The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gogregg
It is being piloted, so they're seeing how people do on it so they will be able to score it next year, but also to decide whether it is too easy/difficult I think.

So it wouldn't really matter if I use that time to take a toilet break?
Original post by ASTK98
It's hard to actually get an accurate score because the computer usually calculates your score for you and it's supposed to be relative to how other students have done and all...

But as a general rule of thumb; (the number of answers you got correct/the number of questions x 600) + 300.

Hello,
I need help how to calculate the score. As you said before but I want to make sure is it like this. The total number of correct answers /( divide) by all total number include ( VR till SJ) and then times by 600 )+ 300

Thank you.
Original post by champ_mc99
So it wouldn't really matter if I use that time to take a toilet break?

Nope :u:

And even if you do take a toilet break, I found that you have plenty of time to answer all the questions anyway :wink:

Original post by michaela__
I haven't looked into Kings for myself properly, however I know that they don't value the UKCAT as much as other uni's :smile: so just find out about whether they require a certain band as I'm not sure on that part sorry. SGUL don't use SJT either but they need 500+ each section of the UKCAT so as long as you meet that and their min GCSE points then you should be fine :smile: Newcastle don't use SJT but they need a very high ukcat and obviously we have no idea of their cut off score yet.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure if you're talking about Dentistry, and I apologise in advance if you are, but you're wrong about Kings for A100. Although they look at the entire application, they're renowned for being UKCAT heavy.
It is entirely possible that 690 will be enough. It has been for most years, but if the average increases by much this year, it may not be. It's always worth a shot, though, if you have your heart set on Kings :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
Nope :u:

And even if you do take a toilet break, I found that you have plenty of time to answer all the questions anyway :wink:

I'm not sure if you're talking about Dentistry, and I apologise in advance if you are, but you're wrong about Kings. Although they look at the entire application, they're renowned for being UKCAT heavy.
It is entirely possible that 690 will be enough. It has been for most years, but if the average increases by much this year, it may not be. It's always worth a shot, though, if you have your heart set on Kings :h:

I checked their website and they said it was only a tiny part and they don't set a cut off and gave a range from like 630 to something higher that they've let in before and that having a high ukcat doesn't mean you'll get an interview. Obviously that's only what I read and I haven't checked the Kings thread on here haha, thanks for helping out though I don't wanna be giving wrong advice about kings ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone been on ukcat threads of previous years? Just wondering if the amount of higher scores posted this year is normal, or whether there seems to be more high scores posted than normal? I know TSR isn't representative but comparing to previous years can be helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by isabella1999
anyone else getting really bored of the UKCAT now? First started looking at it mid july and am so done at this point just want to get it over with haha

I did the ukcat first time 3 years ago and started looking at revision a year ago for my test on the 10th of September. wouldn't say getting bored just want a good score 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xJessScott
I did the ukcat first time 3 years ago and started looking at revision a year ago for my test on the 10th of September. wouldn't say getting bored just want a good score 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, wouldn't be surprised if you got 900 in each section then 😱 good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you feel like you're improving from the last time you sat it? If so, what have you done differently this time around?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's amazing sure you will do so well!!!
Does anyone know if the backspace key works in the exam?
It works on medify but not on the UKCAT mocks :frown:
Original post by sean0219
Anyone been on ukcat threads of previous years? Just wondering if the amount of higher scores posted this year is normal, or whether there seems to be more high scores posted than normal? I know TSR isn't representative but comparing to previous years can be helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's normal. Generally the scores start very high and then even out as we go into mid-September time.
Original post by studentsixth
It's normal. Generally the scores start very high and then even out as we go into mid-September time.

why?
Original post by saran23
Hey there,

I have not taken the test but I do face the exact same problem as you. Firstly, there won't be many T/F/CT questions in the exam. We will be lucky if we get more than 3/4 stems in the real thing.

Majority of the VR questions that we will face are comprehension questions. But only a fraction of the comprehension questions don't have a keyword in the main question such as 'which of the following statements are true?'. I have counted these types of questions in the official mocks and these style of questions only represent approx. 8 of the 44 questions. So I am planning to triage these questions to be more efficient because it is just wasting time looking at each statement for a particular keyword(they are also overrepresented in the Medify mocks:?)

Does anyone think this is a sensible idea? to triage these?

Good Luck to us all

I found a good portion to be 'which one is most likely to be true' type, much more than some of the practice tests I had done. Really as you said, it is a guessing game with these statements but you can rule extreme languaged and unlikely to be correct statements out quickly after a lot of practice! The amount of T/F/CT questions can vary from person to person. You may get lucky and receive them as a majority but most people are getting about a 70:30 split.
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone who's done the UKCAT this year; how did you find the difficulty of VR and AR in the mock on the UKCAT website compared to in the real exam? Easier, harder or not much difference? Ik for a fact that QR is significantly easier but was just wondering about VR/AR
Original post by ASTK98
why?

Multiple reasons. It's just a common trend can be seen over the years. Even the UKCAT leaflet state this. It's usually because people taking the UKCAT early will be re-applying (ie already have taken the exam last cycle and are doing it again this year. People tend to score better the second time around). Leaving it until the end of the summer may cause anxiety to take over and in general more people take the exam towards the end of the summer, so a more representative sample starts to form then.
Original post by ASTK98
Anyone who's done the UKCAT this year; how did you find the difficulty of VR and AR in the mock on the UKCAT website compared to in the real exam? Easier, harder or not much difference? Ik for a fact that QR is significantly easier but was just wondering about VR/AR

I found VR the same difficulty. The passages were longer but I couldn't tell much more difference. Ten times easier than those 1000Q questions but as it is the first section, nerves can be an issue.

QR severely depends on luck. I got unlucky and received quite a few harsh, multi-step questions that I simply had to guess because I didn't have the time (One question was OVERLOADED with data to say the least). However most people have found that the QR is good so it does depend on the day. Other people I've talked to have also said they've received a nasty set in their questions so I'm guessing that there must be a few mixed in with some of the nice questions.

AR is much easier. Type 1 was such a breeze but type 2 was a bit of a killer to be honest. Again something that people have either done very well in or struggled a lot so I'm guessing it's another round of luck that's needed here.
(edited 7 years ago)
I found VR the same difficulty. The passages were longer but I couldn't tell much more difference. Ten times easier than those 1000Q questions but as it is the first section, nerves can be an issue.

QR severely depends on luck. I got unlucky and received quite a few harsh, multi-step questions that I simply had to guess because I didn't have the time (One question was OVERLOADED with data to say the least). However most people have found that the QR is good so it does depend on the day. Other people I've talked to have also said they've received a nasty set in their questions so I'm guessing that there must be a few mixed in with some of the nice questions.

AR is much easier. Type 1 was such a breeze but type 2 was a bit of a killer to be honest. Again something that people have either done very well in or struggled a lot so I'm guessing it's another round of luck that's needed here.

I see. Are the 1000Q VR questions seriously that much harder than the actual exam? I had a hunch that they're probably slightly harder but I didn't know it was that bad. I've been scoring around 4/8 on average in those questions so I don't know if that's good or bad.
Original post by ASTK98
I see. Are the 1000Q VR questions seriously that much harder than the actual exam? I had a hunch that they're probably slightly harder but I didn't know it was that bad. I've been scoring around 4/8 on average in those questions so I don't know if that's good or bad.

Compared with the actual VR? Yes. On their own their quite nice. If you're getting 4/8 on them, you're probably aiming for 670-700 on the actual exam.
Compared with the actual VR? Yes. On their own their quite nice. If you're getting 4/8 on them, you're probably aiming for 670-700 on the actual exam.

Cheers! What did you score in VR btw? Oh and any tips?
Reply 3259
Hello,

I am currently stressing out so much about the UKCAT. Initially I booked my UKCAT for August 24th, two weeks before this date as I had left it very late to book due to being stupid. However I then changed my test to September 2nd, then September 8th, and I have now once again put the test back to the 15th of September.

I know it is probably bad to keep pushing the date back but if I genuinely stick to this date, will my actions have caused much harm? I just really want a good score but it is hard to find a lot of time as I lead a very, very, very busy lifestyle (usually 8am to 9pm away from home and then something quick to eat and then an hour or two of UKCAT stuff).

I would also like to ask if anyone here who has a decent/good score on the UKCAT found that when practising, things seemed to be going awfully, and then on the day it was better? Or if I truly am just awful at this test and my practice performances at the moment will reflect on the day?

I have been through the entire UKCAT 1000 Questions (Olivier Picard) Book and have carried out one mock exam on the UKCAT website and I find that the UKCAT 1000 Questions book is very difficult, I have read that it is a great deal harder than the test on the day before, however. Can someone please confirm this for me?

I find that in some sections I struggle to get much more than 60% of the answers correct and I have no clue what kind of score this would give on the day. I am extremely shameful at Abstract Reasoning, and though I am very good at maths in examinations, I seem to be awful at Quantitive Reasoning also. If anyone could direct me to a resource with the BEST tips for the sections then this would be useful, and I think I would be better if I improved my mental maths.

Sorry for the long post but there are just so many questions regarding this. Also, if a lot of you think me moving my test is a bad thing, it is not too late for me to move it back to the 8th September.

Thanks,
BFCBP.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending