The Student Room Group

I don't know what A- levels to drop/switch

I chose 4 A-levels and my GCSE's are coming up very soon, I'm not sure that the a levels I chose here are a good mix/combo.

I chose English literature (predicted 8) , sociology, fine art (predicted 8) and physics (I take combined for gcse, predicted 8-8) but I might change art to chemistry or maths to balance it out. Also because art for me is time consuming but I enjoy making final pieces.

The problem is though I don't know exactly what I wanna be in the future and I'm not confident in maths and its a good a level to take (predicted 6-7)

I did have some hopes of becoming an architect but yea, you need maths and physics and possibly art.

Thanks for the replies and help!
(edited 11 months ago)
That's certainly an unusual combination of subjects :smile:
You really, really do not need to take 4 a levels. It will not advantage your application in any way, and you've chosen some notoriously time consuming subjects like fine art and english literature. I'd highly recommend dropping one. You also don't actually need any specific a level subjects to study architecture! You should check each university's individual website for subject requirements and preferences. Maths, physics and art would all be useful/relevant subjects to take but by no means essential.
Original post by Jay.4
I chose 4 A-levels and my GCSE's are coming up very soon, I'm not sure that the a levels I chose here are a good mix/combo.

I chose English literature (predicted 8) , sociology, fine art (predicted 8) and physics (I take combined for gcse, predicted 8-8) but I might change art to chemistry or maths to balance it out. Also because art for me is time consuming but I enjoy making final pieces.

The problem is though I don't know exactly what I wanna be in the future and I'm not confident in maths and its a good a level to take (predicted 6-7)

I did have some hopes of becoming an architect but yea, you need maths and physics and possibly art.

The vast majority of architecture courses do not specify math and/or physics as a requirement. The exceptions:

Strathclyde requires maths or physics
Some Cambridge colleges require maths or physics; or essay-based subject
Bath ideally maths and/or physics plus art/design
Robert Gordon "To include maths or a science and preferably art"
Leeds requires maths (BEng course)

Others that specify requirements:

London Met - one A level from art, humanities or social sciences
Loughborough - no specific subjects but a mix of science, art and humanities subjects is preferred
Manchester - a mixture of science or maths and humanities or arts subjects is preferred, but not essential

What the majority do require is a portfolio that is submitted as part of the application process so taking a creative subject at A level will help you prepare for this. Your other subjects - choose the ones you enjoy the most and will get the best grades in. And don't do four - AAA will always look better than AABB.

Some resources that might help you:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Reply 3
Those are an interesting choice of subjects and honestly you don't necessarily need to take on 4 a levels, you say you're not that good at maths but based on your predicted grade it sounds like you do well in it. Art is really time consuming as you have mentioned and I know someone that did take the subject but they found it to be very time consuming and tiring - to the point they didn't have time for other subjects. I would advise to take English, Maths and Physics - they are all very strong subjects and will give you a lot of choice in regards to choosing courses for uni. In regards to the art thing it might be useful to consider making a portfolio of your pieces, I once visited an art course at a uni with my friend and did a quick drawing on one of the tablets, the lecturer was interested in me taking on the course but I told her I wasn't doing any art a levels, she told me as long as I had the grades and a portfolio of my work I would be accepted, you could also email potential unis about this and ask for their advice too. - I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
A single science is not a good idea as most STEM focussed degrees require two - and Physics without Maths will really limit that avenue.

You need to check requirements for Architecture at a range of different Unis, including GCSE requirements - and you probably need to go to at least one Uni open day this May/June to see if Architecture at degree level really is what you think it is

Useful careers info for Architecture - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/property-and-construction/how-to-become-an-architect

Also look at other degrees like :
Interior Design - https://www.arts.ac.uk/subjects/architecture-spatial-and-interior-design/undergraduate/ba-hons-interior-design-chelsea
Urban Studies - https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2023/urban-studies-ba
History of Art - https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/course-search/undergraduate-courses?query=art&type=UG&term=202425
Cultural History - https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2023/cultural-history/
etc etc
Original post by Jay.4

If you aren't confident in maths then I wouldn't take it at A-level. I tried it at as level and failed it miserably. It's deffo hard.
Look into unis to see what subjects they specify for the architect courses. This may help you decide what to do.
Reply 6
Original post by Jay.4

Heya!
I would recommend looking up some entry requirements and seeing what architect courses require :h: You can use uniguide for that if it helps! It also has alvl explorer you can use to check out different alvl combos!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by Jay.4

Hi @Jay.4,

It's great to hear from you. I know some people have mentioned entry requirements and someone else also mentioned Loughborough, so I thought I would post a link to our Architecture BArch degree here. You'll be able to see entry requirements, module details and information about future careers on this page.

If you're interested in other courses, you can see all of our undergraduate courses here too.

I hope this helps :smile:

- Lindsay
Original post by Jay.4

Hi there,

Good luck with your exams coming up! Sounds like you’re on a good track with your predictions. A-levels are hard to decide, if you plan to go to university, it would be good to consider which options you might need for the course. If you’re looking at architecture, then art is usually a required subject however if you were unable to take it then they would look for other evidence such as extra-curricular classes. Maths and/or physics would also be ideal for this degree.
If you’re not sure what to go into then you should make your decision based on what interests, you. You will be able to find something to suit what you’re good at and enjoy doing with careers advisors so you should pick things that you’ll be happy to do for years and perform well in.

Good luck with your decision!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Original post by University of Bath
If you’re looking at architecture, then art is usually a required subject however if you were unable to take it then they would look for other evidence such as extra-curricular classes. Maths and/or physics would also be ideal for this degree.

These are the requirements for Bath, but not the vast majority of other unis offering architecture.
@Jay.4 If you're still considering architecture, there is a new thread regarding A level entry requirements that you might find useful:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Quick Reply

Latest