The Student Room Group

What should I do

Hello, I'm a final year a level student whose really struggling to find what to do. I applied for Occupational therapy and got rejected from first course which paid for all tuition and gave money to study. I've been accepted to cardiff which pays for tuition if u stay for 2 years after. So that's 5 year commitment snd with the course I eork 40 hours undated so no time for job. I can't apply for student finance and know no one going to cardiff.
So I'm not thinking should I do something safer like computer science but it seems saturated and boring. I considering anything which isn't super tough tbh which pays +50k and I wnat to travel the world. I could take year out but why when I could do to uni this year. I'm just looking for job for next 10 years which pays well and is interesting. I don't have many hobbies. I've looked at CAO. I could do podiatry which I don't like but guaranteed job after uni and can earn decent and travel to most country's.
I'm shut w maths and dint really wnat to look sat down at screen for ages unless pay is super good. I release I'm just like a privileged white girl making up problems for myself but still bothers me quite bad. Most people cant go to uni or do a levels so i relaise im very forcunate. Can people tell me how they found healthcare course if they did NHS wales bursury or list careers which earn well and would make me happy?
I have science in my a levels and predicted ABB.
seriously thank you if u read this far. If ur in same position as me in like 10 years and thinking I wonder what they r up to. Same. Seriously same. Should all work out if I get these a levels.
Why can't you apply for student finance? That might impact other options too.

What A level subjects are you taking and what grades are you expecting to get?
Reply 2
take a gap year honestly dont rush into things if you're unsure what to do. trust meee youll have way more time to think and you wont end up choosing something you might end up hating
Reply 3
Original post by JerryAttrick
Hello, I'm a final year a level student whose really struggling to find what to do. I applied for Occupational therapy and got rejected from first course which paid for all tuition and gave money to study. I've been accepted to cardiff which pays for tuition if u stay for 2 years after. So that's 5 year commitment snd with the course I eork 40 hours undated so no time for job. I can't apply for student finance and know no one going to cardiff.
So I'm not thinking should I do something safer like computer science but it seems saturated and boring. I considering anything which isn't super tough tbh which pays +50k and I wnat to travel the world. I could take year out but why when I could do to uni this year. I'm just looking for job for next 10 years which pays well and is interesting. I don't have many hobbies. I've looked at CAO. I could do podiatry which I don't like but guaranteed job after uni and can earn decent and travel to most country's.
I'm shut w maths and dint really wnat to look sat down at screen for ages unless pay is super good. I release I'm just like a privileged white girl making up problems for myself but still bothers me quite bad. Most people cant go to uni or do a levels so i relaise im very forcunate. Can people tell me how they found healthcare course if they did NHS wales bursury or list careers which earn well and would make me happy?
I have science in my a levels and predicted ABB.
seriously thank you if u read this far. If ur in same position as me in like 10 years and thinking I wonder what they r up to. Same. Seriously same. Should all work out if I get these a levels.

With any allied health course with a bursary (in Wales) you will be committed to two years in Wales after graduation. That two years will fly by. Also, you will be grateful of that first job post graduation. There are some issues with enforcing this two-year rule and many people end up as bank staff for large periods.

Why are you concerned about whether you know anyone going to Cardiff? University is about new beginnings, meeting new people, being independent. It's scary - but it's an adventure. Embrace that sense of adventure. You'll be much better for it in the medium- and long-term. People can be homesick in the first few months and consider dropping out, but you will get into a routine. You'll meet new people. You'll make friends. Cardiff is a brilliant city and it's a lot friendlier than people realise.

Please don't choose a job and career just for the money, especially if you already know it's not right for you. It will destroy you. I made that error when I was younger and it took me lots of twists, turns and brave steps over quite a few years to get back on track.

Also, don't go worrying about the whole white privilege malarkey. Don't go feeling guilty for something that's irrelevant to your decision.

Occupational Therapy is a popular subject and you're lucky to still be in with a chance of studying the course at a really good uni. Don't fall for the podiatry trap! Take a look at the discussion on podiatry because you need to know what you're letting yourself in for. Podiatry is a narrow, routine profession whilst OT is far more varied. You have really good predicted grades, so you can do much better than podiatry (plus, you'll be bored very quickly given your high ability at science).

Concentrate on achieving really high grades at A-level. As one other person said, there's nothing wrong in taking a year out to consider what you really want to do. I personally believe that young people are pushed too strongly towards university and there is a vested interest in keeping all these youngsters on an ever-rolling conveyor belt from school to college to uni. If you take the time to jump off the conveyor belt and take a breather then you will have a fresh perspective. Don't feel like you're a failure or being left behind just for taking a year out: it could be one of the wisest options you ever make and prevent you going down a wrong paths from which it's difficult retrace your steps.

Best of luck and get revising!

Quick Reply

Latest