The Student Room Group

How much did you pay for premium as a first time driver?

So as a first-time driver (had my license for 3 months), I've just paid an annual installment of £2048 for my insurance on an automatic Hyundai i10, with a black box. The company I insured with is Admiral

I was wondering how much you all paid and with what company.
Paid £900 yearly with Hastings Direct that was 8 months back. At the time I had my license for only less than a month.
Original post by oooofatimaoooo
So as a first-time driver (had my license for 3 months), I've just paid an annual installment of £2048 for my insurance on an automatic Hyundai i10, with a black box. The company I insured with is Admiral

Mine was quite a while ago (so you may not get it this cheap now). But i paid £1068. With tesco. I was 18 (nearly 19) at the time. No black box.
Reply 3
I've had ludicrous insurance no matter the car since I passed sadly and even so now after 3 years. All of these are also without black box

First car was a 1.6l 2005 Mini, insurance the day I passed my test at 17 was £3454 for the year with GoGirl
Second car (only a month later as the mini blew up lol) was a 1.1l 2008 Citroen C3, after changing vehicles insurance actually stayed the same working out at around £255 per month
Third car 5 months after was a 2007 2L BMW 1 series, insurance was £3800 for the year with GoSkippy
A year later I bought a Land Rover Freelander 2 2007 2.2L and insurance was £3770 for the first year and has actually gone up another £126 this year with Hastings Direct

I had a van for my work for 2 years which was a 2012 1.3L Vauxhall Combo, that set me back £280 per month using Insure2Drive
I share a car with my parents for the summer which is a 1.6L Renault Megane convertible, that's £260 per month for me and both my parents using HastingsDirect

and finally I've recently bought a 2008 Fiat Punto for my partner which will cost me £192 a month or £2000 a year with Admiral

I'm currently 20 almost 21 and passed at 17, insurance is the killer🫡
Original post by oooofatimaoooo
I pay £900 yearly with the AA! I am looking at getting one of those black boxes which should cut the cost done a bit - I do not think the AA do them. I drive an old corsa and the insurance is more than the car is worth! Luckly my Dad paid for th first year, but as soon as it runs out I need to do some research on it, or sell the car.
I started on about £800 for a Vauxhall Corsa with Admiral (No Box), but this was 5 odd years ago and I was also a bit older when I passed my test.

You'll only ever get so much from asking other people though, there's just too many variables.
Reply 6
Passed my test at 17 in 2021 - classic 1994 Volkswagen Polo - £1500 with a blackbox

Got a second car for university at 18 - 2007 1.4 Fiat Panda 100hp - £750 no blackbox
(For the summer of 2023 when i was 19 I added the classic vw to my policy and that upped it to £950)

Finally end of last year at 19 (I'm now 20) I sold the Panda and got a 2003 1.9JTD turbo Alfa Romeo 156 sport. £1050 no blackbox

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending