The Student Room Group

Virgin Shaming, and You

I noticed a lot of virgin shaming online, in media, and in real life. Why is that? People talk about slut shaming all the time, but what about virgin shaming? Don't older male virgins have the same right to be treated with respect and dignity as those who already have sex?

People always say, don't make fun of other people because of their race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification, religion, etc, but oppressing and discriminating someone because of their sexual or lack of sexual experience is also a form of bigotry. What if a virgin reads this forum and gets offended? What if virgins form an anti-defamation league and march for their rights to not be made fun of or bullied?

All I can say is stop. Please be more sensitive and politically correct toward people who are different than you.
Original post by Anonymous
I noticed a lot of virgin shaming online, in media, and in real life. Why is that? People talk about slut shaming all the time, but what about virgin shaming? Don't older male virgins have the same right to be treated with respect and dignity as those who already have sex?

People always say, don't make fun of other people because of their race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification, religion, etc, but oppressing and discriminating someone because of their sexual or lack of sexual experience is also a form of bigotry. What if a virgin reads this forum and gets offended? What if virgins form an anti-defamation league and march for their rights to not be made fun of or bullied?

All I can say is stop. Please be more sensitive and politically correct toward people who are different than you.

It is wrong to virgin shame anybody cause being a virgin is not always someone's fault. And although virgin shaming is insensitive it's not as harmful as racial/gender/homophobic/ religious discrimination this is because unlike other forms of discrimination no one ever lost a job, had their rights taken away, or had insistuional discrimination because they are a virgin.

Society should reflect on how it virgins shames and it should be called out and comdemed, however when one equates virgin shaming to something as brutal as racism, I think you've never experienced it. I'm sorry if you've experienced virgin shaming but I want you to realise although it's wrong it's far from oppression. Thank for for reading this.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
In life people will get aggressively bullied, mildly mocked by family members, ignored, consensually teased by close friends, defamed, harassed, rejected or criminally targeted for a variety of reasons.
Address, ancestry, beliefs, body shape, diet, exam marks, hair colour, health, height, hobbies, household income, national citizenship, sexual history, sports abilities, weight.
Haters will hate, liars will lie, malicious gossipers will spread malicious gossip.

Nobody is entitled to receive automatic respect.
Nor to expect to never ever read/see/hear/experience something that they view as rude, wrong or a personal rejection.
Nobody will go through their childhood or entire adult life being treated exactly the same as everyone else.
"The right not to be made fun of" does not exist in the uk.
Nor in the usa- it never will as long as the 1st amendment remains.
It sounds like you are yet to learn the history or purpose of the ADL.

If everyone who has ever read something online that they considered offensive, vulgar or contrary to their own personal interests decided to form a protest league and march for their so-called right not to be offended nor exposed to any opinions that they disagree with- they would become media celebrities within a few weeks.
Then receive a million times more mockery and insults than ever before from the tabloids.
Never mind being bombarded with ridicule & insults from half the trolls, creeps and wannabe comedians that regularly use social media.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending