The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
milliondollarcorpse
I just don't understand.

On your profile:
Interests:
Maths; Algebras and calculus. Category theory, although I only know the very basics which is a shame. Although, I know naive set theory.

...And now after all your posts in the maths forum you say it's boring?

beat me too it :frown:
Reply 21
milliondollarcorpse
I just don't understand.

On your profile:
Interests:
Maths; Algebras and calculus. Category theory, although I only know the very basics which is a shame. Although, I know naive set theory.

...And now after all your posts in the maths forum you say it's boring?

Can people stop picking out where I contradict myself, as I'm not logitician. So what do you expect?
Reply 22
Are you for real?

I lol'd :biggrin:
It's not the most boring subject ever. That title perhaps belongs to biology. But I get what you mean; too much maths can deplete interest and make one perplexed as to how one was so favourable towards it previously. Right now I don't have any enthusiasm for maths, I wish to do anything other than maths, but hopefully the passion love interest fascination spark will return in time for my degree course.
Reply 24
its only really boring when you are not challenged, hard questions are not boring
Simplicity
Can people stop picking out where I contradict myself, as I'm not logitician. So what do you expect?

I expect people to be secure about their interests. Seriously, what is it? Have you pretended to yourself all this time that you like maths? :confused:
???
Reply 27
Glutamic Acid
It's not the most boring subject ever. That title perhaps belongs to biology. But I get what you mean; too much maths can deplete interest and make one perplexed as to how one was so favourable towards it previously.

Yeah, I really should be self studying stuff but I'm just sitting play a stupid mario game. I really should learn the modules before actually doing as then it would easier when I do them. But, lol. Summer holiday and stuff.

milliondollarcorpse
I expect people to be secure about their interests. Seriously, what is it? Have you pretended to yourself all this time that you like maths?

You have to consider philosophical reasons aswell? apart from interest. But, yeah only complex numbers have really interested me during A levels.
Reply 28
:headfire: :zomg:
Marcus du Sautoy (the guy that pronounces "Mathematics" with 4 syllables) wrote an interesting article on this. You don't really get to see the cool side of Maths when you're just laying the groundwork for future study at school. Learning purely technical processes, memorising formulae and definitions etc. don't really touch on the more interesting things. Of course, you do that with other subjects as well at school; only those subjects at least give you a taster of what's to come: in English you do learn some literature, for example. It's a shame, because it puts people off a good subject.
Simplicity
Yeah, I really should be self studying stuff but I'm just sitting play a stupid mario game. I really should learn the modules before actually doing as then it would easier when I do them. But, lol. Summer holiday and stuff.

Nothing wrong with a Mario game. Nothing at all. I've considered starting on some university content but motivation just isn't there; I'll fulfill my time by reading literature, trying to learn a language and playing the piano whist drinking myself to comfortable alcoholism.
Simplicity
Yeah, its pretty boring.

In the whole of alevel the only thing I found was interesting was complex numbers but even that sucked generally. I was wondering does Maths become fun at uni?

I'm generally working under the assumption that maths becomes fun at later years.

I should have really done something like Mathematical Physics but I'm not that good at Physics.

P.S. I don't know it just seems pointless sometimes.

no way. i love maths
Reply 32
Glutamic Acid
Nothing wrong with a Mario game. Nothing at all. I've considered starting on some university content but motivation just isn't there; I'll fulfill my time by reading literature, trying to learn a language and playing the piano whist drinking myself to comfortable alcoholism.

I don't know but it worries me. See if you look at all the greats they would be studying instead of wasting time playing computer games. Certainly, all the people I want to be like work very hard and I'm just sitting playing mario. Also, if I study uni content now I will have an advantage and be able to get better grade if doing stuff over summer holidays.

P.S. Atleast you can play the piano, I always wanted to be able to play the piano but I'm not middle class.
Reply 33
I found the core maths units to be not exactly as interesting as my other subjects although the applied units like Mechanics were pretty cool. Depends on your interests really since my favourite subject out of the lot was chemistry.
Reply 34
The fun thing about maths at uni is that you get to work out the optimal stock market portfolio, option prices, optimal option allocation, etc. Also, maths is used in the City and I like it when they get it wrong and lose loads of money lol.

Well, I have a saying:

Only nerds and psychos do maths. I'm the latter.
Reply 35
I like Simplicity threads
xinjaing
The fun thing about maths at uni is that you get to work out the optimal stock market portfolio, option prices, optimal option allocation, etc. Also, maths is used in the City and I like it when they get it wrong and lose loads of money lol.

Well, I have a saying:

Only nerds and psychos do maths. I'm the latter.

how is that fun?
Reply 37
Maths rules!!! Now GTFO!!! lol
Simplicity
I don't know but it worries me. See if you look at all the greats they would be studying instead of wasting time playing computer games. Certainly, all the people I want to be like work very hard and I'm just sitting playing mario. Also, if I study uni content now I will have an advantage and be able to get better grade if doing stuff over summer holidays.

P.S. Atleast you can play the piano, I always wanted to be able to play the piano but I'm not middle class.

That's true; being a great requires exceptional determination. I've accepted I'm not going to be a great, and I'm perfectly pseudohappy with being a reasonably good mathematician. Plus, even if I were to forge ahead with material I'd not have the focus to continue learning new material at university, so I'd become somewhat bored whilst lesser people caught up. And that's assuming I've managed to teach it right. My notable academic regret is narrowing my subject choices to a complete science bias, but I've not that much of a scientist. I'm even leaving my apolitical apathy behind and becoming interested in politics, and branching out is exciting. I'd be more satisfied with being pretty well versed (to the "average person", say) in most fields rather than being exceptional in mathematics.

P.S. I'm not very good; having not played for years. I'm not middle class either; I eat rocks for breakfast and live in a shoe.
Reply 39
Glutamic Acid

P.S. I'm not very good; having not played for years. I'm not middle class either; I eat rocks for breakfast and live in a shoe.

I would kill for rocks and a shoe.

Latest