The Student Room Group

Does morality matter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Consider these three images
a man in no chains, mad (not angry) and distraught and distorted.
a man in some chains, simplistic and balanced.
a man tangled in chains, choking and incapable of movement.

no (zero) morals is the 1st image. society would not be w/o morals.
Reply 21
Original post by darsen

I agree with the OP. Most scientific studies are not conducted out of innocent inquiry, but to push social and ideological agendas. Scientists have no more right to dictate society than professional footballers, bricklayers or yoga teachers.

This statement suggests ALL studies through out history have either been conducted out of inquiry or not.
is that what you meant?

I'd suggest otherwise. majority of studies have been through accidents - in a manner of speaking. their purpose however, mixed between medicine and curiosity.
Original post by ilikenamitha
Why do there need to be "morals" or limits in life?
Surely the mark of a sapient person is to do as s/he pleases, whenever this occurs?

The strangest part of this question is you contemplating on it's necessity rather than it's existence. if that means that you know it exists, then you should realize that morality is innate. and personal. it's a choice humans willfully tune themselves to. in an evolutionary perspective, morality is a product of sapience. When we can reason, and differentiate and develop our own standards of good and bad, we develop our morality as well. It is not a hard and fast rule set in stone; rather it changes from person to person.

But we have to agree that there indeed exists a veiled fabric called morality through which we see the world.

Original post by ilikenamitha

We have total control over our minds, and as sapient beings we can reason without limit. I don't believe in free will, but sapience does exist nonetheless (as a tangential point I believe that scientists who use neuroscience to push that free will doesn't exist are merely pushing a sinister ideological agenda).

Sapience exists and it is actually the proof that morality exists too. you are contradicting yourself there, dearie!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending