Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    UKCAT
    For Undergrad Medicine, Dentistry & Veterinary Applicants.

P.S. No Irish Med school requires the UKCAT, despite the title up there. I can't change it now

ReputationRep:
    Apparently there's going to be a new section in the UKCAT as part of the DA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rampage)
    Apparently there's going to be a new section in the UKCAT as part of the DA
    Yes you're right I believe although I don't think the new section they're introducing will contribute to our final score, at least I hope not.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody doing the UKCAT in 2016 or 2017? What, in your opinion, is the most difficult section? Is it just me, or is Verbal Reasoning really frustrating? :/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by raniafern)
    Yup, something like Situational Judgement... Pearson Vue is trying to introduce this section and gauge our reaction, scores and to see how it'll contribute to selection of candidates by unis... So, I don't think it should matter.
    Situational judgement has been around for a few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Situational judgement has been around for a few years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know I said 'like' SJT

ReputationRep:
    I know I said 'like' SJT
    Confidence ratings on DA. I did my UKCAT this year and we had to do it as a test, but it wasn't marked. We had to rate the confidence in our answers from 1-5. Because it didn't count, most of the people I know just did all 3s

ReputationRep:
    I suspect I will be taking the UKCAT again in 2017. And the GAMSAT. And probably 2018 too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    I suspect I will be taking the UKCAT again in 2017. And the GAMSAT. And probably 2018 too.
    If I may ask, what is your current level of education?

ReputationRep:
    If I may ask, what is your current level of education?
    I'm a grad. BSc with first class honours in medical photography and a PGCert in science communication. I just have yet to get a high enough ukcat to get an interview but gone up a decile each time. 7th decile in my final undergrad year, 8th decile last year and 9th this year.

ReputationRep:
    Essential UKCAT Information - 2017 Medicine Applicants (Adapted from information here)

UKCAT Sections:
    1) Verbal Reasoning
    2) Quantitative Reasoning
    3) Abstract Reasoning
    4) Decision Making (New in 2016; does not contribute to your overall score. This section has replaced decision analysis)
    5) Situational Judgement (Introduced in 2014 and does affect overall score)

Test Dates: 1st July 2016 - 5th October 2016
    Registration Deadline: 21st September 2016
    Test Location: Pearson Vue test centre
    Test Fee: £65 (£80 - if taking test after 1st September 2016)

Average UKCAT Scores (2015)
    Verbal Reasoning: 577
    Quantitative Reasoning: 685
    Abstract Reasoning: 640
    Decision Analysis: 629

Free UKCAT Resources
    Official Practice Questions
    Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
    Verbal Reasoning Practice
    Verbal Reasoning Practice

Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
    Quantitative Reasoning Practice
    Quantitative Reasoning Practice
    GCSE Maths Practice

Abstract Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
    Abstract Reasoning Practice
    Abstract Reasoning Practice

Situational Judgement Practice (More Advanced)

ReputationRep:
    Anybody doing the UKCAT in 2016 or 2017? What, in your opinion, is the most difficult section? Is it just me, or is Verbal Reasoning really frustrating? :/
    I will be taking the test hopefully the latest, by the end of this summer. I still haven't started studying for it but I hear it is pretty challenging. I'm also thinking of sitting the BMAT as well. How is it going for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DragonEmily)
    I will be taking the test hopefully the latest, by the end of this summer. I still haven't started studying for it but I hear it is pretty challenging. I'm also thinking of sitting the BMAT as well. How is it going for you?
    Just some advice. Don't worry about it until after as exams. ie may or June. If you start now you will run out of resources. It doesn't require a lot of studying but mainly practice towards the time. Don't worry about BMAT until you've done the ukcat. You still have more than enough time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Since DM will not be scored, will the overall score be out of 2700 + SJT?

ReputationRep:
    Did the UKCAT this year and found Verbal Reasoning the most challenging out of the sections!

ReputationRep:
    I have always found abstract reasoning drags my score down
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    I have always found abstract reasoning drags my score down
    Ditto, my ar was 160 lower than my third highest score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most difficult section practicing was QR for me but on the actual day, VR went from being my best to my worst.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where i could get the new UKCAT book with practice questions? It says that the release date is in May but I heard some people got the books already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dakterite)
    Does anyone know where i could get the new UKCAT book with practice questions? It says that the release date is in May but I heard some people got the books already
    No point starting prep or buying it now. Just wait and buy it on amazon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.