The Student Room Group

LSE vs UCL vs Durham Law

As an international student from the US, I've found myself in a fortunate position to receive three offers for LLB. I've received an unconditional offer from Durham University and conditional offers from LSE and UCL. Each option presents unique opportunities and dilemmas, especially considering my career ambitions, which range from practicing as a solicitor or barrister within the UK to possibly pursuing law on an international stage in Europe.

Durham has really caught my eye with its collegiate system, stunning architecture, and the overall welcoming vibe of the town. It reminds me a lot of home, making the idea of moving there seem pretty smooth. My main concern with Durham, though, is how its reputation stands on the international stage, which might hinder career aspirations.

On the other side, UCL and LSE are both in London, which would be a significant change for me. My trip to London last summer was a bit overwhelming, to say the least, and the high cost of living there is definitely something to think about.

UCL has the most respected law program, a central location, and seems to strike a nice balance between academia and having a social life. But it's the most expensive option, and I'd end up spending an additional 9,000 pounds compared to if I chose LSE (just in tuition).

LSE is the most globally prestigious, has a good law program, and has modern facilities. However, I've heard the social atmosphere might be a bit competitive and not as welcoming. The fact that 70% of the student body is international also makes me wonder about the social dynamics and forming friendships.

I'm torn between these options and would love some insight:

Does LSE's international prestige make it a better choice over UCL for someone with my career goals?

Any advice on which university might suit me best, considering all factors?

I'm really looking for some guidance here, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by emeraldelise33
As an international student from the US, I've found myself in a fortunate position to receive three offers for LLB. I've received an unconditional offer from Durham University and conditional offers from LSE and UCL. Each option presents unique opportunities and dilemmas, especially considering my career ambitions, which range from practicing as a solicitor or barrister within the UK to possibly pursuing law on an international stage in Europe.

Durham has really caught my eye with its collegiate system, stunning architecture, and the overall welcoming vibe of the town. It reminds me a lot of home, making the idea of moving there seem pretty smooth. My main concern with Durham, though, is how its reputation stands on the international stage, which might hinder career aspirations.

On the other side, UCL and LSE are both in London, which would be a significant change for me. My trip to London last summer was a bit overwhelming, to say the least, and the high cost of living there is definitely something to think about.

UCL has the most respected law program, a central location, and seems to strike a nice balance between academia and having a social life. But it's the most expensive option, and I'd end up spending an additional 9,000 pounds compared to if I chose LSE (just in tuition).

LSE is the most globally prestigious, has a good law program, and has modern facilities. However, I've heard the social atmosphere might be a bit competitive and not as welcoming. The fact that 70% of the student body is international also makes me wonder about the social dynamics and forming friendships.

I'm torn between these options and would love some insight:

Does LSE's international prestige make it a better choice over UCL for someone with my career goals?

Any advice on which university might suit me best, considering all factors?

I'm really looking for some guidance here, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
UCL I’d say, for the balance of student life and the quality of the course and teaching - as well as facilities and location. However, LSE is, of course, ridiculously reputable internationally. UCL has very similar international prestige, although LSE does edge it of course. Tuition is of course an issue for you, and I’m not too sure about if international students are eligible for loans or bursaries, so that’s something to look out for. Not much separates the two, but if I had the choice, it’d be UCL.

Just one thing, I’d strongly advise against practising law in the U.K. - especially as a barrister. The market is incredibly saturated for many aspects of law, and a lot of public barristers tend to not earn very much for a long time (they went on strike not long ago). A job as a solicitor is better in terms of pay, however that can still be risky and can be difficult to find a job at a top firm.

Whilst pay isn’t the be all and end all, you’re working a vital job that, with its workload and stresses, must not be underpaid.

Your ambitions would be better suited remaining in the United States or going to Europe.
Reply 2
I have an offer for Law at the LSE and I'm currently debating the same as you with some of my other options, although I am a home student. Reading a lot about social life at the LSE, I have found that it is what you make of it- I think naturally social life will be more hectic in London due to there being so many people and you could also think about it in another way: more international students means more connections to other places in the world and you meet so many new, different people which can be exciting.

At first I was a bit skeptical and still somewhat am, but honestly, I'm warming up to the idea of firming Law at the LSE.
Reply 3
I have an offer for Law at the LSE and I'm currently debating the same as you with some of my other options, although I am a home student. Reading a lot about social life at the LSE, I have found that it is what you make of it- I think naturally social life will be more hectic in London due to there being so many people and you could also think about it in another way: more international students means more connections to other places in the world and you meet so many new, different people, which can be exciting.

At first I was a bit skeptical and still somewhat am, but honestly, I'm warming up to the idea of firming Law at the LSE.
Reply 4
social life between UCL and LSE really won't be so different. you're in London and the world is your oyster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending