The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

deleted

deleted
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by powertraits123
Hi so apparently bristol is very geneorus with contextual offers especially compared to other universities, many getting a contextual offer from bristol and not their other chocies, this seems unfair to me and not to sound sinister but does it not work to bristol detriment as compared to other unis their students are more likely to have worse grades?

You appear to be associating "worse grades" with less academic ability. The whole point of contextual offers is that isn't necessarily the case.

Student 1 could be at an excellent school, with wealthy parents, private tutoring, and a lot of academic support. Student 2 could be at a lousy school, with parents who can't afford to buy books, study aids or a laptop, and who are very unsupportive academically.

If Student 1 secures an A* and Student 2 secures an A, would it really be true to say that Student 1's better grade demonstrates their higher academic ability? No, it wouldn't. So if Bristol were to accept Student 2 this would not in any way "work to bristol detriment". The same goes for any other university.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
i agree with contextual offers do not get me wrong but bristol seems to be giving them out too generously and surely that works to the universities detriment, i knew poeple that would apply for bristol just for the lower offer. surely it means its giving them to people that do not deserve them.

How do Bristol's criteria for contextual offers compare to those of other universities of similar stature?
you only have to meet one criteria such as aspiring state schools, free school meals or areas of low participation. durham does not have a list and you have to meet two criterias, like free school meals and being in care for example. also this list at bristol is quite large and ive heard not objective enough with many good schools on it and lower one omitted. some people apply to bristol jsut for the lower offer to insure them which seems unfair to me

What do you mean by "I've heard" that Bristol's list is "not objective enough"? Have you examined the criteria yourself or just taking the word of others?

You appear to have a bit of a.fixation about Bristol, given your other posts. Why can't Bristol, or any other university, choose a particular policy on contextual offers? Why not criticise university X for having a too narrow policy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending