The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

Ask A Sunderland Student!

Thinking of heading to the university of Sunderland and have a few questions? I'm happy to help!
I'm heading into 3rd year Animation and Games Art plus a foundation year means I have 4yrs under my belt come September.

If I can't answer your question then I'll ask someone who can!
Original post by ManicGoblin
Thinking of heading to the university of Sunderland and have a few questions? I'm happy to help!
I'm heading into 3rd year Animation and Games Art plus a foundation year means I have 4yrs under my belt come September.

This is a lovely thread, thank you. I've moved it into the university of sunderland forum. :smile:

To get the ball rolling... what is the best thing and the worst thing about studying in Sunderland?
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for moving it! I had no idea where to put it. :smile:
I just thought it might help any new or returning students settle on a university a little bit better.

So, the best thing I would say (and if I could only pick one!) is definitely the lecturers, although I might be a bit biased. My lecturers are Chris McQuillan, Ros Allen, Nick Lewis, Neil Ewins and Mark Rogerson. They are five of the most patient, helpful people I've ever come across in my education. All the university lecturers I've met so far have been lovely and happy to help even if they don't teach your subject. Never be afraid to ask for help. :smile:

The worst thing I'd say is the choice of accommodation, they're all quite far away from the campuses and I ended up moving to private housing because of it. The university has done it's best to combat this with a free bus system available to students but sometimes you don't want to be trudging to the bus stop in a gale and pouring rain. :smile:

I hope this helped!

Hello,
How’s the fine art course in uni of sunderland?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,
How’s the fine art course in uni of sunderland?

Hey there! I’m not on the fine art course personally but we share a lot of the same lecturers I believe. You’ll deal with a lot of mixed media and the main focus will be on traditional art (drawn/painted by hand as opposed to digital) if you have a more specific question about the fine art course I’m sure I can get a better answer for you if that’s ok?

Thanks for sharing your insight :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
Thanks for sharing your insight :smile:

It's my pleasure :smile:
Hi, how is the undergrad mental health nursing course?
Original post by MHnursestudent22

I’d have to ask a current student on this course! I will post the response in here as soon as I get one!

Not good. Poorly managed and organised, lecturers do not communicate. Other universities are better for it, it hasn’t been offered for long at Sunderland. The accommodations etc at Sunderland are awful too, my accommodation is disgusting and being homeless was honestly better. I’d avoid
Not good. Poorly managed and organised, lecturers do not communicate. Other universities are better for it, it hasn’t been offered for long at Sunderland. The accommodations etc at Sunderland are awful too, my accommodation is disgusting and being homeless was honestly better. I’d avoid

oh dear! ive just accepted my place aswell 😬

Thank you for your honest opinion, I’m sorry I took too long getting the answer off a mental health nurse
oh dear! ive just accepted my place aswell 😬

You can always offer it back up again to my knowledge! If you think Sunderland isn’t for you, I’d recommend looking into Northumbrias mental health nursing course. I’ve heard good things
Hey there I'm wondering about taking primary education at Sunderland and wondering if it was good
Original post by Epicgoblin
Hey there I'm wondering about taking primary education at Sunderland and wondering if it was good

I'll have to ask a student who is studying Primary Ed however, I've heard good things and everyone I've talked to on the course seem to enjoy it. would you like me to get more in-detail info for you?
Original post by Epicgoblin

This is my current course :smile:

I'm in 2nd year and loving it so far is there anything specific you'd like to know?
Hi - I’m looking at the MA Radio Production. Is it anyone good? Are the facilities top notch (they say they’ve opened a new studio?!!)? Lectures, practical work etc? Would love to hear from someone doing the course. Cheers
Original post by AmeliesTail
Hi - I’m looking at the MA Radio Production. Is it anyone good? Are the facilities top notch (they say they’ve opened a new studio?!!)? Lectures, practical work etc? Would love to hear from someone doing the course. Cheers

Yes!! I love the course, is this for 2022 entry?
As far as facilities go, I'd say they were pretty top-notch, they're currently working on updating them even more and doing some work on the building at the moment so when it comes to your start date they'll be even better.
What is it that attracted you to the course?
The lectures are decent, it's a mix of group projects that can be anything from a workshop to a studio session but the lecturer also hosts tutorials and seminars too, so a good mix really.
Assessments are based on the practical work too.
Have you signed up for an open day yet? It's a great way to gain insight into the course, chat with current students and explore the facilities for yourself.

Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending