The Student Room Group

Visiting from South Africa

I'm coming to the UK in September 2022 to visit 15 different universities around England and Scotland and to check out course options and get a feel for the different areas. What advice would you have for me, what questions would you recommend I ask the universities, and what's the thing you love most about the university you attend/area you live in. I'll be visiting Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle, Reading, Plymouth, Bristol, Warwick and Coventry (if that helps).
Original post by kyraxrae
I'm coming to the UK in September 2022 to visit 15 different universities around England and Scotland and to check out course options and get a feel for the different areas. What advice would you have for me, what questions would you recommend I ask the universities, and what's the thing you love most about the university you attend/area you live in. I'll be visiting Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Newcastle, Reading, Plymouth, Bristol, Warwick and Coventry (if that helps).

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year student at the uni of Nottingham.

I would highly recommend taking a walk around the campus. The boating lake, trent building, the big green area in the centre of campus (the downs) and the sports centre are all really nice parts of campus.
If you get a chance to go into the city the main areas I would recommend are old market square and Hockley. These, especially hockley, are really good for some nice food and shopping.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions just let me know,
Emily :smile:

Hi Kyraxrae,

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Plymouth and I think most people that study here would say that one of the best things about Plymouth is the place itself. It's right by the sea and the university is in such a great location, right in the heart of the city, so you're close to everything you could need. In terms of the university the staff are incredibly supportive and help you to make that transition into higher education.

Which courses are you looking at? For general questions I'd suggest asking about course details so you know which one seems the most interesting to you and I'd definitely go along to the accommodation tours to ask any questions you have about that.

Let me know if you have any more questions about Plymouth and the university.

Sophie- University of Plymouth postgrad rep
Reply 3
Original post by EmilyClarke24
Hey,

I am a current 3rd year student at the uni of Nottingham.

I would highly recommend taking a walk around the campus. The boating lake, trent building, the big green area in the centre of campus (the downs) and the sports centre are all really nice parts of campus.
If you get a chance to go into the city the main areas I would recommend are old market square and Hockley. These, especially hockley, are really good for some nice food and shopping.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions just let me know,

Hi Emily :smile:

Thank you so much for your input. I’ll definitely check out the old market square and hockley as well as take a tour around the campus.

Do you know if it’s possible to book a tour or an appointment with someone? The dates i’m in nottingham don’t seem to coincide with any open days :frown:

Also, although i’d be a first year, i’ll be 21 when I start next year. Since i’m from South Africa, I did a matric (year 12) and then did my AS and A levels as well. Do you think i’d be at a disadvantage coming in at 21 or do you rate there’d be other first years.

Also, how friendly would you say the people of Nottingham/the university are towards foreigners/international students?

Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Plymouth Postgraduate Student Rep
Hi Kyraxrae,

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Plymouth and I think most people that study here would say that one of the best things about Plymouth is the place itself. It's right by the sea and the university is in such a great location, right in the heart of the city, so you're close to everything you could need. In terms of the university the staff are incredibly supportive and help you to make that transition into higher education.

Which courses are you looking at? For general questions I'd suggest asking about course details so you know which one seems the most interesting to you and I'd definitely go along to the accommodation tours to ask any questions you have about that.

Let me know if you have any more questions about Plymouth and the university.

Sophie- University of Plymouth postgrad rep

Hi Sophie, thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I’m definitely going to explore the city on the day that I’m there, I’ve heard it’s really beautiful and from the planning I’ve done so far I can see that the university is really close to everything so that’s great.

I’m stoked to hear the staff are supportive in the transition, as an international student i’m definitely looking for that in the university I choose. I wanted to ask, I’ll be 21 when I’m in first year. Do you think I’ll be at a disadvantage/struggle to fit in or is that not really frowned upon in the UK?

As for courses, I haven’t decided definitively on that. I was hoping to speak to someone at each university to ask what they’d recommend based on my interests/grades/qualifications. Is that a possibility in the UK? (not sure how the system works over there and my research is coming up empty handed.) I’m definitely looking to study something that has a creative aspect and a business aspect to it (like Graphic Design.) if you have any recommendations.

With regards to accommodation, does one have to stay on campus if they study there? I’m actually moving to the UK with someone and we’re hoping to stay in a student age group apartment building (if that’s a thing) or somewhere near the university as they’ll be working while i’m studying.

Finally, are students allowed to have part time jobs while they study at Plymouth? From what I’ve seen, some places don’t allow international students to have part time jobs

Thanks for all your help :smile: Kyraxrae
(edited 1 year ago)

Which degree? Coventry isn't on a par with the others ...

Have you checked the Open Days work with your visit?

Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen! If it's of interest to you you can book onto a campus visit while you're up with us, we can show you some parts of the campus relevant to what you want to study and also arrange a meeting with an academic if you would like. You can book onto a tour here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/campus-visit.php

- Matthew

I’m definitely going to explore the city on the day that I’m there, I’ve heard it’s really beautiful and from the planning I’ve done so far I can see that the university is really close to everything so that’s great.

I’m stoked to hear the staff are supportive in the transition, as an international student i’m definitely looking for that in the university I choose. I wanted to ask, I’ll be 21 when I’m in first year. Do you think I’ll be at a disadvantage/struggle to fit in or is that not really frowned upon in the UK?

As for courses, I haven’t decided definitively on that. I was hoping to speak to someone at each university to ask what they’d recommend based on my interests/grades/qualifications. Is that a possibility in the UK? (not sure how the system works over there and my research is coming up empty handed.) I’m definitely looking to study something that has a creative aspect and a business aspect to it (like Graphic Design.) if you have any recommendations.

With regards to accommodation, does one have to stay on campus if they study there? I’m actually moving to the UK with someone and we’re hoping to stay in a student age group apartment building (if that’s a thing) or somewhere near the university as they’ll be working while i’m studying.

Finally, are students allowed to have part time jobs while they study at Plymouth? From what I’ve seen, some places don’t allow international students to have part time jobs

Hi Kyraxrae,

I'm so glad you're going to explore the city, it really is beautiful and it was one of the main things that made me want to go to Plymouth. There's no disadvantage for being 21 when you start at all, there's usually a mixture of people of all ages on the course and many of the people on my course were around that age when they started.

In terms of the course I think it's great if you have a basic idea of what you want to do. I'd recommend attending the talks for graphic design and similar courses to see what's available but of course you are free to chat with the lecturers and other staff who can give you some advice on what would suit you best. I know a few people who did graphic design here and really enjoyed it.

You don't have to stay on campus, you're free to live wherever you want. There's plenty of student housing companies who can help you find a flat or house in the city, either just for you and your friend or to be put in with other students. These are approved by the university but not run by them. If you need any recommendations for student housing companies let me know.

You absolutely can have a part time job at Plymouth, there's nothing to stop you. I would be cautious that your timetables will change throughout the year so when applying to jobs you might want to take that into consideration and forewarn any future employer.

I hope you have fun on your visit to Plymouth and I'm happy to help if you have more questions!

Sophie

Hi there!

I'm currently studying at the University of Sheffield and have been here 4 years and love it! It's a very friendly city and is nestled in the Peak District so surrounded by beautiful countryside and rolling hills. Sheffield is one of the UK’s greenest cities. We have around 250 parks, woodlands and gardens, with an estimated 4.5 million trees! You'll see plenty of these as you walk around the University and the City Centre.

I would recommend visiting our Students Union (the campus is right on the edge of the city centre so you will be able to walk round most of it and get a good feel for the place). I'd also recommend booking a campus tour so you don't miss anything! You can see more information about this here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit/campus-tours

What course are you looking to study?

Please do get in touch if you have any questions about Sheffield - I'd love to help!

Hope you have a wonderful UK visit! :smile:

Emily
- MA Psychology of Music

If you're interested in pursuing graphic design, you'll need a portfolio of design work to be accepted onto a graphic design degree. I'd suggest having that online before you speak to these places.

The best graphic design degrees in the UK don't tend to be in the 'best' Universities. The majority of the Unis you're planning to visit don't have design degrees (so for example, you'd need to visit Sheffield Hallam rather than Sheffield Uni, or UWE rather than Bristol Uni).
Reply 10
Original post by UoA Enquiry Team
Hi, this is the University of Aberdeen! If it's of interest to you you can book onto a campus visit while you're up with us, we can show you some parts of the campus relevant to what you want to study and also arrange a meeting with an academic if you would like. You can book onto a tour here: https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/campus-visit.php

- Matthew

Hi Matthew

I'd definitely be interested in booking a campus visit and speaking to an academic. It seems the link only allows me to book two weeks in advance so I'll do so in September as I'm planning to visit the University of Aberdeen on Friday the 23rd of September.

Thank you so much for the information and advice :smile:
Hi Emily :smile:

Thank you so much for your input. I’ll definitely check out the old market square and hockley as well as take a tour around the campus.

Do you know if it’s possible to book a tour or an appointment with someone? The dates i’m in nottingham don’t seem to coincide with any open days :frown:

Also, although i’d be a first year, i’ll be 21 when I start next year. Since i’m from South Africa, I did a matric (year 12) and then did my AS and A levels as well. Do you think i’d be at a disadvantage coming in at 21 or do you rate there’d be other first years.

Also, how friendly would you say the people of Nottingham/the university are towards foreigners/international students?

Thank you so much for your help :smile:

No worries at all.

I am not sure if it is possible to book a tour with anyone as most people will be on summer leave etc. If you have any course specific questions I would go on the uni of nottingham page for the subject (just search uon subject on google) and if you scroll down to the bottom of the page there should be some contact details for the course directors.
Google maps works well around campus so I would highly recommend using that. Some good places on campus to see are:
Trent building
Portland building (SU building)
The lake (Highfields park)
David ross sports village (if you ask at reception and say you are a prospective student you might be able to have a tour/look around)
George green library, Monica partridge building, Hallwood library (all good places to do work)
The downs
Wollaton park (slightly off campus but popular with students and a nice place for a walk if you get the time)

In terms of age I really wouldn't worry. I knew a few 'older' people in my first year and made really good friends with some. I feel like when you get there age doesn't really matter as long as you put yourself out there just as much as anyone else.
Nottingham also has a really large international student population so you would not be alone in that. Many people come on scholarships, year abroad or just to have the experience. There are also societies for every country so if you wanted to find other people studying at Nottingham from where you are from then that should be really easy. Everyone at uni (especially in first year) is just trying to establish themselves and make as many friends as possible so from my experience age or background doesn't play a role in that at all and is largely ignored (in the nicest way possible haha).

I hope this helps but again if you think of any questions just let me know,
Reply 12
Original post by University of Plymouth Postgraduate Student Rep
Hi Kyraxrae,

I'm so glad you're going to explore the city, it really is beautiful and it was one of the main things that made me want to go to Plymouth. There's no disadvantage for being 21 when you start at all, there's usually a mixture of people of all ages on the course and many of the people on my course were around that age when they started.

In terms of the course I think it's great if you have a basic idea of what you want to do. I'd recommend attending the talks for graphic design and similar courses to see what's available but of course you are free to chat with the lecturers and other staff who can give you some advice on what would suit you best. I know a few people who did graphic design here and really enjoyed it.

You don't have to stay on campus, you're free to live wherever you want. There's plenty of student housing companies who can help you find a flat or house in the city, either just for you and your friend or to be put in with other students. These are approved by the university but not run by them. If you need any recommendations for student housing companies let me know.

You absolutely can have a part time job at Plymouth, there's nothing to stop you. I would be cautious that your timetables will change throughout the year so when applying to jobs you might want to take that into consideration and forewarn any future employer.

I hope you have fun on your visit to Plymouth and I'm happy to help if you have more questions!

Sophie

Hi Sophie. I'd love some recommendations for student housing companies! Thank you for all your help :smile:
Hi Sophie. I'd love some recommendations for student housing companies! Thank you for all your help :smile:

Hi kyraxrae,

I’d say the main companies in Plymouth are Clever Student Lets, A Home After Halls and City Let’s but there’s many more. Personally I’ve used Clever Students and A Home After Halls in the past and I’d say A Home After Halls were better in terms of their maintenance and communication. But it’s a good idea to contact a few companies and try and see what they have available. I hope that helps!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending