Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pepe the frog is now a white nationalist symbol Watch

ReputationRep:
    Harambe>Pepe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Using a meme in a racist picture doesn't make those who use it to convey other messages anti-Semitic/racist/supremacist by association.

I've seen Pepe being used in a wide variety of memes (if you don't believe me, go on 4chan and look at the different boards in which it's been seen), ranging from making fun of ancaps to trolling the stereotypical fat, lonely dude who's 40 years old and lives in his mum's basement.

What would be more accurate to say is that Pepe can be used in White supremacist images, but that is something that applies to most of the memes out there (including, funnily enough, Kappa and Thomas the Tank Engine). It's always good to be a little more specific in these matters.
    Well, of course it has been used in various and diverse instances; like the link said, it started off as an innocent, popular internet meme. But an there is an alarming amount of racist and anti-Semitic art that has made use of the meme lately. No one is calling for it to be banned or saying that anyone who uses it is racist or anti-Semitic, just making the point that certain groups have taken a liking to Pepe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    There's plenty of anti-Semitic art on the internet. Genuine Nazis and trolls from /pol/ convert the original Pepe images to unflattering caricatures of racial stereotypes. Nothing to do with the thousands who aren't Nazis.

Would you call Hillary Clinton a Nazi for being friends with Senator Robert Byrd (an ex-KKK member)?
    Someone who denounced his/her racist views that were held in a racist time period and shows all of the signs of having changed his/her attitude should be given the benefit of the doubt. Someone who has clearly kept their racist views (or at least some of them), not so much.

I didn't say that the many people who used this meme were all Nazis. See my post above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Well, of course it has been used in various and diverse instances; like the link said, it started off as an innocent, popular internet meme. But an there is an alarming amount of racist and anti-Semitic art that has made use of the meme lately. No one is calling for it to be banned or saying that anyone who uses it is racist or anti-Semitic, just making the point that certain groups have taken a liking to Pepe.
    Absolutely - I don't think that anyone should be denying that. I object when I hear (and it's usually from uninformed Clinton supporters as of late, who've only seen it in the context of the presidential election) that Pepe is exclusively used in such a way.

ReputationRep:
    No ones asking to ban it, just making the point that it has become popular among neo-Nazis.
    You have prooveb enough to be insane. You would go far enough to equate Pepe with a swastika.

Pepe is generally popular un alll 4chan boards so no need for paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slaven)
    You have prooveb enough to be insane. You would go far enough to equate Pepe with a swastika.
    And you know this....how?

Besides, Nazis think that colonialism is a good thing too. The closeness of their beliefs to yours is getting ever more defined.

See? I can generalise too :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Name:  CsQxMCcXYAAbMiI.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  258.8 KB
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No ones asking to ban it, just making the point that it has become popular among neo-Nazis.
    Alcohol is also probably quite popular, so is breathing and drinking water.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.