Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Christoph987)
    did anyone else find Q9 incredibly strange, the one about intersecting lines on a piece of paper.
    I thought that was pretty straight forward.

ReputationRep:
    Don't discuss specific questions or the thread will be locked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some people are saying it was easier the last year some harder, overall do people think the thresholds will be high lower or similar to last years?

ReputationRep:
    I think the Gold-Olympiad range will be wider than normal... There were about 15 easy questions and about 10 much harder ones IMO.

ReputationRep:
    even without the use of identical lines, unless you assume each line continues infinitely then the question is impossible.
    Yup, got stuck at that point so then I started doodling thinking of possibilities and did other weird things like find maximum possible intersections and find factors etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akashi)
    Yup, got stuck at that point so then I started doodling thinking of possibilities and did other weird things like find maximum possible intersections and find factors etc etc
    please stop discussing answers as the thread will be locked - the other thread for this got locked earlier today

ReputationRep:
    I realized that, even if I got all of my answers correct, I still wouldn't have enough marks to qualify for the BMO. It's all good though; I just wanted something to supplement my PS if I get a silver or above. I never had the intention to go further in the first place.

Also, nobody in my maths class could confidently answer the first question. Is it me, or was it quite straightforward? All you had to do was assign a 'variable' to a certain 'value' and then it was simple algebra (purposely being vague because of the 'no answer' rule)

ReputationRep:
    even without the use of identical lines, unless you assume each line continues infinitely then the question is impossible.
    I thought this too. They didn't seem to specify whether they were equal length or whether they continued infinitely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    It was a bit easier than last year I only answered about 14 questions, because I ran out of time. I think that I got 12 right and 2 wrong; this should mean I would get 71, which would have got me a silver last year, but I'm pretty sure that it would get me a bronze this year.

Also, I tend to find the questions from 20-25 much easier than the questions 10-19, anyone else?
    I wouldn't say the last few questions are easier but I get what you're saying. I sometimes struggle with the early ones :lol:

I also felt this years challenge was a bit easier but that could be because we're older and better at maths than we were.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs)
    Also, nobody in my maths class could confidently answer the first question. Is it me, or was it quite straightforward? All you had to do was assign a 'variable' to a certain 'value' and then it was simple algebra (purposely being vague because of the 'no answer' rule)
    Yeah Q1 was pretty standard for the SMC, harder than last year's first question though which was just 98 * 102.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think 98 will be enough to qualify for the BMO? Given this test was a little harder than last years? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack.123765)
    Did anyone do the challenge today? How did you find it?
    I did it and found that it was alright and was fairly enjoyable to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomc)
    please stop discussing answers as the thread will be locked - the other thread for this got locked earlier today
    Do you know when we can discus the answers????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmz62)
    Do you know when we can discus the answers????
    By tomorrow morning I'd presume considering the answers are out at 9:00

ReputationRep:
    the only reason I did this the maths challenge was to get out of an english timed essay, so I don't really care what I get, seeing as I've already achieved gold in junior, intermediate and senior! Tbh I had a nice hour and a half solving some mathematical logic problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnesium)
    I thought this too. They didn't seem to specify whether they were equal length or whether they continued infinitely!
    Yeah, and "on a flat piece of paper" even seems to suggest that they aren't, since paper isn't generally infinitely large... xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messier31)
    By tomorrow morning I'd presume considering the answers are out at 9:00
    Where do we get the answers from tomorrow? will they be online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pronged Lily)
    Yeah, and "on a flat piece of paper" even seems to suggest that they aren't, since paper isn't generally infinitely large... xD
    Exactly! But then I was like 'hold up, if they're all made xcm long, they can have all of the intersection points they listed!" That question baffled me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmz62)
    Where do we get the answers from tomorrow? will they be online
    Yeah I think they go up on the UKMT website.

ReputationRep:
    BMO threshold predictions anyone?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.