The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

I just did my second medify mock.. I did Mock 2 first and then just did Mock 1. For Mock 2 I had
VR: 650
QR: 650
AR: 780
SJT Band 2

After Mock 1 I got
VR: 600 :frown:
QR: 750
AR: 800
SJT Band 2

Even though my average went from 690 to 717 my VR score i very disappointing and Im freaking out.. The count down with liek 2 days left and my VR score decreasing is just too much :O anyone do these same mocks and can you compare them to your real results? :frown: VR is scary
Original post by Niraxas
Can someone post the link for the interim results? I cant find it. Also anyone else think the questions are getting harder now comparing recent scores to those about a week back? :frown: mine is in a few days and this is kinda scary

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2016%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20150916.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys does anyone have a medify account i could use please i would be so grateful. Pm me please!
Original post by stardust-dream
Yeah that's true! But what I'm saying is that I think the scoring for the real exam is nicer than that of the mocks- for example, if a score of 27/44 was 600 in a mock, in a real exam that score would give you 680. If you get what I mean? :smile:

(Just so everyone's aware, I made those values up. Idk if a score of 27/44 actually gives 600 in any mock tests aha :tongue: )

no the scorings the same as it has always been. Most likely is the questions were easier.
Is a 610 UKCAT score good enough for Plymouth?
Hi everyone,
I know this may have been answered, but can somebody please tell me which medify mock is the most representative of the real thing? Please answer as I have my exam tomorrow and im stressed!!!

Thank you xx
Original post by Ikram99
I got:
VR-510
QR- 650
AR- 580
SJ - Band 4 😫🔫
Average: 580
Which unis (apart from BMAT unis)?
Im hoping to apply for foundation medicine

I'm hoping to apply for foundation medicine too :smile: where are you thinking of going?
sac
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4768
Original post by pvk19.
Hi everyone,
I know this may have been answered, but can somebody please tell me which medify mock is the most representative of the real thing? Please answer as I have my exam tomorrow and im stressed!!!

Thank you xx

Ok so I didn't do any medify but from all the online resources I used(ukcat own practice tests, medic portal, Kaplan) I can confidently tell you that
1. DO NOT underestimate VR, it's much harder in the real thing and my lowest score to date(530)
2. Quantitative is much easier so really don't stress about it, I was worried about this section but ended up with 850
3. Abstract is more or less the same, slightly easier than practice and as long as you go in with a calm mind frame you will be fine
Original post by aspiringmedic178
Is a 610 UKCAT score good enough for Plymouth?

Hmm, last year's UKCAT cut off for Plymouth was 650. And this year, the UKCAT average appears to have increased slightly, with the publication of the UKCAT interim average scores for 2017 entry. So at the end of the UKCAT season, Plymouth may have a fairly high cut off score.

We have a great blog on where to apply if you have a low UKCAT score - just check out that hyperlink!

We've got our fingers crossed for your application. If you have some good academic scores under your belt and a great personal statement, you have a good chance!

Hope this helps,
The Medic Portal
Original post by pvk19.
Hi everyone,

Thank you xx

Id say that mock 1 on medify is the best representation. I got 670 on mock 1 band 1 and then in the real thing i got 660 band 1.
Reply 4771
Original post by mithi98
Just did the UKCAT:VR: 530 (it was hard)QR: 850AR: 600 (disappointing)SJ: Band 2AVG: 660AS: AAAAAA2 predictions most likely to be A*A*AAGCSEs: 6A* 4AGood PSWhere should I apply? I wanted to apply to London unis like Queen Mary/St Georges/King's

You're actually my twin😂 I've just seen this and we have almost identical stats:u:KCATaverage:703VR:530(wtf I know)QR:850😜AR:730Sjt: band 2GCSE: 7A* 4AsAS: 4AsA2 Predictions: A* A* A (in the process of getting the A changed to an A*)+I also want to apply to Kings as my top choice hahah
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hmm, last year's UKCAT cut off for Plymouth was 650. And this year, the UKCAT average appears to have increased slightly, with the publication of the UKCAT interim average scores for 2017 entry. So at the end of the UKCAT season, Plymouth may have a fairly high cut off score.

We have a great blog on where to apply if you have a low UKCAT score - just check out that hyperlink!

We've got our fingers crossed for your application. If you have some good academic scores under your belt and a great personal statement, you have a good chance!

Hope this helps,
The Medic Portal

By how much do you reckon cut offs will rise because i got 660 so im quite close to last years cut off for plymouth so i dont know whether i ll meet it 😑
Original post by osnapitzkimmy
Any predictions for the cut off score for ukcat heavy unis? Hoping to apply to Newcastle, Nottingham and Southampton with 747 average and Band 2:smile:

Hey there,

Well last year's Newcastle cut off was 695, Southampton's was 705 and Nottingham used the UKCAT to score applicants as follows:

"For 2017/18 UCAS Admissions cycle there will be four components to the UKCAT test which will be scored.
The three cognitive components (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, abstract reasoning) are each scored as follows:
801 900 = 9 points
701 800 = 8 points
601 700 = 7 points
501 600 = 6 points
401 500 = 5 points
301 400 = 4 points
The weighting for each of the three cognitive components is equal.
The fourth component, SJT, is scored as follows:
Band 1 = 3 points
Band 2 = 2 points
Band 3 = 1 point
Band 4 = 0 point
Please note: Applicants who achieve a Band 4 are not considered further.
To help you work out your score for the UKCAT test, please follow this example:
An applicant who has achieved the following scores will be awarded the following number of points:
Verbal Reasoning score of 680 = 7 points
Quantitative Reasoning score of 500 = 5 points
Abstract Reasoning score of 710 = 8 points
SJT Band 2 = 2 points
Total points awarded for UKCAT = 22 out of a maximum of 30.
The UKCAT results are added to the academic scores where applicable and the top 50% of applicants will go forward to the next stage which involves reading and scoring personal statements and references.Applicants in the lower 50% at this stage are not considered further."

So with that in mind, your great UKCAT score probably puts you in a fine position!

Good luck with it all!

The Medic Portal
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi folks

Sat mine this afternoon:
VR 650
QR 710
AR 550
Band 1 SJT
Av: 636 merh, nothing spectacular, not awful. Doesn't really affect my choice of unis, always a bit disappointing to come back with what feels like a low average though when I was aiming for 700+.*
I practiced the AR for 2hrs every day for about a fortnight ... thought I would be ok, but a lot of my sets involved counting and honestly, I got flustered and forgot where I was up to etc. and just ran out of time so had to guess a lot.*

As others have said VR does contain lengthy paragraphs, had to guess some of them too. With it being the first section it's pretty disheartening and I carried that mood with me for the rest of the test. Don't do this! Flip it the bird and give each section your best shot, fully focused on each section for what it is.

QR was easier than the mocks,

SJT was tricky.

All the best for future sitters.
Original post by ford2910
By how much do you reckon cut offs will rise because i got 660 so im quite close to last years cut off for plymouth so i dont know whether i ll meet it 😑

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing because candidates are still to sit the test... Sorry we can't be of more help! Have you tried phoning the admissions office to ask them their opinion?

The Medic Portal
Original post by CSD99
Ok so I didn't do any medify but from all the online resources I used(ukcat own practice tests, medic portal, Kaplan) I can confidently tell you that
1. DO NOT underestimate VR, it's much harder in the real thing and my lowest score to date(530)
2. Quantitative is much easier so really don't stress about it, I was worried about this section but ended up with 850
3. Abstract is more or less the same, slightly easier than practice and as long as you go in with a calm mind frame you will be fine

Thanks!! May I ask what did you get in the exam? Also, how much did the real score actually compare to any practice mock scores that you did?
Original post by ford2910
Id say that mock 1 on medify is the best representation. I got 670 on mock 1 band 1 and then in the real thing i got 660 band 1.

Thanks!!
Reply 4778
Original post by pvk19.
Thanks!! May I ask what did you get in the exam? Also, how much did the real score actually compare to any practice mock scores that you did?

I got 2110 so an average of 703.3,
VR 530 QR 850 AR 730 SJT band 2
Overall I was fairly happy but I'm pretty pissed off about verbal(I could have had a brilliant score had it not dragged me down so much!)
And in terms of comparison, VR was good in practice and far worse in the real thing(I was expecting about 700 for that section) but in practice AR/QR never went too well but in the real thing it was fine!
Who was it that said websites make their mocks harder than the actual exam on purpose so when you score better in the exam you can say that their website helped you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending