The Student Room Group

Societies

Hey all,

I am from Mauritius and I was wondering which unis have the most Mauritians/ Mauritian societies!!!
Original post by curiousgeorge12
Hey all,

I am from Mauritius and I was wondering which unis have the most Mauritians/ Mauritian societies!!!

Hi there @curiousgeorge12 ,
It's great that you are interested in finding a society for Mauritians. I'm not sure which university has the most Mauritians but However, I can confirm that DMU has a very diverse population of students and I myself am an international student from South Africa which is not that far from you. I've had the privilege to visit Mauritius a few times and I still miss all the sugar cane! Definitely one of the most beautiful places in the world.

I have met some students from my country and plenty from all over the world! My country does not have it's own society but maybe one day in the future someone will start it ( maybe me , who knows ).
The great thing is you can start your own Mauritian society when you get to university. Just make sure to find a university that has a diverse student population as that will increase the likelihood of you finding people from your country.

I hope this helps a little and good luck on finding your Mauritian community.
Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi there,

Based on my extensive research, London South Bank University used to have a Mauritian Society.

However, eventually no one stepped in as the new group leader so the club hasn't resumed ever since.

Nevertheless, as an International Student myself I can promise you that LSBU is one of the most diverse universities in the UK, where you can find multiple students as well as faculty staff from Mauritius.

Additionally, if the Mauritian Society is not running by the time you decide to begin your studies, you can easily start one on your own. Just speak to a member of the student union and they will help you set everything up.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by curiousgeorge12
Hey all,

Hi there!

Firstly it's great to see you are considering study in the UK - it'll make for a new and exciting experience. I am a second year student from Switzerland at Lancaster University. Whilst we don't offer specifically a Mauritian society, the next best suggestion I have is the "African & Caribbean Society". Unfortunately, I don't have the exact statistics on how many Mauritians we have here, or which university has the most. However, I can let you know that Lancaster is an incredibly diverse university and roughly 25% of our students come from outside of the EU. On top of this the university organises lots of meet and greet events/socials for international students so there will be plenty of opportunities for you to meet students from your home country.

Switzerland is also quite a small country and despite Lancaster not having a Swiss society, I have met quite a few students alos from Switzerland. Plus, once you are at university there's always the option for you to start your own society. Each university will have its own process you have to go through to do so, but this could be a good option if you wanted a Mauritian Society!

I hope this helped and I wish you the best in your search for a university!

Aimée (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending