The Student Room Group

Why do all the kids these days omit "to"?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It's probably because we're getting more lazy..? Yes I've heard people say things like, "You going Gatecrashers" "Going shops?" and all that.
Original post by Ilora-Danon
I'm from Milton Keynes and I've never heard anyone say that. I'd be gutted if I heard someone say that tbh.

How weird! I'm from Milton Keynes too and yet missing out 'to' and 'the' in sentences is exactly how I speak. Hmm, guess it can't be regional then... :erm:
(edited 13 years ago)
They talk like that near me. It's just dialect. Everyone has varied dialect.
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
I am a grammar nazi. When I hear things like this, a part of me dies inside

I don't mean to upset you, but you have made several grammatical errors.

'Nazi' should have a capital N.

There's no need for a comma between 'this' and 'a part'.

You didn't use a full stop at the end of your sentence.

Your grammar game is weak, bro :frown:
Reply 44
Original post by Arekkusu
Now I'm not usually ever some sort of grammar Nazi and certainly not a linguistic prescriptivist, but have people always said things like I'm going shop or come train station tonight or I've never been Scotland?

It annoys me a bit.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk like this. It sounds like a regional thing (as others have said) although I'm mildly curious as to in which region of the country it is where people speak like this.
Reply 45
And what mandem
Reply 46
Original post by Arekkusu
Now I'm not usually ever some sort of grammar Nazi and certainly not a linguistic prescriptivist, but have people always said things like I'm going shop or come train station tonight or I've never been Scotland?

It annoys me a bit.

I've heard that. I am a grammar Nazi and prescriptivist, so I find this exceedingly irritating.
Reply 47
I have to say that I often do this :redface:
Original post by snowyowl
How weird! I'm from Milton Keynes too and yet missing out 'to' and 'the' in sentences is exactly how I speak. Hmm, guess it can't be regional then... :erm:
But to be fair, I have luckily managed to grow up without having the 'London overflow' accent we seem to have here, so I wouldn't be surprised if kids in high schools talk like that.
But to be fair, I have luckily managed to grow up without having the 'London overflow' accent we seem to have here, so I wouldn't be surprised if kids in high schools talk like that.

That's the most accurate description of the MK accent I've heard :p: my bf only lives about 15 miles away and he thinks I sound common and "like a typical Milton Keyneser" (his word not mine!).

How did you manage that?

That accent describes the Stevenage accent pretty well I would say.
I had a housemate last year who did this all the time. "I'm goin' bed now." or "Where've you been?" "I been Tesco's" (a very Welsh Valleys thing that, adding the genitive to shop names; ASDA's, Tesco's, Somerfield's...) Needless to say, it drove me spare, as I'm quite the prescriptivist. I die inside when people write things like "I want to be an historian" :frown:
Original post by snowyowl
That's the most accurate description of the MK accent I've heard :p: my bf only lives about 15 miles away and he thinks I sound common and "like a typical Milton Keyneser" (his word not mine!).

How did you manage that?
I just didn't get lazy when everyone else did. I made the effort to pronounce my t's and am aware that 'f' and 'k' don't belong in the word 'something' - so it doesn't sound like 'sumfink'.

My sister who's as MK as you can get still says 'I ain't done nuffink' - and there's just no need for it! lol.
Reply 53
Down south people speak proper and pronounce 'to', a bit up north and they start saying 't', and I guess right the way up to Scotland they don't say it at all? Maybe because it's so cold :dontknow:
It isn't a "northern thing" LOL. OP it is just said out of laziness really.
Reply 55
Original post by limetang
I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk like this. It sounds like a regional thing (as others have said) although I'm mildly curious as to in which region of the country it is where people speak like this.

I think it's mainly London and the Home Counties (a.k.a. wannabe London).
Original post by Wilzyy
Must be a London thing, 'cause I hear this so much, I probably couldn't tell the difference anymore Lol.

It's a London thing. And yes, it kind of annoys me a bit but it'd be hypocritical of me to criticise as I tend to use it occasionally as well.
I hear it a lot in Birmingham, I say it sometimes too :frown:
Reply 58
i have never heard this, but it is retarded and anyone who does this is retarded.
Reply 59
I swear there was a thread on this recently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending