Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

What's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Don't take A Level Maths without at least an A at GCSE. Do not do Further Maths without an A*. Lastly, Don't do A2 Physics without at least AS Maths.

P.S R.I.P ****ers

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well if it's edexcel, going A2 physics without maths was not a problem at all, IMO. Cause it has very little maths in it.. nothing that a bit of reading up couldn't solve. Dunno about other boards though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moeshaaodonkorr)
    -Work hard from the BEGINNING. It's very tempting to think "oh, I have a whole year, it'll be fine." You'll be surprised just how quickly a year can go by. And I can guarentee you'll look back and think "ffs why was I doing xyz instead of revising earlier." Leaving things until last minute has always been my biggest problem, and take it from me, it's not worth the stress at the end of the year when you realise just how much you have to do in such little time

-I know it might sound weird, but don't get obsessed with UNDERSTANDING everything perfectly at first. Another thing I did wrong. You WILL understand it eventually by going through it over and over again, condensing your notes, doing papers, etc. If you focus on initially completely understanding it perfectly, you will slow down the progression of your revision. Even if you're not 100% clear on it, move on to the next spec point, etc. You will understand it when you keep coming back.

-PAST PAPERS PAST PAPERS PAST PAPERS. You'd be surprised just how strict the mark schemes are on terminology. You think you understand and are writing a perfect answer, only to read the mark scheme and see that you barely got any marks because of how they want you to word it. Especially for science subjects, you NEED to say what is on the mark scheme. DON'T rely on just your knowledge.

-If you're doing an essay-based subject, ESSAY PLANS ESSAY PLANS ESSAY PLANS. These are probably the most useful things you can spend your time doing. For English, e.g. plan your essays around THEMES. Make them detailed and separate them by paragraph - topic sentence, key points, key quotes and then closing sentence. This is basically your essay, but so much easier to practise and memorise for the exam.

-Don't beat yourself up. If you're tired, take a break - you won't retain any information if you're not focused. If you fail a past paper, go through it again with the mark scheme and annotate it - more often than not, it's small mistakes that can be easily rectified, like terminology, lack of detail, etc. Being harsh and angry at yourself will only make things worse. Be kind to yourself and tell yourself you CAN do better and that you WILL succeed because you can
    Great advice ; thanks for taking your time to write this master piece

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    Great advice ; thanks for taking your time to write this master piece

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries! I hope it helps anyone who needs it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moeshaaodonkorr)
    No worries! I hope it helps anyone who needs it
    basically, I started revising FM and I done a past paper question and I forgot and didnt understand some things then I got angry but now I realise I have a lot of time to go over it and understand, so you definitely helped me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AvWOW)
    Well if it's edexcel, going A2 physics without maths was not a problem at all, IMO. Cause it has very little maths in it.. nothing that a bit of reading up couldn't solve. Dunno about other boards though.
    Really? 3/4 of my papers was just maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Really? 3/4 of my papers was just maths.
    I would say it's manageable maths, and the rest was more description answers required :/
    (Me says manageable to maths really means something, cause I'm terrible at maths and didn't choose it in the first place cause I disliked it so much :P So i think it's quite all right)

ReputationRep:
    You'll feel like giving up come November.. Just stick with it. It starts to get better again after Christmas. That winter half term is just a mad cram work load wise before mocks.

Be organised, time manage and just do your homework. It sounds obvious but if you just get on with it, night it's set bla bla bla, it really helps.

DO NOT do more than 4 AS'.

Good luck😊

ReputationRep:
    I DO APOLIGISE, that this reply is not that concise

My advice would be, when you have decided on your 4 A Levels (or 3), to start preparing for them as soon as you have recieved your GCSEs and you are sure that you are going to do A Levels.

The best ways to prepare are:
    1 - Checking to see what the preparation tasks have been set for your subject. These give you an insight into whether the subject is the right one for you.
    2 - Start reading and working through workbooks for your subjects.
    3 - Do further reading, by reading books related to your subject. E.g. for Maths: 'Fermatt's Last Theorem', Physics: 'Why does E=mc^2'

Useful threads for point 3 are: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...uantum_Physics, etc.

Why should you start work before the year starts?
    It gets you in the hardworking frame of mind, so you can hit the ground running when the year starts. For example, When your teacher is going through a concept, you will already know some of the answers (or have a good idea). This is especially helpful when the HW starts piling up.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you choose the right subjects for you, bot just because your friends are doing those subjects - there is no point in choosing a subject which you hate and don't understand because you are then stuck with it and this could affect your future as you wouldn't be getting the grades you need for university.

ReputationRep:
    - Start revising now is you're doing a subject like History. I revised over the topics in class during the week during my free periods and during Christmas I did fairly little revision because I had memorised most of it. After mocks it was just giving in essay questions for my teachers to mark and learning the new topics.
    - Actually listen to the teachers when they tell you to revise a little everyday
    - Don't leave anything to last minute
    - Do practice papers
    - Actually work during your frees
    - If you have any question bugging you ask your teacher
    - Go to the revision classes they hold because they could save you. I attended a History revision class a day before my exam and one of the questions we went through came up.

ReputationRep:
    Use your free periods throughout the year to work and revise, not to doss with your mates... Just setting aside a free a week for work massively helped me keep on top of everything

If you're doing Psychology and you're exam board is OCR, change subject immediately!!! It's the worst subject spec ever and so boring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeT97)
    I DO APOLIGISE, that this reply is not that concise

My advice would be, when you have decided on your 4 A Levels (or 3), to start preparing for them as soon as you have recieved your GCSEs and you are sure that you are going to do A Levels.

The best ways to prepare are:
    1 - Checking to see what the preparation tasks have been set for your subject. These give you an insight into whether the subject is the right one for you.
    2 - Start reading and working through workbooks for your subjects.
    3 - Do further reading, by reading books related to your subject. E.g. for Maths: 'Fermatt's Last Theorem', Physics: 'Why does E=mc^2'

Useful threads for point 3 are: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...uantum_Physics, etc.

Why should you start work before the year starts?
    It gets you in the hardworking frame of mind, so you can hit the ground running when the year starts. For example, When your teacher is going through a concept, you will already know some of the answers (or have a good idea). This is especially helpful when the HW starts piling up.
    Don't you think Fermat's last theorem is a bit basic for A-level purposes?

ReputationRep:
    Do what you can on the day instead of leaving it for the next day because you think you have time. You'll get into that habit and then be behind in everything. Then you'll be crying, WHYYYYYYY?!?!?!?! .... Just me??

ReputationRep:
    CONSOLIDATE YOUR WORK
    if you don't revise as you go along and make sure you understand each part of the course, by the time exams roll around you'll have to make notes and revise the whole course at once. Properly revising for topic tests is key 🔑

ReputationRep:
    Start revising for your exams from the first day of college/sixthform 😩😂

ReputationRep:
    You are not alone . . . . you have your brain.

ReputationRep:
    If anybody has studied medicine/dentistry how did you find fitting in the voluntary work in with your studies? Did you do it at weekends/in the week/in holidays? Just wondering how to fit volunteering in (already done some work experience)? Also, did you find that doing 3 sciences and maths is easier as they overlap? Just wondering how to sort timings out. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Don't stop working on something... Whether it's revision, coursework or an exam... Until you are proud of it.
    If you wouldn't show it to your parents and be proud, don't submit yet👍

ReputationRep:
    1) Work hard from the beginning. I found y13 waaay easier than y12 because i worked from the day we began y13.

2) If you start year 12 & pick a subject and you find you dont like it within a week or 2.. change it asap. Trust me, i stuck to a subject that i didnt like as much anymore (French GCSE didn't prepare me for AS) because i didn't want to let down my teachers.. i got a C in it but definitely could have got an A in something like Politics which i wanted to do.

3) Leading on from point 2, don't listen to your teachers. I didnt pick Politics because i told it would 'not compliment' the other subjects i wanted to do & i completely regretted it throughout the entirety of my AS.

4) Do as many extra curriculars as you can eg taster courses, work shops.. it will help ypu write your personal statement much more easily, & to a higher quality and will help you decide what uni course to do, if you want to go to uni.

5) Enjoy yourself lol as much A Levels are hard, enjoy your college/sixth form years. Make new friends, learn new things.. Sixth form for me was definitely more enjoyable than secondary school.

Good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    As well as working hard to get the A grade for all of your subjects at AS, I would suggest looking at getting work experience and applying for summer schools pertaining to a subject you wish to study at uni. I truly regret not doing this during AS

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.