The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Kids are pretty sad if all they can do for entertainment nowadays is binge drink themselves to death at 14 years old.

Parents should control their kids and not let them wander around at all hours on parks getting drunk every Friday night.
firstly hi secondly its not children lol its child, because children is upto 12 years old and i dont think in this age they like to drink. well im expressing my own idea. well yeah some parents are realy strict that they even wont let their child to drink until the age of 18. well everyone know that when people are with friends in a party or something like that when other drink they will drink as well. i dont think its a good idea for those parents who are doing this. if those parent think that their child are not allowed to drink at home i dont think they will listen, if they dont are not allowed to drink at home they will drink in a party. and yeah as you say they will get crazy because of drinking too much and getting drunk becoz they know if they go home they are Not AlloWED. and i think it may cause danger to them. i think parents should let them be free because a person who wants to drink and want to be socialize,they know best what is good and what is bad!!!!!
Well I don't know of the ages but at no age should anyone binge drink themselves dead.
Children should be gradually introduced to alcohol in their teenage years not saying 13 and 14 year olds should be binge drinking but introducing it to them and letting them understand their limit and how certain drinks affect them will only benefit them. Can you imagine turning up to freshers week on the first day having never been drunk?

besides it's more fun drinking in a pub when you're under age :P
BabyfacedDom
Children should be gradually introduced to alcohol in their teenage years not saying 13 and 14 year olds should be binge drinking but introducing it to them and letting them understand their limit and how certain drinks affect them will only benefit them. Can you imagine turning up to freshers week on the first day having never been drunk?

besides it's more fun drinking in a pub when you're under age :P

Now that is an interesting take on things and I could see the benefit of doing it. Allowing them to see the positives and negatives while at the same time letting them see for themselves how much they can take is a good idea.

However you have the chance of them liking it and becoming addicted. :/
Reply 45
I've been allowed to have small glasses of alcohol by my parents since I was nine years old. Nowadays, they're disappointed that I won't touch the stuff for the life of me.

But enough of my life story, there are plenty of other countries with more lax drinking rules and with much lower rates of binge-drinking and alcohol-fueled crime. Banning it will only make it worse for the tighter lawed countries...
Reply 46
Have Your Say
Children under 15 should never be given alcohol, England's chief medical officer is to say. Will you follow this advice?

Sir Liam Donaldson will also call for patents to supervise any older children given alcohol.

Ministers and doctors are worried by rising rates of both binge-drinking and alcohol-related liver disease. The public will be asked for its views on the advice during a consultation period.

Some parents, and researchers, have argued that giving children an occasional drink helps demystify it. But Sir Liam will insist that an "alcohol free" childhood is the healthiest option.

Will this advice help address binge-drinking and health problems? Are you a parent or a teenager? If so, what do you think of this advice?

Hell yeah. One of my friends died at the age of 14 from passing out and knocking themselves out on a brick wall. she swallowed her tongue. I think when with parents, children at the age of 16 should be able to drink, so long as they are not getting absolutely trashed.
Have Your Say
Children under 15 should never be given alcohol, England's chief medical officer is to say. Will you follow this advice?

Sir Liam Donaldson will also call for patents to supervise any older children given alcohol.

Ministers and doctors are worried by rising rates of both binge-drinking and alcohol-related liver disease. The public will be asked for its views on the advice during a consultation period.

Some parents, and researchers, have argued that giving children an occasional drink helps demystify it. But Sir Liam will insist that an "alcohol free" childhood is the healthiest option.

Will this advice help address binge-drinking and health problems? Are you a parent or a teenager? If so, what do you think of this advice?

I don't think parents should ban children from drinking alcohol but they should educate them so that they don't want to drink. Thats a much more effective way to reduce the amount being drunk. Banning it just makes people want to drink it when they turn 18.
The parents that allow their kids to binge drink are the ones that won't care, even if legislation is passed making it illegal, and the ones that don't allow them to drink till they're pissed but give them the occasion glass of champagne to encourage healthy drinking habits are the ones that'll get punished.

Smooth.
They should teach them responsible drinking and villify those who do not drink responsibly. If you ban a chld from doing something, they'll only want to do it more; it's the forbidden fruit concept.
Dumb idea.
Reply 51
Obviously there is nothing wrong giving your child the odd beer or two on special occasions such as Christmas, New Year or w.e it is when parents restrict their children from having any alcohol at all that they go and sneak behind their backs to drink it, because to them it becomes some sort of special novelty if they are drinking it without their parents knowledge.

At the end of the day my parents have always said they would rather me drink whatever i want within reason with them, then go out behind their back and do it with a bunch of mates over the park where something bad is most likely going to end up happening.

I don't really drink much alcohol even when given the chance because they have always given me the choice so it's not really a big deal.
Reply 52
No! In many european countries children are given alcohol by their parents from a very young age. These countries also have some of the lowest rates of binge drinking. When alcohol is discouraged by parents children tend to want to get drunk - it's basic rebellion and an attempt to be different from their parents.

If having a glass of wine at supper is the done thing when you are growing up, you are very unlikely to think that binge drinking or getting off your face is a good or normal thing!
Reply 53
PinkMobilePhone
I cannot see any reason why kids under 15 should be having alcohol at all. I never did, and I don't drink a great deal even now.

Between the ages of 17-20 I did used to get drunk when I went out clubbing, but that's not exactly uncommon (and it was only once a fortnight at the MOST, usually once a month.)
And I've only ever been sick from alcohol three times in my entire life.

Nowadays (when I'm not pregnant I mean) I only drink maybe 1 or 2 drinks a month, and it's because I like the taste (e.g. baileys) not to get drunk.

I haven't been drunk in years.

Offering alcohol to young children seems illogical. Why not offer them cigarettes as well? Surely the same thing of "it will teach them to have it in moderation" would apply there too?
It's not something a child needs to have polluting his/her body, that's why. Same for alcohol.

On the cigarettes, I know a few people who were forced to smoke a cigarette by their parents at the age of 12/13 - for all of them the horrible reaction to it and that their parents gave/forced it upon them meant they they never smoked, and that they'd never touch a cigarette again. Anyway, cigarettes are a flawed example, because they are addictive and you need more to get the same hit even in moderation (unlike alcohol) and they still cause you harm even in moderation (unlike alcohol which in moderation is good for you).

Polluting their bodies is a misleading term, as a small glass of wine won't do any teen any harm at all.

Your first sentence suggests that you are making the mistake of imagining because 'you never did' your situation should be fine for everyone else - which in all walks of life it isn't (applying to anyone with that attitude).
they shouldn't force them not to drink cause it will make them want to do it more, they should try to show them what the effects of drinking alcohol will do to them so they will wait till they're 18
When I was younger I hated the thought of drinking alcohol, and that was a decision I came to on my own. My parents would have probably allowed me a wine spritzer at christmas from 14+ but I never said yes. Parents can only influence their children and hope they make the right decision.
(edited 13 years ago)
No everyone should be entitled for a good laugh!
problem is a lot of kids manage to get drunk when their parents don't know :no:
Reply 58
It's a difficult situation, because the forbidden is tempting.

In my whole life, I never drank a lot, nor while I was a teenager, but most of teenagers are rebellious, so they could find alcohol more attractive if it is forbidden.

I think, it would depend of each teenager.
no, they should encourage responsible drinking from an early age so people are less likely to binge when older

Latest

Trending

Trending