The Student Room Group

Have any Oxford rejects received feedback yet?

I was rejected pre-interview on December 1st 2021 and requested feedback two days later. I received an email to say my request had been logged on 16th December but that it won’t be processed until January. Does anyone know when roughly I can expect to hear feedback?

It’s driving me insane not knowing why I wasn’t good enough to even get an interview.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hamlethoratio
I was rejected pre-interview on December 1st 2021 and requested feedback two days later. I received an email to say my request had been logged on 16th December but that it won’t be processed until January. Does anyone know when roughly I can expect to hear feedback?

It’s driving me insane not knowing why I wasn’t good enough to even get an interview.

I applied for feedback on the 11th of Jan, got an email saying that my request had been noted the day after, but haven't heard anything since. Maybe its normal for feedback to take a long time? What college did you apply to?
My feedback last year came 22nd Feb, so you might have to wait a bit more. Good luck, its quite hard getting over being rejected.
Reply 3
I got my feedback (Engineering, Keble) yesterday afternoon, I'd imagine it's highly dependent on which college you applied to though. Hope this helps.

Original post by gp2
I applied for feedback on the 11th of Jan, got an email saying that my request had been noted the day after, but haven't heard anything since. Maybe its normal for feedback to take a long time? What college did you apply to?

Maybe it is normal but it has a certain amount of working days listed on the website apparently so who knows! Balliol, what about you? And how are you feeling about the rejection?
Original post by ran-dumb
My feedback last year came 22nd Feb, so you might have to wait a bit more. Good luck, its quite hard getting over being rejected.

Were you rejected pre-interview though or did your request feedback after decisions day in Jan as it should surely be quicker if you requested feedback longer ago? Thank you, it is hard but I’ve had my time to reflect upon it :smile:
Original post by pezasus
I got my feedback (Engineering, Keble) yesterday afternoon, I'd imagine it's highly dependent on which college you applied to though. Hope this helps.

Was that for a pre-interview rejection? As maybe I can expect mine soon then? I applied to Balliol and well they were very slow with giving the initial interview decision so they don’t seem very on the ball haha. I hope you’re feeling ok after receiving your feedback though!
Were you rejected pre-interview though or did your request feedback after decisions day in Jan as it should surely be quicker if you requested feedback longer ago? Thank you, it is hard but I’ve had my time to reflect upon it :smile:

Yeah it was after decisions day so thats why. Remember it hasn't got that much to do with you, just how the process is
Reply 8
Was that for a pre-interview rejection? As maybe I can expect mine soon then? I applied to Balliol and well they were very slow with giving the initial interview decision so they don’t seem very on the ball haha. I hope you’re feeling ok after receiving your feedback though!

It was a pre-interview rejection, so maybe(?) you can expect something soon. iirc they were pretty punctual with the rejection (i.e. they gave it the same time as they were giving them last year) so maybe admissions is just pretty good.

Tbh I was a little annoyed with the feedback I was given as I got the average score in the PAT for shortlisted candidates but think that I was rejected due to my GCSEs (not all 8's and 9's which was mentioned in the general feedback as a characteristic of most shortlisted candidates). It is what it is though.
Reply 9
Original post by pezasus
It was a pre-interview rejection, so maybe(?) you can expect something soon. iirc they were pretty punctual with the rejection (i.e. they gave it the same time as they were giving them last year) so maybe admissions is just pretty good.

Tbh I was a little annoyed with the feedback I was given as I got the average score in the PAT for shortlisted candidates but think that I was rejected due to my GCSEs (not all 8's and 9's which was mentioned in the general feedback as a characteristic of most shortlisted candidates). It is what it is though.

Oxford are known to favour high GCSE grades where as Cambridge are more interested in A level grades but offers tend to be higher.The problem is there are only 3000 places for 30,000 places.
I got my feedback yesterday but it was quite vague. To sum up, they basically said everything went well but overall I wasn't as strong as the other candidates. I know sometimes people get more specific feedback such as the scores that they got for their interviews and their written work so I was wondering if maybe I could ask for more targeted feedback?
Original post by Cherokee465
I got my feedback yesterday but it was quite vague. To sum up, they basically said everything went well but overall I wasn't as strong as the other candidates. I know sometimes people get more specific feedback such as the scores that they got for their interviews and their written work so I was wondering if maybe I could ask for more targeted feedback?

You can ask but you might not get. Tbh your type of response is more typical than the more detailed type.
Reply 12
Maybe it is normal but it has a certain amount of working days listed on the website apparently so who knows! Balliol, what about you? And how are you feeling about the rejection?

I applied to Oriel for English Lit, but its quite a small college so maybe that's why? I was gutted about the rejection, but when I asked on here about how to get over it I got so many wonderful replies in response and so that has made me feel a bit better :smile:. Are you going to reapply or does that depend on the feedback you get (when they finally get back to us)?
Reply 13
Original post by pezasus

I was told by my school that this year they didn't value GCSE grades as much (if at all) as they were teacher assessed? Maybe they only made that up though so that we would stress out more about the admissions tests...
I havn't got anything to say that my request has been received, how did you guys ask for it?

I think I was rejected for my interviews because I couldn't have done better in my gcses or predicted grades

I just really want to know
Original post by ran-dumb
Yeah it was after decisions day so thats why. Remember it hasn't got that much to do with you, just how the process is

Ah ok thank you! :smile:
Original post by pezasus

Well I hope so then as I’m really curious! That is annoying and actually that’s so unfair because we didn’t even sit our GCSEs (assuming you’re not a reapplicant or gap year student). My GCSEs were all 8/9s and one 7, and my A-Level predictions were 3 A*’s with an achieved A* in EPQ already so if they say my GCSE grades weren’t good enough as they weren’t all 9s I’ll be quite annoyed tbh.

good luck with your other uni choices btw!
Original post by Scotney
Oxford are known to favour high GCSE grades where as Cambridge are more interested in A level grades but offers tend to be higher.The problem is there are only 3000 places for 30,000 places.

How high GCSEs tho?? Mine were all 8/9s and one 7 so I do wonder if that was good enough or maybe the problem.
Original post by gp2
I applied to Oriel for English Lit, but its quite a small college so maybe that's why? I was gutted about the rejection, but when I asked on here about how to get over it I got so many wonderful replies in response and so that has made me feel a bit better :smile:. Are you going to reapply or does that depend on the feedback you get (when they finally get back to us)?

Ah ok thank you and yes maybe! Oh that’s lovely and I’m glad it made you feel a bit better. Honestly the rejection sucks but I guess sometimes things do just happen for a reason and I’ve been trying to think that at least.

I’m defo not going to reapply! I honestly gave it my best shot and i couldn’t do better for myself so I would rather move on now and go to another uni I think. Are you going to reapply?
Original post by JessD3333
I havn't got anything to say that my request has been received, how did you guys ask for it?

I think I was rejected for my interviews because I couldn't have done better in my gcses or predicted grades

I just really want to know

I literally just sent a reply to the rejection email they sent me saying “I would like to request feedback on my application and find out why I was rejected”. I emailed in early December and they got back to me on 16th December saying my request has been logged. So maybe you have to wait a little bit??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending