The Student Room Group

caught shoplifting

i am currently in the 1st year of college and have messed up, me and 6 of my friends go into a shop down the road from our college as we enter, baring in mind we are not wearing lanyards, we see there is clearly a lack of staff and i walk to the drinks isle take a £1 drink and leave very stupid i know what i didn't know was my friends would proceed to take drink and food themselves. anyway we thought nothing of it as we all left and went back to college the next day we all get called into the office and sat down as a teacher displays photos of our faces on the cctv entering the shop i then admit to taking a drink but my friends didn't i offered to take the money back to the shop and asked what is there i can do but the teacher ignored me. we all got suspended for the day and now waiting on investigation as the police have left it to the college.
what do you think will happen to me and my future with the college?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by intheshi
i am currently in the 1st year of college and have messed up, me and 6 of my friends go into a shop down the road from our college as we enter, baring in mind we are not wearing lanyards, we see there is clearly a lack of staff and i walk to the drinks isle take a £1 drink and leave very stupid i know what i didn't know was my friends would proceed to take drink and food themselves. anyway we thought nothing of it as we all left and went back to college the next day we all get called into the office and sat down as a teacher displays photos of our faces on the cctv entering the shop i then admit to taking a drink but my friends didn't i offered to take the money back to the shop and asked what is there i can do but the teacher ignored me. we all got suspended for the day and now waiting on investigation as the police have left it to the college.
what do you think will happen to me and my future with the college?

Yeah, that was a bit stupid mate. Just don't steal in the first place it was only £1 just pay for it bruh- don't risk your future over a £1 drink...You might be alright tho. The police might just warn you if this is your first time stealing something. Just don't do it again...
Reply 2
Hopefully this won’t be blown out of proportion. Not good your casual attitude to theft, but not the crime of the century, hence the fortunate lack of interest from the police. Show remorse, say you’ve learned your lesson and offer to make good. Hopefully your immediate confession will help too. I’d tell your parents for support. And no more shoplifting
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Alonepast
Yeah, that was a bit stupid mate. Just don't steal in the first place it was only £1 just pay for it bruh- don't risk your future over a £1 drink...You might be alright tho. The police might just warn you if this is your first time stealing something. Just don't do it again...

yes i know deeply regretful. definitely won't be happening again, just scared for the college to kick me out as the police left it to them.
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
Hopefully this won’t be blown out of proportion. Not good your casual attitude to theft, but not the crime of the century, hence the fortunate lack of interest from the police. Show remorse, say you’ve learned your lesson and offer to make good. Hopefully your immediate confession will help too. I’d tell your parents for support. And no more shoplifting

yes i have definitely learnt from this biggest regret. i am just worried at what the college will do as i've only been their two months and have my english language resit next month and don't want them to kick me out.
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek

yes i have definitely learnt from this biggest regret. i am just worried at what the college will do as i've only been their two months and have my english language resit next month and don't want them to kick me out. From your evaluation of my mistakes do you think i'm gone or will be given a last chance.
Reply 6
as the police have left it to the college.

Wow, how generous of them. The victim of the crime doesn't get a say, the police, who are supposed to bring criminals to justice, are leaving it to a college to decide what to do... have the college asked the shop owners for their input on your punishment? People said it's not the crime of the century and I agree, but this line "we see there is clearly a lack of staff and i walk to the drinks isle take a £1 drink and leave" leaves me with little sympathy for you. Since the police don't seem bothered I hope the college expel you.
It's a relatively minor offence but possibly kicked out since this has led to detailed complaints from the community directly to the college, damaging their reputation. The fact you were instantly suspended and the lecturer dismissing your questions means being kicked out is v much on the table so be prepared.

Not unheard of for retailers to ban entire schools/colleges from their premises over this sort of thing which causes a lot of tension locally and is alone incentive to kick you out.
Reply 8
yes i have definitely learnt from this biggest regret. i am just worried at what the college will do as i've only been their two months and have my english language resit next month and don't want them to kick me out. From your evaluation of my mistakes do you think i'm gone or will be given a last chance.

My instinct is you’ll get away with a final warning if you play your cards right, but who knows. Is there anyone that can give you some advice or representation (eg students union, law centre) I’d certainly go for it
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending