The Student Room Group

Making friends at university.

Many people experience the same worries when starting uni. Recently I have seen a lot of posts worrying about making friends or feeling lonely. When I started uni last September I very much felt this way, so here's what i've learnt.

When I arrived at university I was given so much information on all sorts of events (freshers week has so much more going on than just clubbing!) and this meant that immediately there was plenty of opportunities to meet people.

The best advice I received was to get involved with things you know you like, and this way you will meet people who you already have at least one thing in common with. This can be societies, events, sports - anything you like! BUT don't be scared to try something new, uni is a great opportunity for a fresh start.

Everyone is trying to make friends at university so be open to talking to anyone. Have the confidence to start chatting to people, everyone speaks to so many people during the first few weeks that if it's an awkward interaction chances are they won't remember. If you are more introverted (like me) don't panic! Many people will be happy to start conversations so just get involved and enjoy yourself.

Hope this helps calm some nerves!
Hi there
I so agree that this is something that really does worry people!
I’d say that going to society’s social was a brilliant idea, I found this meant people who had immediate same interests were all in one place! The perfect place to make friends.
Best wishes
Emily <3
Hey there!
This is amazing advice. Starting university can be very daunting and there is so much expectation to immediately make amazing life-long friends, but this can be very difficult for some people, myself included.

Joining a society really did help me, as like you say, you meet people with similar interests. I joined the ski society, (I'd never been skiing before, but I wanted to learn so this was perfect for me). We would meet up each week for the socials and we had events every so often for ski slope trips. This was one of the best decisions I made as it allowed me to meet new people, fill up my weekly schedule and learn a new sport. Attending the first social can be daunting but everyone was so so nice, so I recommend anyone to just go for it!

I hope this helps.

Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador.
Original post by FayeYSJ
Many people experience the same worries when starting uni. Recently I have seen a lot of posts worrying about making friends or feeling lonely. When I started uni last September I very much felt this way, so here's what i've learnt.

When I arrived at university I was given so much information on all sorts of events (freshers week has so much more going on than just clubbing!) and this meant that immediately there was plenty of opportunities to meet people.

The best advice I received was to get involved with things you know you like, and this way you will meet people who you already have at least one thing in common with. This can be societies, events, sports - anything you like! BUT don't be scared to try something new, uni is a great opportunity for a fresh start.

Everyone is trying to make friends at university so be open to talking to anyone. Have the confidence to start chatting to people, everyone speaks to so many people during the first few weeks that if it's an awkward interaction chances are they won't remember. If you are more introverted (like me) don't panic! Many people will be happy to start conversations so just get involved and enjoy yourself.

Hello!

As a recent Uni of Bath graduate I thought I would jump in here and try to help by sharing a few of the things which helped me :smile:

Firstly, rest assured you are not alone if you are worrying about making friends, and its completely okay and normal to feel scared! Some really great advice already about joining a society or faith group as it really is a great way to meet a new group of people as well as finding a new hobby or nurturing an existing one - so I would definitely recommend jumping into one if this is for you! However I completely understand how this can equally be really daunting prospect if you are a quieter, more introverted person and there is perhaps not a society which particularly sparks your interest. Societies aren't for everyone, and its about finding a space where you're happy to be yourself among other people.

Some of my closest friends at Uni were actually the people on my Psychology course who I used to sit next to in lecture halls - particularly those in my personal tutor group. Here at Bath, we are all assigned a personal tutor who supports us throughout our whole degree, and around 3-6 all share the same tutor. Throughout the year we had to do group projects together - presentations, research projects etc, and I found that we got to know each other really well throughout that process and working together towards those projects together. At the end when our group assignments were submitted we used to celebrate together by going to Nandos in town or having a having a home-made pizza and film night at one of our flats/houses, which was always a lot of fun! Personally I was happier getting to know my friends through the course than I would have been at a society - but different things work for different people, and its about finding a context where you're comfortable chatting to people, whether that be through a society, your course or anything else your university offers :smile:

I hope that helps! Very best of luck everyone.

Holly
University of Bath
Original post by FayeYSJ

Great advice here! :smile:

It is perfectly normal to feel nervous when starting university, I know I did. I found freshers week really helpful as it allowed me to get to know my flatmates and to meet new people during the events. Everyone's in the same boat so it's easier to make new friends. Joining a society meant that I made friends outside of my course area and it allowed me to have a break away from my studies. My biggest advice is to enjoy your time getting to know people as at uni you are likely to make friends for life.
All the best, :smile:
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending