The Student Room Group

Taken a gap year, abroad for 8 months, am I still eligible for a loan?

The title says it all. I'm a UK resident who has been permanently residing in the UK since 2014. After finishing college this year, I decided to take a gap year and apply for university for the 2017 entry. I have been abroad for 8 months to which my father has since then notified the council that I'm no longer a resident at our house (for cheaper tax, I pressume.)
I have been very careful to keep this "been living in the UK for 3 years" criteria, however, I'm getting a bit worried after the information my father has provided. I have always had the intention to return back and apply for a student loan but I don't think I'd be eligble now?

Would it not affect it or should I might as well cry since my uni dreams have been shattered.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think the importnat thing would be to show that
1. You were a resident in the UK
2. Your trip abroad was not permanent.
3. You kept contact with the UK and always intended to return.
4. SFE will require evidence of this and take it on a case by case basis.

What nationality are you? Depending on this and your situation then you may only be potentially eligible for tuition fees.

You will need to think how you will show sfe and what evidence you have. It doesnt have to be fatal.
Thanks for replying. I've got dual nationality, both a British and Filipino citizen. What type of evidence does SFE usually ask for?

Original post by 999tigger

What nationality are you? Depending on this and your situation then you may only be potentially eligible for tuition fees.

You will need to think how you will show sfe and what evidence you have. It doesnt have to be fatal.
Original post by mylifekindasuxxx
Thanks for replying. I've got dual nationality, both a British and Filipino citizen. What type of evidence does SFE usually ask for?

Anything to support your claim.
Where you were living.
Any official documentation to you at that address.
School references.
Why you left the country.
Proof that it was only temporary

They build a picture up to ensure you were resident for the full 3 years and any absence can only be temporary. It doesnt help your dad showed you had ceased to be resident at that address.

Why didnt you check before you left?
Reply 4
Were you still registered with a UK doctor or dentist? Did you maintain a UK bank account or savings account? Did you pay any tax/National Insurance whilst you away? Did you work whilst abroad and if so, can you provide a contract which was temporary or for a very limited time?Unfortunately the Council Tax is usually the clincher - taking you off the list of household members could potentially be taken to indicate that your father didn't expect you back.

Your dual nationality might also complicate things. If you can produce a temporary visa like a tourist visa for your time abroad, then that would add weight to your claim that your time away was temporary. However if your dual nationality means that you didn't need a visa, that won't help.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've got all that apart from paying tax, because my dad did remove me as resident of the house.
Thanks for the reply, means a lot :smile:

Original post by Klix88
Were you still registered with a UK doctor or dentist? Did you maintain a UK bank account or savings account? Did you pay any tax/National Insurance whilst you away? Did you work whilst abroad and if so, can you provide a contract which was temporary or for a very limited time?Unfortunately the Council Tax is usually the clincher - taking you off the list of household members could potentially be taken to indicate that your father didn't expect you back.

Your dual nationality might also complicate things. If you can produce a temporary visa like a tourist visa for your time abroad, then that would add weight to your claim that your time away was temporary. However if your dual nationality means that you didn't need a visa, that won't help.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger

How can I show I've kept contact with the uk when I don't pay taxes or bills

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending