The Student Room Group

Feeling guilty about Extra time in GCSEs

I am in year 11 and have dyslexia so get 25% extra time in my exams. Recently in mocks I have been feeling weird about it. I am a fast writer and get good grades (due to an intense amount of revision). Usually in class I don't fall behind. My main issue is just spelling and mistakes as I write and slow reading. So I feel like people think I am faking it for an advantage and always feel embarrassed when I stay in the hall when others are leaving. I really struggled with keeping up in primary school but in secondary school it just clicked and now I am fast. I have done a test and I didn't fake it or anything but I still just feel like I have cheated the system. Is it morally wrong for me to take my extra time when I know some people without dyslexia would benefit more than I would
You shouldn't. It's there to put you on equal footing or close to equal footing with non dyslexic students. It doesn't give you an advantage over them.
Moved to GCSEs and I agree with ROTL
i mean extra time is kinda a very blunt tool for evening the playing field. It's not entirely fair tbh, but that's not your fault. If the test said you qualify for it then just take the extra time
Original post by ROTL94 3
You shouldn't. It's there to put you on equal footing or close to equal footing with non dyslexic students. It doesn't give you an advantage over them.

I mean it will give OP an advantage over some less bright 'non dyslexics' tbh
Original post by Bookish_ginger
I am in year 11 and have dyslexia so get 25% extra time in my exams. Recently in mocks I have been feeling weird about it. I am a fast writer and get good grades (due to an intense amount of revision). Usually in class I don't fall behind. My main issue is just spelling and mistakes as I write and slow reading. So I feel like people think I am faking it for an advantage and always feel embarrassed when I stay in the hall when others are leaving. I really struggled with keeping up in primary school but in secondary school it just clicked and now I am fast. I have done a test and I didn't fake it or anything but I still just feel like I have cheated the system. Is it morally wrong for me to take my extra time when I know some people without dyslexia would benefit more than I would

Why aren't you in a smaller room? Isn't it disrputive to have people lave while you are still working?

You shouldn't feel guilty btw, the additional time is to make it fairer for you.
Original post by Muttley79
Why aren't you in a smaller room? Isn't it disrputive to have people lave while you are still working?

You shouldn't feel guilty btw, the additional time is to make it fairer for you.

Yeah a smaller room helps
Original post by Muttley79

In my school we just sit at the edge of the exam hall furthest from the door and only people with rest breaks are in a seperate room. It is a bit disruptive but after the first few exams I got used to it, it is just annoying in triple science because I am the only one who has extra time and I sit through combined science leaving, then combined extra time leaving and then triple leaving.

Also thank you, all of these replies are making me feel much better about having extra time.
Original post by hapaxlegomena
i mean extra time is kinda a very blunt tool for evening the playing field. It's not entirely fair tbh, but that's not your fault. If the test said you qualify for it then just take the extra time

Yeah I think it is a flawed system aswell, personally I think it would be better for everyone if all exams were just longer for everyone so the timings are not the biggest challenge because your writing speed doesn't matter in the real world, especially with technology in today's world.
In my school we just sit at the edge of the exam hall furthest from the door and only people with rest breaks are in a seperate room. It is a bit disruptive but after the first few exams I got used to it, it is just annoying in triple science because I am the only one who has extra time and I sit through combined science leaving, then combined extra time leaving and then triple leaving.

Also thank you, all of these replies are making me feel much better about having extra time.

I would ask to be in a separate room because having students make lots of noise when leaving the hall is distracting and that could put you at a disadvantage in my opinion (can stop you from being able to think properly if you're having say an upwards of 50 students trying to leave a room at once). School needs to be doing what's objectively best for you, not what they think is best for you in my opinion. If it doesn't bother you not being in a separate room then meh that's different.
Don’t feel guilty, just use it. Fook the exam boards, take advantage of it

No one care if you actually get the results you want at the end of it. I had extra time, not sure I deserved it but I qualified and did better as a consequence.

Heya!
Of course not! Don't feel guilty over it :h: These are the rules that they have set and you qualify for them so don't feel bad over it!

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

No! It's not morally wrong 💜
The amount of people in my school that we're just slow writers or had to write slow to be legible, or even type because their writing was the best was a lot. Please don't feel bad for an actual medical diagnosis where extra time allows you to manage your own time better during the exam and get high grades. At the end of the day, if you wouldn't go for advice to the people that are judging you, their opinion doesn't really matter. The real ones will know that that time is exactly what you need to do your best. Best of luck with your exams xx

No it's not morally wrong.....you have been assessed to gain that extra time, use it or loose it,is what my DS teacher was told and whilst he felt exactly the same as you have described whilst he was in yr11,he needed it in yr12. It doesn't matter what people think when you're taking GCSES,it's the grades that people need that is relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest