The Student Room Group

Marketing MSc with no experience?

Hey,

Just wondering whether anyone else has done a Marketing masters without any prior knowledge or experience in the field?

I studied a BA in English Language and Linguistics and am now looking at doing a masters in Marketing. Although I qualify for all of the minimum entry requirements for this masters, I have never even had a placement/work experience in marketing.

I came out of uni and took a year out and worked in a minimum wage hospitality job.

How do I write a personal statement with this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :smile:
Hi @aimz10

In your personal statement speak about your new found passion in marketing and how this will benefit your future endeavors. Also include parts about your personal life, and how your previous qualification will be a great add on to this postgrad program.

Best wishes,
Minkateko - University of Essex Online Student Ambassador

Original post by aimz10
Hey,

Just wondering whether anyone else has done a Marketing masters without any prior knowledge or experience in the field?

I studied a BA in English Language and Linguistics and am now looking at doing a masters in Marketing. Although I qualify for all of the minimum entry requirements for this masters, I have never even had a placement/work experience in marketing.

I came out of uni and took a year out and worked in a minimum wage hospitality job.

How do I write a personal statement with this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Original post by aimz10
Hey,

Hey @aimz10 :biggrin: I would say if you find the right type of course for you then you'll really enjoy studying a PG course in Marketing. You already have a good grounding in that you come from a Humanities background, and plenty of PG Marketing courses will assume no prior knowledge of the course previously so don't worry about that.

If you read the course content and find it interesting, and manage to chat to staff and students who can go in to more detail about the course and it still appeals to you then I'd say absolutely go for it. PG study is a great way to upskill and expand your knowledge, so having a UG and PG degree in two differing areas can be really beneficial.

In your personal statement, I'd use that to talk about any interests you have within Marketing (e.g. PR/Advertising/Social Media/Data Analysis/Design etc), and what has encouraged you to study this at Postgraduate level. If you can show a genuine interest in the subject are and demonstrate your desire to learn more then that's great. Don't worry that you didn't do it at UG; something has made you want to study it at PG so focus on that and talk about what you'd like to gain from the course and what makes you suitable for it. You can talk about the great skills you'll have gained at UG study, but also from your year away working with the public - things like communication and problem solving ones could be good to show off!

Wishing you tons of luck with your application! If in doubt get in touch with the universities you're interested in!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by aimz10
Hey,

Hello 😊

Although there are some courses that might not be introductory and require a bachelor's and/or experience in that specific area (this is usually in the requirement sections of the course), I would say that your personal statement is more important than your background because it's what makes you different than all the other candidates. Be truthful and simply write the reasons why you're looking into marketing.

You should mention your passions and why you are interested in marketing, if there are any specific areas you're curious about like Analysis or Social Media, and what motivated you to change fields. You can also mention your passions and goals and how they align with the course you're applying for.
Finally, your background is not a disadvantage, so you can mention how the skills you learned in your bachelor's and work experience will help you in the pursuit of a PG.

Another tip would be to look into some free online Marketing courses as this would build your CV. I've done the Google Fundamentals of Digital Marketing online course and it's extremely educational.

Personally, I've just submitted my dissertation as part of my Digital Marketing and Channel Management MSc at the University of Surrey and I've had a lot of colleagues whose background was not in marketing. We talked a lot about how we came from different educational backgrounds and that the personal statement was a real deal-breaker. Also, they understood the modules' content and did not find it difficult to keep up with me, who already had prior marketing knowledge, so don't worry about that!

Here's the link to the course in case you are interested: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/postgraduate/digital-marketing-msc.

I hope this helps and good luck,
Jénifer
MSc Digital Marketing and Channel Management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending