The Student Room Group

Help please! What should I pick for a levels?

I’m picking my a levels this year and I honestly have no clue what I want to do or what I want to be when I’m older. Part of me would really like to go into medicine but I’ve heard many people say how awful chemistry a level is - if I’m not the biggest fan of chemistry gcse is choosing it for a level really stupid?
I’m predicted 8s in everything so I can’t chose my ‘best subjects’
My other idea was to go into economics so maybe doing maths? And I really like geography and Rs. Also Media studies sounds really interesting it’s one of those subjects where I know I definitely wouldn’t be bored.
So should I go with what I’ll find most fun, what gives me the most options afterwards or what I can use to go into medicine with the chance I’ll hate chemistry and fail the a level.
Sorry about such a long thingy, any options would be much appreciated:smile:
Original post by Dienwkwbeje
I’m picking my a levels this year and I honestly have no clue what I want to do or what I want to be when I’m older. Part of me would really like to go into medicine but I’ve heard many people say how awful chemistry a level is - if I’m not the biggest fan of chemistry gcse is choosing it for a level really stupid?
I’m predicted 8s in everything so I can’t chose my ‘best subjects’
My other idea was to go into economics so maybe doing maths? And I really like geography and Rs. Also Media studies sounds really interesting it’s one of those subjects where I know I definitely wouldn’t be bored.
So should I go with what I’ll find most fun, what gives me the most options afterwards or what I can use to go into medicine with the chance I’ll hate chemistry and fail the a level.
Sorry about such a long thingy, any options would be much appreciated:smile:

Hi, so I've just finished my A-Levels and I would personally go with the subjects you are most interested in - A-Levels are hard and you devote a lot of time to them, and it's so much easier when you genuinely enjoy the topic.

There are (not loads) about 15 med schools where chemistry isn't required (however I do a degree in french and history so I'm not sure how helpful I would be with med school applications lol!)
If you enjoy maths, it's always a good A-Level to have because you can apply to a wide range of courses so it keeps your options open
> geography and rs sound like good subjects, either would give you a good balance with Maths because you would have to write lots of essays
> also when do you have to choose your A-Levels by? see how gcse is going so far, there might be some interesting topics that you haven't started yet that might change your mind

I hope some of this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest