The Student Room Group

Is black history month an insult?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say it's problematic to limit the subject to one month.
I don't see how we're ever gonna get past the mentality of difference between races if we keep making a big song and dance about race like this. The aim is surely to end up with race being so insignificant that it isn't even worthy of being mentioned. This is doing the opposite. Same goes for gay pride marches etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
There is not a white history month in African countries, so a black history month in European countries is a blessing.
Black history is a joke. Its designed to create division and hatred towards the majority culture.

For example, The Arab/African slave dwarfs European involvement both in terms of time frame and scale, yet 'black' history month completely fails to mention it.

Black history is a carefully constructed and fictional narrative. It's not about facts, but agenda.
Also, having one month dedicated to 'African' history is completely absurd in a European country, which has over 14,000 years of 'white' history to choose from.
Black history isn't that interesting imo. It's much more interesting to discuss the political, economic, social reasons why black people were enslaved, how the powers did, the politics involved in dividing up Africa, the relationships between the Imperial countries etc. Learning about how black people were treated as slave always bored me.
Yes.

It isn't as if blacks are so important to have one month dedicated to their history, and furthermore, why should it be relegated to one month of the year? It should be treated like all other forms of history, read at all times.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I don't see how we're ever gonna get past the mentality of difference between races if we keep making a big song and dance about race like this. The aim is surely to end up with race being so insignificant that it isn't even worthy of being mentioned. This is doing the opposite. Same goes for gay pride marches etc.

+1 its all about having an identity though, class, nationality, ethnicity, sex shouldn't really matter.
Original post by The Dictator
Yes.

It isn't as if blacks are so important to have one month dedicated to their history, and furthermore, why should it be relegated to one month of the year? It should be treated like all other forms of history, read at all times.

Are you trying to be controversial or do you just live a sheltered life?
Original post by DErasmus
Are you trying to be controversial or do you just live a sheltered life?

I am black. I do not see our history as more important than other race's, and it is not as if it is so fragile as to need to be relegated to one month. It should be treated like all other history, to be judged in its own right, not because it is "black" history.
Reply 30
It's condescending rather than racist.
Blacks building the pyramids is ridiculous have you seen Africa? at least undeveloped countries. Afrocentrics even believe that Chinese people were once Black.
Original post by The Dictator
I am black. I do not see our history as more important than other race's, and it is not as if it is so fragile as to need to be relegated to one month. It should be treated like all other history, to be judged in its own right, not because it is "black" history.

no one said it was more important
Reply 33
Morgan Freeman thinks so.
Original post by Obiejess
Racist towards every other ethinicity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rolleyes: Every race has one; if you're not informed, oh well. And black is not an ethnicity :talkhand:
And yet again, a well meaning concept is torn apart...
Seeing as there are people who study slavery on the GCSE History course and not the World Wars...I think not. I don't think we even need black history month.
Original post by KissMyWhiteButt
Blacks building the pyramids is ridiculous have you seen Africa? at least undeveloped countries. Afrocentrics even believe that Chinese people were once Black.

The first pyramid was the Step Pyramid of Djoser

Djoser was this guy

Seems black or dark middle-eastern to me (full lips, nose cannot be determined)

Four pharaohs down you have Huni

Same conclusion. Didn't leave any pyramid behind (that can be seen). Last of the Old Kingdom pharaohs

Khufu, 2 pharaohs down. He built the Great Pyramid.

Second largest Giza pyramid, Khafre

Third largest, Menkaura

Don't know about you but these peeps look either dark Middle-Eastern (full lips, not very wide nose) or black to me.

What is certain is that the Egyptians didn't give as much of a **** about a race as some modern people do.

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by KissMyWhiteButt

No I havent seen the massive continent that is Africa.. have you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;AKDlE5yqa3g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDlE5yqa3g[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending