The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Is Bristol bias against private schools??

Scroll to see replies

Please remember that most of the time the adjustment made isn't in recognition that most of the state school pupils WILL get BBB, or ABB, or whatever, given that most of them will end up getting AAA or AAB. It's made to encourage them to firm Bristol, despite their educational background, which might put them off or make them feel that less secure in getting AAA or whatever.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 41
I'm sure I read a statistic somewhere about how Bristol have an unusually high intake of private school students? Maybe if that was a few years ago they do now discriminate in order to rectify that? I'm just guessing, I really doubt there is actually any bias.

From my personal experience, I go to a state school and most of the people I know who applied to Bristol didn't get in. That doesn't mean I'm going to start saying Bristol is biased against state schools. Maybe all the people who applied from private schools and didn't get just didn't have particularly strong applications? (Other than the predicted 3 As/whatever).
The percentage of private/public to state is around 40/60 respectively, which, given the percentage of the children in private/public schools in the country, which is under 10%, is highly disproportionate. This is why Bristol (and the vast majority of universities) are committed to widening participation.

I don't think the scheme is negatively biased towards either state or private/public school; it's trying to find the balance between recognising outstanding achievement and also taking into account those factors which could either augment or hinder the progress of those with great potential to excel in higher education, and making minor adjustments to their admissions policy in light of those factors. From where I stand it's egalitarianism, but I'm sure others will disagree, depending on which side of the fence they fall.
Reply 43
Lmao

Though I have to say, however 'in-depth' those interviews were he seems to have extrapolated a hell of a lot from just 55 of them...
Reply 44
n0c0ntr0l
They judge on potential, I'm sure a boy coming from the local comprehensive near my house would get into bristol with BBB easier than I would whilst predicted AAA.

my arse...
Reply 45
I have no doubt that this year 2012 Bristol Med school is TOTALLY biased against Private Schools. All the students in Private schools in our area even with A* and A's across the board were rejected without even an interview
Omar DO NOT apply to Bristol if you are a Private school (in 2004 there was a boycott even)

I go to a private school and was going to apply to Bristol for Economics and Politics (2nd or 3rd choice though after my oxford punt) but I feel a little disheartened after all of the private schools in my area, including my school are disuading candidates from applying there because apparently they hate them. What's your take on this?? Should I or is it a risk not worth taking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending