The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Daym. Bater is real insight. I teach well.

Any unofficial mark schemes online?

I am scared of my method for 4 b). Everyone is talking of double IBP when I just solved the 1st order ODE like you normally do - auxiliary equation to find c.f and then p.i. Student did it by differentiating to get 2nd order and then finding c.f and p.i. Is that really necessary though? I swear in M5 you get to finding 1st order vector ODEs using my method. No idea why he thinks you need 2nd order to solve it.

Other than that, this was a pretty standard paper. I think 75/75, so that makes it pretty easy to meet my Further Maths offer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BlazingCharizard
p dx/dt + q = r

you forgot the x after q otherwise it wouldn't work..
for the first order integral question part b=====>> dy/dy + 2y = sin theta , if i used the limits to find that the constant c was equal to 1/5, and i got the rest right, but in the final working line, when stating the full y=, i put 1/5 instead of 1/5 e^(-2 theta) ,

would that only cost me one last accuracy mark ?!?
Original post by Pixel_Green
20160608_175606.jpg

They gave you that x = 0 when t = 0 so you could find the value of c which was -r/q
Original post by Insight314

I am scared of my method for 4 b). Everyone is talking of double IBP when I just solved the 1st order ODE like you normally do - auxiliary equation to find c.f and then p.i. Student did it by differentiating to get 2nd order and then finding c.f and p.i. Is that really necessary though? I swear in M5 you get to finding 1st order vector ODEs using my method. No idea why he thinks you need 2nd order to solve it.

Other than that, this was a pretty standard paper. I think 75/75, so that makes it pretty easy to meet my Further Maths offer. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shw me ur method.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student403
Yes that's exactly the combination I'm looking to have for an A*

90 average in FP2, M2, M3

And then S2, FP3, FP1 can be whatever

Ah I'm the same but hated stats so I chose D1 over S2
Original post by somevirtualguy
Ah I'm the same but hated stats so I chose D1 over S2

I hate stats too :tongue: I also take D1. I was hoping to knock off one of my M1 or S1 in my normal Maths A level with a good mark in D1 so that probably won't count towards FM
1465405554204901695438.jpg
Original post by coolguy123456
They gave you that x = 0 when t = 0 so you could find the value of c which was -r/q

In that case...
Just verify your solution works.
Or have you forgotten what it was...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by somevirtualguy
So, just to on confirm (sorry I know you've been asked so many times), an average of 90% across M2, M3 and FP2 would be fine for an A*? I also do FP3, whether or not that makes a difference I've no idea.

That would be more than fine, yes.
Shw me ur method.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465405839.248518.jpg

Prove me wrong.

Pro-tip: You can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did the inequality question have surd roots?
Actually so relieved it is over because I at least know now that I cannot mess up FP3 if uni is still an option 😂😥
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465405839.248518.jpg

Prove me wrong.

Pro-tip: You can't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its fine lol. Nice one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
are there any solutions anywhere?
Original post by EricPiphany
Just verify your solution works.
Or have you forgotten what it was...

Posted above m8.

How did you find it?

I bet the mandem down at STEP prep thread finished this paper in half the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CALI1198
Did the inequality question have surd roots?

Yes.

(x+1)(x+2)(x22)<0(x+1)(x+2)(x^{2}-2)< 0

x4x^{4} graph that intersects the x-axis at x=2,2,1,2x = -2, -\sqrt{2}, -1, \sqrt{2}

Draw the x4x^{4} graph and find where it is <0< 0
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pixel_Green
1465405554204901695438.jpg

In that case...

I got the same as you. Is that correct?
Its fine lol. Nice one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Told you m8. Doubting my maths skills. Now I can finally act like a proper lad and tell my friends it is a very easy paper.

Btw, is Student's method wrong then? It was posted a few pages back but he pretty much did the same think except differentiating the ODE at the start so he can get a 2nd order ODE. This makes him get a quadratic auxiliary equation, with roots 0 and -2, whereas my method only has one root which is -2. So his complementary function would be wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by edothero
Yes.

(x+1)(x+2)(x22)<0(x+1)(x+2)(x^{2}-2)< 0

x4x^{4} graph that intersects the x-axis at x=2,2,1,2x = -2, -\sqrt{2}, -1, \sqrt{2}

Draw the x4x^{4} and find where it is <0< 0

Thank god. I just saw someone talking about whole numbers for that one. Would have been dreadful if i didnt even get that.

How many marks would you drop on the method of differences Q if you coikdnt get past doing the whole r=1,2..n stuff?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending