The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

oooh just found a clockwork orange on that imdb list! It's definitely a must see...very odd but a great movie..we saw it English class and my friend who is kinda prudish kept going "oh noooo tell me when it's over" xD

then we saw clips from it in the psychology class and then I saw it again at home :smile:
Original post by MizzCupcakes
oooh just found a clockwork orange on that imdb list! It's definitely a must see...very odd but a great movie..we saw it English class and my friend who is kinda prudish kept going "oh noooo tell me when it's over" xD

then we saw clips from it in the psychology class and then I saw it again at home :smile:

The book is better. I am a big fan of the film and I believe that Kubrick was very faithful most of the time. However, he missed out the last chapter of the novel! The chapter that is the most important since it shows Alex redeemed. To miss out that is an insult. If a Clockwork Orange wasn't based on a novel, then the ending of the film would've been superb (it is is pretty good), but it means that people who haven't read the novel are missing out on the complete message that Burgess was intending to convey.
Original post by maskofsanity
Does anyone here buy Blu-Rays?

Is it worth getting a Blu-Ray player and paying more for Blu-Rays over DVDs?

On topic: If you like Mark Rufallo and Ethan Hawke (probably two of my favourite actors, so when I found this I was like :shock:), I recommend: What Doesn't Kill You. :smile:

Oh god yes. The quality is so much better. You're closer to what the director intended you to see and the detail is amazing.

Friend recently got this excellent player: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-BDPS370B-CEK-BDPS370-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B0038M1UTW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294585779&sr=8-1

Which has gotten fantastic reviews. At that price it's an absolute steal.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Madjackismad
The book is better. I am a big fan of the film and I believe that Kubrick was very faithful most of the time. However, he missed out the last chapter of the novel! The chapter that is the most important since it shows Alex redeemed. To miss out that is an insult. If a Clockwork Orange wasn't based on a novel, then the ending of the film would've been superb (it is is pretty good), but it means that people who haven't read the novel are missing out on the complete message that Burgess was intending to convey.

Yeah, I'll prolly get the book in that case.. Our teacher mentioned that, I think she also read the chapter out loud but I dont remember...
Yeah, I'll prolly get the book in that case.. Our teacher mentioned that, I think she also read the chapter out loud but I dont remember...

It's a great book. It isn't long or anything and you pick up the nadsat language quickly.

Chapter 21? Burgess numbered it 21 because that is the age that is most commonly believed to be our coming of age.
It's a great book. It isn't long or anything and you pick up the nadsat language quickly.

Chapter 21? Burgess numbered it 21 because that is the age that is most commonly believed to be our coming of age.

yeah... I think it's slowly coming back to me but dont tell me more since if I'm gonna read it it's good that I have a slightly bad memory so that I dont know what exactly happens in the end :tongue:
yeah... I think it's slowly coming back to me but dont tell me more since if I'm gonna read it it's good that I have a slightly bad memory so that I dont know what exactly happens in the end :tongue:

Just get the book. It's worth it.
For anyone that's seen both, 28 days later or 28 weeks later?

Saw 28 weeks L yesterday... I thought it was OK but the plot and character actions were just so unbelievably stupid, stretched believability a bit too far, half of the film was good and the 2nd half was pretty poor, cliche and not thought through imo - The acting wasn't even that bad, the plot was though
Original post by lukejoshjedi

Saw 28 weeks L yesterday... I thought it was OK but the plot and character actions were just so unbelievably stupid, stretched believability a bit too far, half of the film was good and the 2nd half was pretty poor, cliche and not thought through imo - The acting wasn't even that bad, the plot was though

Ive seen both but cant remember much except people running away from zombies... need to rewatch them! :tongue:

Weeks is a lot grander, but I thought Days had a more personal feel.
Original post by JellyyBeanyy
Ive seen both but cant remember much except people running away from zombies... need to rewatch them! :tongue:

ahh, well 28 weeks is more entertaining and easier to watch, 28 days is more psychological, more of a build up

I like how they're not zombies as such, they don't really eat people, they just kill them and then sprint around like athletes to find more people to kill xD I always find it funny when I see them running
right...but doesnt that change like all the time? it's not really consistent...it u should count something it prolly should be the books called 100 must-see films which includes many of these but still..
but I have seen some of them :wink: I havent seen the godfather though :colondollar: hehe what will happen to me ehehe... x)

It doesn't change that often, actually. The top of the list has been pretty much the same for a long time. They work it out based on the amount of people who've voted as well as the votes they give as well, so it usually takes a while for new films to creep up the list.

I have the application on Facebook where you can keep track of how many of them you've seen... I've seen 101. So many more to get through!

PS. I'm going to watch Mulholland Drive later on tonight, if anyone cares... I'll post my opinions up shortly afterwards :smile:
Original post by Phalanges
Weeks is a lot grander, but I thought Days had a more personal feel.

Agreed, also Cillian Murphy - aka sackcloth head was pretty ace in it too. Weeks had potential but the kids kinda ruined it for me tbh, I wanted the 12 year old boy to just get infected, he took the piss :rolleyes:
Original post by Jace Falco
Die Hard and Die Hard 2 are awesome, Die Hard With A Vengeance follows the wrong formula but is still awesome, and Die Hard 4.0 is just plain stupid.

mmm, yes. I do agree with that statement.
Watched The Other Guys - wasn't laugh out loud funny. However it was worth the watch.

Going to watch The Departed as well now.
Need suggestions on what to watch from the IMDB list...
Original post by S-man10

Apocalypse Now.

Just got the Vietnam expansion for Bad Company 2. :p:
Original post by S-man10

Original post by S-man10

You've never watched the Lord of the Rings? That's a good place to start.
Apocalypse Now.

Just got the Vietnam expansion for Bad Company 2. :p:

That film messed with my mind. I just about followed it until Marlon Brando showed up.

Perhaps I need to watch it again, but I didn't really understand it/get the hype.
If anyones interested -

Men Who Stare at Goats - is making a TV premiere. I remember wanting to go watch this when it first came but none of my friends were interested :colonhash: - http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=83084147
Run Fat Boy Run is also on - http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=83084659

Latest