The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
nicky_p
This. Competition and getting a first are what university is about.

No, it's not.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 21
Plemab
No, it's not.

Up to debate.
Reply 22
pina.Love
:rofl:

In all seriousness I have never met an interesting person from LSE

You havent met me.... hahahahaha
LSEactuary
You havent met me.... hahahahaha

you better be damn interesting lool
Reply 24
danny111
Up to debate.

That a lot of people only think of their education as an elevator to a Goldman Sachs corner office, does not mean that's what 'university is all about'. Creating vacuous career sharks is not the goal of our lecturers, nor is it the goal of the government that is sustaining our universities, and it was certainly not what the founders of the LSE intended.

If all you're taking away from a university education is a medal and the knowledge how to enrich yourself/trump others in competitions, then you're a deplorable human being indeed.
Reply 25
Plemab
That a lot of people only think of their education as an elevator to a Goldman Sachs corner office, does not mean that's what 'university is all about'. Creating vacuous career sharks is not the goal of our lecturers, nor is it the goal of the government that is sustaining our universities, and it was certainly not what the founders of the LSE intended.

If all you're taking away from a university education is a medal and the knowledge how to enrich yourself/trump others in competitions, then you're a deplorable human being indeed.

love the 'Goldman Sachs office' comment.... i wish i knew how to give +ve rep! :smile:
Reply 26
Plemab

Thats not what the other post was about. Nor what I said.
Reply 27
This thread is making me depressed about the possibility of coming to LSE now......

What about the whole university experience? Oxbridge and other top universities seem to encompass it all.....
Reply 28
danny111
Thats not what the other post was about. Nor what I said.

I'm not saying that is what you said, but the other post was implying that university is 'all about' competition and getting firsts. It is not.
Reply 29
Alex000007
This thread is making me depressed about the possibility of coming to LSE now......

What about the whole university experience? Oxbridge and other top universities seem to encompass it all.....

There'll be lots of interesting people and lots of opportunities to enrich yourself (however trite 'enrich' may sound these days). It's just that the people who are obsessed with prestige and career/the people who like to complain tend to be overrepresented on these forums.
Reply 30
Plemab
I'm not saying that is what you said, but the other post was implying that university is 'all about' competition and getting firsts. It is not.

Well it is part of it.

What is it 'all about' then in your opinion.
Reply 31
Alex000007

Would you stop ? Quit worrying, come to LSE, have some fun and get your 2:1.
Reply 32
danny111
Well it is part of it.

What is it 'all about' then in your opinion.

For ****'s sake, are you serious?

Providing people with the skills and knowledge to perform their jobs is obviously part of the mission of a university, but an equally important weight should be granted to instilling in them at least a modicum of inquisitiveness about anything they encounter and equipping them with the background knowledge and analytical skills to inquire well.

And, of course, to offer them a broader perspective of (and deeper insight into) what's happening around them than a pure job training programme could.

In short: educating people to become more than intellectually mute instruments for corporate/public/academic use; rid them of some of the (often anti-social) prejudices that come with their past experiences and their life choices; and make them comprehend the complexity of the world they live in as well as the viewpoints and plights of others.

Lofty ideals? I should hope so.
Reply 33
uni is what you can make it to be. the people depend on what you talk to them about and how much time you spend with them and who you meet really... not everyone here a GS whore with no social skills and obsessed about getting a 1:1
Reply 34
LSEactuary
uni is what you can make it to be. the people depend on what you talk to them about and how much time you spend with them and who you meet really... not everyone here a GS whore with no social skills and obsessed about getting a 1:1

well that would also be because most GS whores arent too obsessed about a first. 2:1 enough after all
Reply 35
danny111
well that would also be because most GS whores arent too obsessed about a first. 2:1 enough after all

Fair point. I would have thought most people at GS would be the 1:1 achievers with all the necessary skills and abilities too.... Hence 'the best'

Latest

Trending

Trending