The Student Room Group

Did you ' bend ' the truth in your personal statement

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oShahpo
I never lied, just put things in a way that might have made me appear to have done more than I actually have, but no lies.

I think that is everyone with their PS haha
Reply 41
If you have to bend the truth to make yourself sound suitable for your chosen course, maybe you have chosen the wrong course...
Original post by Artjen
If you have to bend the truth to make yourself sound suitable for your chosen course, maybe you have chosen the wrong course...

It is a lot of space to write about and stating you benefited from one activity slightly more than you did doesn't detract from your love for a subject.
Yeah, nothing was a flat out lie but I'd 'enhanced the truth' for the majority of it.

For example, I helped out on a taster day for one of my A level subjects, and literally all I had to do was sit at the back of the classroom and help any of the GCSE kids if they raised their hand, then give a 2 minute talk at the end of the session explaining why I chose that subject at A level. All the kids were way too shy to get involved so I did nothing the whole day. On my personal statement I 'enhanced the truth' using wording like "I conducted various seminars with potential X students giving talks and taster sessions for X subject" or whatever. Not a flat out lie, but it definitely looked better than "I helped out on an open day in Sixth Form for X".

Outside of college I was also in a band and we did a UK tour, so I mentioned that, but I also mentioned that we had plans to do a tour of mainland Europe too. Obviously we didn't do that in the end, but it wasn't a straight up lie... we did have plans. But that's all they were.. plans. Again, it looked pretty good on my statement, and even if we did do a tour of Europe they never could have found out if it was the truth or not without talking to me properly and researching it.

Worked out alright in the end.
Did anyone have their personal statement written by anyone but themselves? family, third party?

Just wondering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending