Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current Year 12 Thread Mark I (2013-2014) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pathosL)
    for my inductions i've gotten AAAE maths chemistry biology and physics. e in physics lol i said in this very forum that i was going to do bad and I did. Oddly enough i'm dropping biology to do further maths
    Congrats on the 3 A's! and as for the Physics, I just had a test today on topics we have covered so far, I think I only got one question right and even then it was a definition Quite a step up from GCSE Physics, oh how I miss the speed time graphs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    Enrolling onto gold duke of Edinburgh award, I'm genuinely excited for it
    Haaaaahahhaha you won't be once you're doing the expedition
    It's deadly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just preordered something from cd japan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
    Oh gosh, that must be awful! You poor thing, I congratulate you greatly for getting a Distinction in spite of that.
    Oh lol, I got a pass When they eventually did get us a teacher, she had no clue. I had to go back into school in July {I finished mid-June} to correct some work because luckily another ICT teacher had noticed that she'd made us do the wrong thing -.-

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the double post, but I've been contemplating this all day...

Further maths.

At my school, it can only be a fifth option {i.e I'd take biology, chemistry, physics, maths, AND further maths, I couldn't drop chemistry and do further maths instead}, not as a fourth. In a few weeks every maths student does a test, and the few with the highest marks will be asked to do it. I'm pretty confident that I'll do well in the test, and my teacher knows that I'm interested. I'm just worried about the workload? I struggled to cope with stress at GCSE, and I don't want to stress myself out before I've even really started, if that makes sense. Would you do it or not if you were in my situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glitch96)
    Congrats on the 3 A's! and as for the Physics, I just had a test today on topics we have covered so far, I think I only got one question right and even then it was a definition Quite a step up from GCSE Physics, oh how I miss the speed time graphs!
    lol hopefully picking up further maths and doing m1 will help with as physics :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hey there guys, today In my tutorial lesson I got my prediction of my AS Level Results based upon my
    GCSE Results.

GCSE Results -> 4a's, 6b's = Minimum: B,B,C,C - Maximum: A,A,A,B.

Personally, I only need to get B,B,B,B for my Insurance & A,B,B,B for my 1st choice.

Is it weird that they base AS Level results predictions of your GCSE Results. I mean AS Level your taking the subjects you enjoy & excel at but at GCSE you have so many variables such as subjects your not as passionate in & your taking 9-12+ subjects in most cases?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
    That does sound like the best way to do it Shh, at the beginning of Year Ten when I had little idea of what GCSEs would be like, I regarded reading online articles about The Apprentice and e-mailing my friend who was sat next to me as very important
    Of course E-mailing was a big part of lessons for me, there's just something about e-mailing in lessons that's fun because how often do you use e-mail to contacts your friends at home? XD We started our OCN IT course in year 9 :O So that's probably why I had a lot of time to spare.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone, by any chance, has some spare Magic: The Gathering cards that they don't want and want to send to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyh77)
    Haaaaahahhaha you won't be once you're doing the expedition
    It's deadly

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds like the best part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulagreenleaf)
    Sorry for the double post, but I've been contemplating this all day...

Further maths.

At my school, it can only be a fifth option {i.e I'd take biology, chemistry, physics, maths, AND further maths, I couldn't drop chemistry and do further maths instead}, not as a fourth. In a few weeks every maths student does a test, and the few with the highest marks will be asked to do it. I'm pretty confident that I'll do well in the test, and my teacher knows that I'm interested. I'm just worried about the workload? I struggled to cope with stress at GCSE, and I don't want to stress myself out before I've even really started, if that makes sense. Would you do it or not if you were in my situation?
    Personally I wouldn't, unless I was a) so good at maths I'd already covered half the A-level syllabus by myself, or b) planning on a career directly related to maths. I'm sure you're very capable, but to be quite honest, unless you absolutely need the fifth AS to get onto the course you want to study at uni (i.e. you plan to study maths), it's going to be a lot of extra work for no real reason. No university will ever expect (or even particularly want) 5 AS levels, and there's also the problem that your grades in your other subjects could slip...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry who wants to become best friends/study buddies?
    I'm friendly promiseeee

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexandraScarlet)
    Anyone else doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry who wants to become best friends/study buddies?
    I'm friendly promiseeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What exam boards?

ReputationRep:
    I'm friendly promiseeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aqa for phy and Chem and edexcel for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulagreenleaf)
    What exam boards?
    I'm doing Edexcel Maths and FM, OCR chemistry, and AQA physics!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Edexcel Maths and FM, OCR chemistry, and AQA physics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, so we are the same for maths and physics, carry on through pm?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    That sounds like the best part
    If it's anything like ours was, it will be paaaaaaainful and also if anyone in your group even slightly annoys you, you will probably want to kill them by the end of it
    make sure you interrogate everyone in your group on the state of their ankles because we had one girl with dodgy ankles and she lagged behind the whole time, and making the rest of the group keep to her pace was a struggle.. bring supports and bandages
    also boil in the bag rice will most likely become your favourite food
    and mine was only a silver expedition so gold will be awful
    (i'm still planning on doing gold though because apparently i am mental)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kai Bloodworth)
    Does anyone, by any chance, has some spare Magic: The Gathering cards that they don't want and want to send to me?
    No, but I have a lot of Pokemon cards, if you're interested in buying some, and by some I mean 2,300

ReputationRep:
    Got a (very) borderline A in my first S1 exam! :^_^: I only dropped 5 marks overall, but it was out of 30, so each mark made a massive difference. I'm pretty happy with that, given that the class average was a low B, and I know exactly where I went wrong - it was just a silly mistake in rounding, which I carried forward throughout the calculations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glitch96)
    No, but I have a lot of Pokemon cards, if you're interested in buying some, and by some I mean 2,300
    I'll be honest with you, I've never liked pokemon

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.