The Student Room Group

UKMT Maths Senior Challenge 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Christoph987
did anyone else find Q9 incredibly strange, the one about intersecting lines on a piece of paper.

I thought that was pretty straight forward.
Don't discuss specific questions or the thread will be locked.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people are saying it was easier the last year some harder, overall do people think the thresholds will be high lower or similar to last years?
I think the Gold-Olympiad range will be wider than normal... There were about 15 easy questions and about 10 much harder ones IMO.
Reply 24
even without the use of identical lines, unless you assume each line continues infinitely then the question is impossible.

Yup, got stuck at that point so then I started doodling thinking of possibilities and did other weird things like find maximum possible intersections and find factors etc etc
Reply 25
Original post by Akashi
Yup, got stuck at that point so then I started doodling thinking of possibilities and did other weird things like find maximum possible intersections and find factors etc etc

please stop discussing answers as the thread will be locked - the other thread for this got locked earlier today
I realized that, even if I got all of my answers correct, I still wouldn't have enough marks to qualify for the BMO. It's all good though; I just wanted something to supplement my PS if I get a silver or above. I never had the intention to go further in the first place.

Also, nobody in my maths class could confidently answer the first question. Is it me, or was it quite straightforward? All you had to do was assign a 'variable' to a certain 'value' and then it was simple algebra (purposely being vague because of the 'no answer' rule)
(edited 8 years ago)
even without the use of identical lines, unless you assume each line continues infinitely then the question is impossible.

I thought this too. They didn't seem to specify whether they were equal length or whether they continued infinitely!
Original post by NotNotBatman
It was a bit easier than last year I only answered about 14 questions, because I ran out of time. I think that I got 12 right and 2 wrong; this should mean I would get 71, which would have got me a silver last year, but I'm pretty sure that it would get me a bronze this year.

Also, I tend to find the questions from 20-25 much easier than the questions 10-19, anyone else?

I wouldn't say the last few questions are easier but I get what you're saying. I sometimes struggle with the early ones :lol:

I also felt this years challenge was a bit easier but that could be because we're older and better at maths than we were.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Also, nobody in my maths class could confidently answer the first question. Is it me, or was it quite straightforward? All you had to do was assign a 'variable' to a certain 'value' and then it was simple algebra (purposely being vague because of the 'no answer' rule)

Yeah Q1 was pretty standard for the SMC, harder than last year's first question though which was just 98 * 102.
Do you guys think 98 will be enough to qualify for the BMO? Given this test was a little harder than last years? Thanks
Original post by jack.123765
Did anyone do the challenge today? How did you find it?

I did it and found that it was alright and was fairly enjoyable to do
Reply 32
Original post by gomc
please stop discussing answers as the thread will be locked - the other thread for this got locked earlier today

Do you know when we can discus the answers????
Original post by Emmz62
Do you know when we can discus the answers????

By tomorrow morning I'd presume considering the answers are out at 9:00
the only reason I did this the maths challenge was to get out of an english timed essay, so I don't really care what I get, seeing as I've already achieved gold in junior, intermediate and senior! Tbh I had a nice hour and a half solving some mathematical logic problems
Original post by Magnesium
I thought this too. They didn't seem to specify whether they were equal length or whether they continued infinitely!

Yeah, and "on a flat piece of paper" even seems to suggest that they aren't, since paper isn't generally infinitely large... xD
Reply 36
Original post by Messier31
By tomorrow morning I'd presume considering the answers are out at 9:00

Where do we get the answers from tomorrow? will they be online
Original post by Pronged Lily
Yeah, and "on a flat piece of paper" even seems to suggest that they aren't, since paper isn't generally infinitely large... xD

Exactly! But then I was like 'hold up, if they're all made xcm long, they can have all of the intersection points they listed!" That question baffled me :tongue:
Original post by Emmz62
Where do we get the answers from tomorrow? will they be online

Yeah I think they go up on the UKMT website.
BMO threshold predictions anyone?

Quick Reply

Latest