The Student Room Group

What 4th A level should I drop?

I take biology, chemistry, psychology and maths. Today was my first proper day of y12 with lessons and I enjoyed both biology and chemistry, but not psychology despite being really excited for it. Is this because we began with research methods? It was quite boring, not as much difficult. But I don't want to do 4 A levels and have been wondering if I should drop psychology, or give it a chance? I have not had maths yet so I think I'll wait a few weeks. I would like to go into medicine so I can only really drop either maths or psychology.
Original post by kmarcz
I take biology, chemistry, psychology and maths. Today was my first proper day of y12 with lessons and I enjoyed both biology and chemistry, but not psychology despite being really excited for it. Is this because we began with research methods? It was quite boring, not as much difficult. But I don't want to do 4 A levels and have been wondering if I should drop psychology, or give it a chance? I have not had maths yet so I think I'll wait a few weeks. I would like to go into medicine so I can only really drop either maths or psychology.

I’d say give it a few weeks if you can to see which one you like best
Yes, give it a few more weeks
Give it a few weeks, if you think your mind will change, but it’s perfectly okay to dive out now. I started out with the exact same A-level combination as you in Year 12, and by the end of the first week, not only did I realise that four was too many, I also realised that Psychology is absolutely not what I thought it would be. By the time I came back to college on Monday, I spoke to the head of my sixth form, and it was dropped. Best decision I ever made, means I didn’t lose any valuable time for my other three subjects, and I had more breathing room in terms of assignments and revision time.

So, I would say give it a few weeks, but if you absolutely know you won’t enjoy it going forward, just drop it :smile:
Reply 4
I don't do psychology but I've heard from friends that do do it research methods is kinda boring and drags on but once you're past that it is really interesting, unfortunately I think that wasn't until February or so (but they did have interesting lessons with their other teacher). I'd say wait a few weeks and perhaps speak to your teachers about it but just from what I've seen, people generally enjoy psych more than maths
Original post by yogo1o
I don't do psychology but I've heard from friends that do do it research methods is kinda boring and drags on but once you're past that it is really interesting, unfortunately I think that wasn't until February or so (but they did have interesting lessons with their other teacher). I'd say wait a few weeks and perhaps speak to your teachers about it but just from what I've seen, people generally enjoy psych more than maths

it is not that boring, even the maths was interesting for me. although for math it's... exam question after exam question for A* while for psychology you need essays etc. so math could be preferred by some.

Quick Reply

Latest