The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    - Introduce yourself
    I'm Ellie!

- What are your hobbies and interests?
    I love writing, reading, movies, tv shows, poetry and philosophy

- How many GCSEs are you taking?
    English Lit and Lang (AQA) - predicted (9)(9)
    Mathematics (Edexcel) (8)
    Biology (AQA) (A*)
    Chemistry (AQA) (A)
    Physics (AQA) (A)
    RE (OCR) (A*)
    History (OCR) (A*)
    Spanish (AQA) (A*)
    Computer Science (AQA) (A)

I am predicted 7A* and 3A, so I'm extremely worried because these grades are so ideal and I really want to get them.

- Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?
    Yes and no! I think I'm making myself more worried than I need to be. I have amazing predictions and I really want to meet them and I know that I am capable but I just worry that I'll overwork myself. I haven't done any revision this summer even though I had set out to do a lot and I'm worried that that will hinder me. I feel like thestudentroom often givens out this false idea that you have to be revising 24/7 in order to be a successful student but I really needed this summer to recharge and get ready for full-on work mode come September. Now I'm worried that my mocks won't go well even though mocks essentially don't mean anything. This worrying is getting me nowhere and bears no logic because I know that I am and will be an A/A* student but I can't help feeling overwhelmed about what is to come and how I will manage and organise revision.

- What's your favourite subject(s)?
    English Literature, History and RE

- What's your dream career? (If you don't know that's completely fine, we're only in Year 11 so you still have time to think.)
    I want to be a screenwriter and go into the film industry! I'm a very shy person but I'm fascinated by film and writing so I feel like screenwriting is the ideal field for me. I'm really excited about my future and optimistic that things will go to plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseeb798)
    Hi my name is Haseeb Ali and I am from Bradford. My hobbies are playing football, tennis and playing FIFA 16 on the ps4. I am taking 12 successful GCSE'S, which are:
    (-the grade I hope to get)

Chemistry (AQA)-A*
    Biology (AQA)- A*
    Physics (AQA)-A*
    Geography (AQA)- A*
    RE (AQA)- A
    PE (Edexcel)- A/B
    Spanish (AQA)- A
    Statistics (Edexcel)- A*
    English Language (AQA)- A*(9)
    English Literature (AQA)- A (7)
    Maths (Edexcel)- A (7)
    IT (Edexcel)- A

6A*'s and 6A's would be amazing.

My favourite subjects are Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Geography.

I believe I am ready for the new spec for English language but not so much Literature, as we hacen done any mocks, so I dont know what grade I am at. The maths I am definitely not ready, as the pixl paper's we did were very hard but still got an A in the first mock I did, which was the old spec.
    I believe I can get a number grade of 9 in English language as I fully know how to understand and answer the questions.

My dream career is Medicine and would love to study it at the university of Imperial. I want to do this because I find it really interesting and have been inspired to do this career since I got into year 7. Also, I have an uncle who is a GP, so he was an inspiration to me. I know everything you need to get into medicine and the grades. Also, I have done plenty of research on the different universities I would like to go to. The coarse is 5 years but some universities, the best one's, like Oxbridge and imperial, you have to do an extra year in which you will fulfill another degree like Psychology, so you graduate with 2 degree's. It is compulsory for these universities and temporary for other's. You either do the UKCAT or BMAT. Most universities do UKCAT. Oxbridge, imperial, Leeds.etc. do the BMAT. This is some information about medicine.

For A - levels, I would be taking Biology, Chemistry and psychology. But if I have to choose a forth it would be maths but this is not definite as we are doing the new spec for maths in a level and would be extremely hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Haseeb!

Have you done any work at all for English Literature? If so, you can just do mocks in your own time, and assess your current progress yourself! If you need any help with Maths, don't hesitate to ask on this thread!

Good luck with a future career in medicine!

ReputationRep:
    I know i sent this just before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    - Introduce yourself
    I'm Ellie!

- What are your hobbies and interests?
    I love writing, reading, movies, tv shows, poetry and philosophy

- How many GCSEs are you taking?
    English Lit and Lang (AQA) - predicted (9)(9)
    Mathematics (Edexcel) (8)
    Biology (AQA) (A*)
    Chemistry (AQA) (A)
    Physics (AQA) (A)
    RE (OCR) (A*)
    History (OCR) (A*)
    Spanish (AQA) (A*)
    Computer Science (AQA) (A)

I am predicted 7A* and 3A, so I'm extremely worried because these grades are so ideal and I really want to get them.

- Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?
    Yes and no! I think I'm making myself more worried than I need to be. I have amazing predictions and I really want to meet them and I know that I am capable but I just worry that I'll overwork myself. I haven't done any revision this summer even though I had set out to do a lot and I'm worried that that will hinder me. I feel like thestudentroom often givens out this false idea that you have to be revising 24/7 in order to be a successful student but I really needed this summer to recharge and get ready for full-on work mode come September. Now I'm worried that my mocks won't go well even though mocks essentially don't mean anything. This worrying is getting me nowhere and bears no logic because I know that I am and will be an A/A* student but I can't help feeling overwhelmed about what is to come and how I will manage and organise revision.

- What's your favourite subject(s)?
    English Literature, History and RE

- What's your dream career? (If you don't know that's completely fine, we're only in Year 11 so you still have time to think.)
    I want to be a screenwriter and go into the film industry! I'm a very shy person but I'm fascinated by film and writing so I feel like screenwriting is the ideal field for me. I'm really excited about my future and optimistic that things will go to plan.
    Hi Ellie!

Don't feel overwhelmed. If you start early, you will have plenty of time to prepare. I'm sure you'll do well! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Hi Ellie!

Don't feel overwhelmed. If you start early, you will have plenty of time to prepare. I'm sure you'll do well! Good luck!
    When are you going to start revising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    When are you going to start revising?
    I'm not sure. I'll start creating notes as I learn in Year 11, while the information is still fresh. I'll probably start serious revision sometime early next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Hi Haseeb!

Have you done any work at all for English Literature? If so, you can just do mocks in your own time, and assess your current progress yourself! If you need any help with Maths, don't hesitate to ask on this thread!

Good luck with a future career in medicine!
    Yh we have nearly finished all the work. We have Christmas Carol left only and finished all the work. Then its just revision as we have finished all the work for language, so will have a whole year for revision until exams which is really good. I have a mock after the holidays (paper 2).
    Good luck to your future career. What career would that be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also wondering when to begin revision... especially because of the Dec mocks I have no idea when to begin for those and when for the real thing. And should I revise off my notes from the Y10 mocks or write new ones to get the stuff back in my head?? I'm so confused with this

ReputationRep:
    Yh we have nearly finished all the work. We have Christmas Carol left only and finished all the work. Then its just revision as we have finished all the work for language, so will have a whole year for revision until exams which is really good. I have a mock after the holidays (paper 2).
    Good luck to your future career. What career would that be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would like to do something with hardware and/or software engineering, so I'm aiming to do a degree in computer science!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I would like to do something with hardware and/or software engineering, so I'm aiming to do a degree in computer science!
    What A-levels do you need? Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What A-levels do you need? Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I only really need an A/A* in Maths, but I'm going to take Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and maybe Physics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Daisy

My hobbies and interests are reading, sailing, drama and I'm also quite interested in history.

I'm going into year 11 this September and I'm taking:
    English Language
    English Literature
    Mathematics
    Fine Art
    French (OCR)
    Geography
    History (Edexcel)
    Religious Studies
    Biology (AQA)
    Chemistry (AQA)
    Physics (AQA)

I'm not completely sure what exam boards I'm doing for a couple of them and I did IT last year. My favourite subjects at the moment are history, RS and biology.

I'm really nervous about next year and I'm not completely ready yet, I've still got a lot of homework to do by the end of the summer! I'm going to get more organised though- I've just got a lot of art coursework to finish first.

I don't really know what I want to do when I leave school but I've always wanted do have a job working with the environment or animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glitzmania)
    Is anyone getting some of their gcse results on Thursday. I`m getting my core science results (AQA)
    I'm getting my AQA H Maths result on that day. The grade boundaries are pretty meh so I'm secretly happy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daisy2001)
    I'm Daisy

My hobbies and interests are reading, sailing, drama and I'm also quite interested in history.

I'm going into year 11 this September and I'm taking:
    English Language
    English Literature
    Mathematics
    Fine Art
    French (OCR)
    Geography
    History (Edexcel)
    Religious Studies
    Biology (AQA)
    Chemistry (AQA)
    Physics (AQA)

I'm not completely sure what exam boards I'm doing for a couple of them and I did IT last year. My favourite subjects at the moment are history, RS and biology.

I'm really nervous about next year and I'm not completely ready yet, I've still got a lot of homework to do by the end of the summer! I'm going to get more organised though- I've just got a lot of art coursework to finish first.

I don't really know what I want to do when I leave school but I've always wanted do have a job working with the environment or animals.
    HI Daisy! Welcome to the Current Year 11 Thread !
    You'll find many students with similar subjects/exam boards and aspirations. Feel free to talk on this thread of PM any of the members. I'll be sure they will be willing to help.

Are you considering pursuing Veterinary/Medical Science at a higher level?
    What A-Levels are you considering for the future?

Enjoy your time here on the Current Year 11 Thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    HI Daisy! Welcome to the Current Year 11 Thread !
    You'll find many students with similar subjects/exam boards and aspirations. Feel free to talk on this thread of PM any of the members. I'll be sure they will be willing to help.

Are you considering pursuing Veterinary/Medical Science at a higher level?
    What A-Levels are you considering for the future?

Enjoy your time here on the Current Year 11 Thread
    Hi!
    I'm considering Veterinary/medical science but I'm not completely decided yet because I feel like it would involve quite a bit of maths. I'm not exactly bad at maths but I don't enjoy it that much so it makes me wonder if it would be a struggle if I were to take it for A-level. I don't know if it's necessary but I do think it is useful to have maths alongside chemistry and biology for medical science. I might find I enjoy it more over the course of the next year though so I don't know at the moment.

Subjects that I'd be interested in for A-levels at the moment are: history, English lit, biology, geography, philosophy, chemistry and possibly French so I've got to think quite a bit about careers I'd enjoy that require a combination of some of these A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Hey My name's Ally. I really like to listen to music, like, i cannot live without XD some bands i listen to are Marianas Trench, All Time Low, Bring me the horizon, My chemical Romance, Panic! at the disco, Twenty one pilots XDDDDD. Im taking Maths, Science, English, History, Computing, RE, German and another i can't remember heheh. Most of them are AQA. My favorite is History and i dream of joining the army as a nurse

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my name is Mollie and I'm genuinely f****d for year 11

I'm doing 11 GCSEs which are as followed...
    English Lit (AQA) - 8
    English Lang (AQA) - 8
    Maths (edexcel) - 8/9
    RE (edexcel) - A
    Spanish (edexcel) - A
    French (edexcel) - B
    Art (not actually sure) - A
    Core Science (AQA) - A
    Additional Science (AQA) - A
    Further Additional Science (AQA) - A
    Computer Science (OCR) - A

My favourite subjects are definitely maths, physics, biology and art but I really love further additional chemistry just because it's so much more practical compared to how we are taught core/additional chemistry

I definitely want to join the RAF doing either medicine or engineering (most likely engineering through the sponsorship programme though) and for A-levels, I'm planning on doing...
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Computer Science/Philosophy/Politics

If you wanna ask me anything else before I get myself thrown off a mountain at the start of September, DM me on either this or instagram (@xmollieleigh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moll2015)
    Hi, my name is Mollie and I'm genuinely f****d for year 11

I'm doing 11 GCSEs which are as followed...
    English Lit (AQA) - 8
    English Lang (AQA) - 8
    Maths (edexcel) - 8/9
    RE (edexcel) - A
    Spanish (edexcel) - A
    French (edexcel) - B
    Art (not actually sure) - A
    Core Science (AQA) - A
    Additional Science (AQA) - A
    Further Additional Science (AQA) - A
    Computer Science (OCR) - A

My favourite subjects are definitely maths, physics, biology and art but I really love further additional chemistry just because it's so much more practical compared to how we are taught core/additional chemistry

I definitely want to join the RAF doing either medicine or engineering (most likely engineering through the sponsorship programme though) and for A-levels, I'm planning on doing...
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Computer Science/Philosophy/Politics

If you wanna ask me anything else before I get myself thrown off a mountain at the start of September, DM me on either this or instagram (@xmollieleigh)
    Hi Mollie! Why are you ****ed for Year 11?

(Original post by EternalKiss)
    Hey My name's Ally. I really like to listen to music, like, i cannot live without XD some bands i listen to are Marianas Trench, All Time Low, Bring me the horizon, My chemical Romance, Panic! at the disco, Twenty one pilots XDDDDD. Im taking Maths, Science, English, History, Computing, RE, German and another i can't remember heheh. Most of them are AQA. My favorite is History and i dream of joining the army as a nurse
    Good luck!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Nice music taste, btw

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm Maddy (Lol ik I'm late to this forum)

I'm taking 10 GCSEs, as shown below alongside my predicted grades
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Literature (AQA i think?) - 7
    English Language (AQA i think?) - 7
    Maths (Edexcel) - 8/9
    Chemistry (OCR Gateway) -A*
    Physics (OCR Gateway) - A*
    Biology (OCR Gateway) - A*
    History (OCR Modern World) - A*
    Geography (Edexcel) - A*
    Business Studies (Edexcel) - A*
    German (Edexcel) - A*
    I don't feel ready for GCSEs at all, feeling kinda stressed atm about them (probably because the year above are collecting their results tomorrow). I don't mind the new GCSEs for maths, although it's a bit annoying because I think I would've easily achieved an A* in the old GCSEs, but now I'm between 7,8 & 9. The new English GCSE I'm really struggling with. In the old GCSEs I was getting A* but in the new ones I'm hoping for a pass 5/6 :// Although on the plus side there is NO ENGLISH COURSEWORK!!

My favourite subjects are probably Maths, Chemistry and maybe Geography.
    For A level I'm considering Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bimball)
    Hi, I'm @bimball (Lol ik i'm late to this forum)

I'm taking 10 GCSEs
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Literature (AQA i think?)English Language (AQA i think?)Maths (Edexcel)Chemistry (OCR Gateway)Physics (OCR Gateway) Biology (OCR Gateway) History (OCR Modern World)Geography (Edexcel)Business Studies (Edexcel)German (Edexcel)
    I dont feel ready for GCSEs at all, feeling kinda stressed atm about them (probably because the year above are collecting their results tomorrow). I don't mind the new GCSEs for maths, although it's a bit annoying because i think i would've easily acheived an A* in the old GCSEs, but now I'm between 7,8 & 9. The new English GCSE I'm really struggling with. In the old GCSEs i was getting A* but in the new ones I'm hoping for a pass 5/6 :// Although on the plus side there is NO ENGLISH COURSEWORK!! )

My favourites subjects ar probably Maths, Chemistry and maybe Geography.
    For A level I'm considering Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics
    Welcome to the thread bimball
    You're never too late to join
    What is making you particularly worried about Year 11?

You have interesting A-Level choices! What do you want to pursue in the future (degree/job wise)? (that's if you have a plan yet )

Enjoy your stay here on the Current Year 11 Thread!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.