The Student Room Group

applying to Oxbridge post a-level

hi,
dumb question for applying to veterinary med but do you just apply via UCAS during oct ?
im currently in year 12 but don't want to apply this year due to lack of work experience / eating disorder relapse, how exactly would i apply in year 13 with my actual A-levels ? thanks
Reply 1
Original post by strwberrynewts
hi,
dumb question for applying to veterinary med but do you just apply via UCAS during oct ?
im currently in year 12 but don't want to apply this year due to lack of work experience / eating disorder relapse, how exactly would i apply in year 13 with my actual A-levels ? thanks

Not a dumb question don't worry! I applied for Cambridge to study vet med last October and got a place so if you need any help just let me know! Yes you apply via UCAS in October, the oxbridge deadline is the same as the vet deadline for all unis in early October, think it was the 15th for me.

Also, I assume you mean you are finishing y12 now and going into y13 next year? If you don't want to go straight after A levels you can either apply this October and defer or apply next October, both options will give you a gap year. There are pros and cons to both, so it's just what will work best for you! If you apply after your A levels, you should be able to contact your college for them to write you a reference. I applied after taking two gap years and although it was harder than doing it at college, it wasn't nearly as hard as I was worried it'd be and I was able to get support from my past teachers.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I haven't explained anything properly!
Original post by oajs14
Not a dumb question don't worry! I applied for Cambridge to study vet med last October and got a place so if you need any help just let me know! Yes you apply via UCAS in October, the oxbridge deadline is the same as the vet deadline for all unis in early October, think it was the 15th for me.

Also, I assume you mean you are finishing y12 now and going into y13 next year? If you don't want to go straight after A levels you can either apply this October and defer or apply next October, both options will give you a gap year. There are pros and cons to both, so it's just what will work best for you! If you apply after your A levels, you should be able to contact your college for them to write you a reference. I applied after taking two gap years and although it was harder than doing it at college, it wasn't nearly as hard as I was worried it'd be and I was able to get support from my past teachers.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if I haven't explained anything properly!

thats great thank you !
i dont want to apply this year as i wasnt able to compete my mocks this year - possibly can complete by 21st July, i still have predicted As / A*s but not from mocks if that makes sense
all of my maths mocks will be from 6th - 11th of July / Bio + Chem will be 20th- 21st, however im not sure if unis would accept the results due to the delay (due to me missing 1/2 the year)
thats great thank you !
i dont want to apply this year as i wasnt able to compete my mocks this year - possibly can complete by 21st July, i still have predicted As / A*s but not from mocks if that makes sense
all of my maths mocks will be from 6th - 11th of July / Bio + Chem will be 20th- 21st, however im not sure if unis would accept the results due to the delay (due to me missing 1/2 the year)

Unis don't care about mocks - they just ask for predicted grades. Every school does mocks differently, and predicted grades will be based on more than just mocks.
One thing to watch is that not all vet schools allow you to defer - I know Glasgow don't.
As above, unis don't see your mocks, they only see your predicted grades which are set by your subject teachers, so I'd speak to them about what they want to do for those - maybe they'll let you sit some papers in September for example? Work experience may be an issue, however you still have time to try find some this summer - currently most of the unis still have relaxed requirements for this so it is something to look into. There's no issue in taking a gap year to apply though and get well yourself and work on your application, having grades means you get unconditional offers which takes the pressure off a bit, and a lot of people on the vet course aren't straight from A Levels anyway. I applied in school the first time and got all rejections so I reapplied on a gap year and just finished first year at Liverpool. You could see if you can apply in Year 13 though purely as there is still a chance of getting in, and you'd at least be able to experience the application process which I think is very useful overall.
" having grades means you get unconditional offers which takes the pressure off a bit "
is that referring to actual A-levels or predicted / potential grades ?
" having grades means you get unconditional offers which takes the pressure off a bit "
is that referring to actual A-levels or predicted / potential grades ?

Received grades, since this entire thread is about applying post qualification and it makes no sense in the context of predicted grades...where you'd get a conditional offer.
Original post by artful_lounger
Received grades, since this entire thread is about applying post qualification and it makes no sense in the context of predicted grades...where you'd get a conditional offer.

ah sorry ! i couldnt get a clear answer on google and figured asking here would be better !
Reply 8
ah sorry ! i couldnt get a clear answer on google and figured asking here would be better !

Don’t feel the need to apologise - everyone’s on here to ask and answer questions ! And don’t let an overly blunt/arguably insensitive answer make you feel stupid haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending