The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 41
What is really LOL about it is that he was nominated back in February ...
burningnun
Am I the only one who thought this was a joke thread?

No, I was expecting to open it and see: "no not really, but how cool would that be?"
It is a sophisticated European insult - he knows it's a hollow prize as he's done bugger all and we all know it too. But now we get to smile and clap whilst he feels empty on the inside. It's a way to kill the man...slowly :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
burningnun
Nobody cares about your distaste for the American right. Really.

So why join in with an open debate on it?
Perhaps you'd feel happier here?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/09/president-barack-obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize/comments/

Here's a selection of the right-wing commentry going on there:

*On behalf of our citizenry, World, we apologize for unleashing the antichrist on you…

*Did we elect the Anti-Christ?

*Bo Bo the Monkey.

*BLAME EVERYONE ELSE and READ WELL FROM A TELEPROMPTER! WHAT A LOSER!

*A natural born dimbulb.

*He's a loser and so are they. Nobel Peace Prize is a worthless piece of junk.

Etc, etc, etc...
Why has he got this, he has done NOTHING!!! John Major deserves this more, he opened talks with the IRA
digitaltoast
So why join in with an open debate on it?
Perhaps you'd feel happier here?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/09/president-barack-obama-wins-nobel-peace-prize/comments/

Here's a selection of the right-wing commentry going on there:

*On behalf of our citizenry, World, we apologize for unleashing the antichrist on you…

*Did we elect the Anti-Christ?

*Bo Bo the Monkey.

*BLAME EVERYONE ELSE and READ WELL FROM A TELEPROMPTER! WHAT A LOSER!

*A natural born dimbulb.

*He's a loser and so are they. Nobel Peace Prize is a worthless piece of junk.

Etc, etc, etc...

You dumbass, this thread is not about the American right. I haven't joined a debate, I've just politely asked you to STFU. God damn it you're a cretin.
Just thought I'd add this.

The nominations for this prize ended only 11 Days into Obama's Presidency

What a joke!!
Reply 48
I'm as big an obama fan as they next guy, but he's not exactly done a great deal yet, I'm sure one day he will have done some create things towards world peace, but this is rather premature.

(what happened to his manifesto pledge to keep going with Afghanistan and move into Pakistan if he feels like it - not exactly nobel winning stuff is it?)
Reply 49
Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel Committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".

"It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done," he said.

He specifically mentioned Mr Obama's work to strengthen international institutions and work towards a world free of nuclear arms.

Seems like it's more of an encouragement for what he's started rather than what he's actually achieved, even so I always thought that Nobel prizes were meant to be awarded for achievement. You don't get the Nobel prize for Physics for coming up with an untested hypothesis.
burningnun
You dumbass, this thread is not about the American right. I haven't joined a debate, I've just politely asked you to STFU. God damn it you're a cretin.
Ah, right, so you don't want to join in, you just want others to shut up? Gotcha.

adamrules247
Just thought I'd add this.

The nominations for this prize ended only 11 Days into Obama's Presidency

What a joke!!
Follow it through with me real slow now, get a teacher to help if needed. OK, here we go. Nice big letters for you:

nom·i·na·tion (nm-nshn)
n.
1. The act or an instance of submitting a name for candidacy or appointment.
2. The state of being nominated.

Not noticed the difference between "nomination" and "decision"? Don't worry, we're here to help.
Reply 51
gamer91
I'm as big an obama fan as they next guy, but he's not exactly done a great deal yet, I'm sure one day he will have done some create things towards world peace, but this is rather premature.

(what happened to his manifesto pledge to keep going with Afghanistan and move into Pakistan if he feels like it - not exactly nobel winning stuff is it?)

I can't see why they've given it to him either...

If he had made some real progress with Iran or North Korea then maybe, he has managed to convince the Russians to decommission some of their Nuclear Weapons stock so does that go far enough?
Reply 52
The only bit of international diplomacy that really hit the news was that speech about understanding between Arabic Islam and Western Christian nations; which pissed off the Israelis.

As for co-operation between peoples...there are gun and ammo shortages in most southern states through people stockpiling weaponry in-case of an "Obama-caust".

:s-smilie: dey trippin?
It just goes to show how easy it is to get a Nobel Peace Prize as long as you're President of America. There's state leaders in many other volatile nations who have made much bigger strides towards peace. How has America reduced the level of violence in the world? The only thing Obama has done is not to make the problem significantly worse.
Reply 54
bigmo7
I can't see why they've given it to him either...

If he had made some real progress with Iran or North Korea then maybe, he has managed to convince the Russians to decommission some of their Nuclear Weapons stock so does that go far enough?

I suppose, that the nuclear decommissioning is a big step on from the cold war, and makes the world a safer place as a result, but surely as a result the Russian PM (i.e. anyone but pultin) should have received the reward jointly as a token gesture (and to encourage further diplomatic relations).

tbh I dont think it is sustainable to give a prize to every non-warmongering US president.

But at the same time, I do believe that Mr obama will do a good job for US relations with the rest of the world.

(I think I am trying to say that IMO he will deserve it, just not yet).
Reply 55
burningnun
Am I the only one who thought this was a joke thread?

Nope. I did.
I had to Google it.

But It's deserved I suppose... Bit premature though, yes. But it's good that they're supporting what he's trying to do.
And he's earned America back a bit of their lost respect...
Reply 56
In terms of foreign policy Obama is just a cool charismatic version of George Bush. He has escalated the war in Afghanistan, and is now pushing into Pakistan via the missile drones which are killing more civilians than enemies, thereby driving more people into the arms of radicals, thereby giving him more reasons to wage war. He makes promises about withdrawing the troops from Iraq, yet says nothing about the removal of the large offensive embassy, nor the countless military bases. He is ramping up pressure against Iran for Israels benefit, and still maintains a large military presence in the Middle East all in the name of 'national security'.

It's just more of the same. Obama is following a neo-con agenda. Which leads me to wonder why George Bush didn't get a nobel prize??
Don't black people find it patronising that he gets given an award for doing relatively nothing?
Hugh-Jackman
Don't black people find it patronising that he gets given an award for doing relatively nothing?

Well, Obama is half white and was raised by his white side of his family, that doesn't really make him black. The nobel peace prize is a bit stupid as Nobel greatest achievement was improving the design of dynamite.
Would the world be that different in this moment in time if Hillary, McCain, or Bush had been elected? Really??

His approval rating is barely scraping above 50 at the moment. He has not passed healthcare, the war in afghanistan is not going well, the recovery as stated by Evan Bayh, is taking longer that they would like.

The fact that the deadline was Feb 1st - just 12 days into his presidency - says everything.

If he accomplishes these things fair enough, but I see no other reason for him winning this award other than he's black. The speeches to the Muslim world, Cairo etc were done after the deadline.

Latest

Trending

Trending