The Student Room Group

Official The London Interdisciplinary School Applicant Thread for 2024

Hi there,

Welcome to the official The London Interdisciplinary School Applicant Thread for 2024! Here, you have the opportunity to meet and chat with fellow applicants and ask any questions you want regarding applying to The London Interdisciplinary School.

Below are some icebreaker questions to help you get started:

“What course are you applying for?”
“Will you be attending any Open Days?”
“How are you feeling about starting University?”

Get involved in more conversations by visiting our directory here and join in with the Yr 13 Chat thread here.

Good luck and happy posting!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi there,

Welcome to the official The London Interdisciplinary School Applicant Thread for 2024! Here, you have the opportunity to meet and chat with fellow applicants and ask any questions you want regarding applying to The London Interdisciplinary School.

Below are some icebreaker questions to help you get started:

“What course are you applying for?”
“Will you be attending any Open Days?”
“How are you feeling about starting University?”

Get involved in more conversations by visiting our directory here and join in with the Yr 13 Chat thread here.

Good luck and happy posting!

Anyone applying to LIS for 2024 for Bachelors degree? If so, has anyone had an offer (and what was it)? Thank you.
Hi! I applied a few months ago, however since I had already sat my A Levels last year, I recieved an unconditional. I did acheive A*AAB - if that is any help. When I went to the open day, I think they told parents that offers can span quite a bit. I think it really does depend on your situation.
Thank you. Did you accept the offer? (I guess you have other offers)..
Also: I’d be applying directly (outside of UCAS as I’ve only just come across LIS) - I applied to my other 5 choices through UCAS awhile ago.

So if I apply to LIS directly, do you know if I could accept an offer from LIS directly too (outside of UCAS?)

Thank you so much.
Has anyone been invited to a Selection Day? If so, when?
Thanks and good luck
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you. Did you accept the offer? (I guess you have other offers)..

I did! I also applied for 5 unis for Psychology on UCAS beforehand as well.
Also: I’d be applying directly (outside of UCAS as I’ve only just come across LIS) - I applied to my other 5 choices through UCAS awhile ago.

So if I apply to LIS directly, do you know if I could accept an offer from LIS directly too (outside of UCAS?)

Thank you so much.

The LIS system is separate from UCAS so you can accept the offer on their own portal. If you receive an offer, they will also send you an email with a form to fill out with your choice :smile:
That’s really helpful, thank you.
Maybe see you in September!
Reply 9
Thank you.
Are you planning on attending LIS? (I guess you have other offers too)
Original post by Xyz2024
Thank you.
Are you planning on attending LIS? (I guess you have other offers too)

Hi
I’m awaiting an offer from LIS (hopefully!)… and still awaiting responses from some of my UCAS unis…. Once I’ve heard back from them all, I’ll decide (including visiting LIS). I did like it from the interviews…
Hi
I’m awaiting an offer from LIS (hopefully!)… and still awaiting responses from some of my UCAS unis…. Once I’ve heard back from them all, I’ll decide (including visiting LIS). I did like it from the interviews…
Hi, update: I got an offer (but it is really high). I’m still very keen and will go to the open day in April.
Hi, update: I got an offer (but it is really high). I’m still very keen and will go to the open day in April.
Congrats! The open days are a lot of fun and not like traditional ones - hope it goes well 🙂

Original post by highwayhearts
I did! I also applied for 5 unis for Psychology on UCAS beforehand as well.

Hi,

First of all, congratulations both on your offers!

As highwayhearts said, I really recommend the open days, they were a lot of fun when I was first finding out about LIS and I really enjoy getting involved now as a current student 😊 They’re a great showcase of what LIS is like day to day.

Very happy highwayhearts to hear that you've accepted your offer 🙂 ... hopefully see you in September!

Out of interest, what in particular makes you guys keen about LIS?
Original post by Finnian Russell
Hi,

First of all, congratulations both on your offers!

As highwayhearts said, I really recommend the open days, they were a lot of fun when I was first finding out about LIS and I really enjoy getting involved now as a current student 😊 They’re a great showcase of what LIS is like day to day.

Very happy highwayhearts to hear that you've accepted your offer 🙂 ... hopefully see you in September!

Out of interest, what in particular makes you guys keen about LIS?
Hi there
For me: the course - examining topics from lots of different angles. Being able to do some qualitative and some quantitative work. Sounds interesting, broad, different and - hopefully - useful to employers.

I’ve got a question for you Finnian: I’m thinking of potentially going into consulting. Do you know of any students who have jobs in this area on graduation / during the course? I saw that one student will be joining Goldman Sachs (tho I’ve no idea in what role) which is impressive…

How is student life at such a small uni? I’m thinking of clubs/activities etc.

Thanks a lot!
Hi there
For me: the course - examining topics from lots of different angles. Being able to do some qualitative and some quantitative work. Sounds interesting, broad, different and - hopefully - useful to employers.

I’ve got a question for you Finnian: I’m thinking of potentially going into consulting. Do you know of any students who have jobs in this area on graduation / during the course? I saw that one student will be joining Goldman Sachs (tho I’ve no idea in what role) which is impressive…

How is student life at such a small uni? I’m thinking of clubs/activities etc.

Thanks a lot!

I resonate with what you’re saying about quant and qual. In my second year I’m choosing particular methods modules to give me certain skills, but having to keep up both quant and qual leaves me feeling well rounded. You don't have to be perfectly balanced (e.g., 4 quant 1 qual module in the 3rd year, or visa versa) but have to keep up a bit of both.

The student who interned at Goldman Sachs worked in operations, but I don’t know what her job offer after uni is specifically.

Re: consulting, I wouldn’t recommend LIS for every career, but it seems to me very well suited to consultancy. Some things that come to mind:
· One of the assessments for a first year ‘problems’ module is a consultancy report for a policy client we worked with over the semester.
· One of LIS’s partners is KPMG and some LIS students have interned there the past 2 years. I’m not sure on who did and didn’t get an offer to come back after graduation, though.
· The CEO, Ed, consulted at McKinsey & Co before starting LIS). He’s held interview workshops and offered support/contacts to give people a leg up with their applications.
· Every few months, we hold a ‘systems surgery’, where students (from all years) and staff work with guests (we had some people from Deloitte, Allianz, and Aviva last time, for instance) to suggest changes that could be made in a particular sector.

All that said, the uni isn't just a consultancy pipeline haha. We’ve also got people interested in social enterprise, entrepreneurship, state sector jobs (I’m interesting in the foreign service, say), reserach, etc., to list a few examples.

Re: student life, I love the sense of community that we have. Everyone knows everyone, and we’re in it together, studying the same degree but taking different modules/interested in different things within it. That said, I’ve made sure to find a social circle outside of LIS too. I do MUN at LSE and play in a Chinese music group at SOAS, and I know other students are involved with clubs/societies at the west London unis. There are plenty of clubs/societies at LIS, though meditation/Buddhism, climbing, football, boxing, film, and music are definitely the most popular. These were all set up by students and there are more being created all the time.

Hope that helps! Let me know if anything is unclear. Was there any club in particular you were thinking of?
Original post by Finnian Russell
I resonate with what you’re saying about quant and qual. In my second year I’m choosing particular methods modules to give me certain skills, but having to keep up both quant and qual leaves me feeling well rounded. You don't have to be perfectly balanced (e.g., 4 quant 1 qual module in the 3rd year, or visa versa) but have to keep up a bit of both.

The student who interned at Goldman Sachs worked in operations, but I don’t know what her job offer after uni is specifically.

Re: consulting, I wouldn’t recommend LIS for every career, but it seems to me very well suited to consultancy. Some things that come to mind:
· One of the assessments for a first year ‘problems’ module is a consultancy report for a policy client we worked with over the semester.
· One of LIS’s partners is KPMG and some LIS students have interned there the past 2 years. I’m not sure on who did and didn’t get an offer to come back after graduation, though.
· The CEO, Ed, consulted at McKinsey & Co before starting LIS). He’s held interview workshops and offered support/contacts to give people a leg up with their applications.
· Every few months, we hold a ‘systems surgery’, where students (from all years) and staff work with guests (we had some people from Deloitte, Allianz, and Aviva last time, for instance) to suggest changes that could be made in a particular sector.

All that said, the uni isn't just a consultancy pipeline haha. We’ve also got people interested in social enterprise, entrepreneurship, state sector jobs (I’m interesting in the foreign service, say), reserach, etc., to list a few examples.

Re: student life, I love the sense of community that we have. Everyone knows everyone, and we’re in it together, studying the same degree but taking different modules/interested in different things within it. That said, I’ve made sure to find a social circle outside of LIS too. I do MUN at LSE and play in a Chinese music group at SOAS, and I know other students are involved with clubs/societies at the west London unis. There are plenty of clubs/societies at LIS, though meditation/Buddhism, climbing, football, boxing, film, and music are definitely the most popular. These were all set up by students and there are more being created all the time.

Hope that helps! Let me know if anything is unclear. Was there any club in particular you were thinking of?
Hi
Thank you for all that - really helpful.

Are LIS students allowed to join societies/activities at other London unis? Or is it a case-by-case basis thing to see if you’d be permitted to join?

I’d probably go for something consulting-related (LSE?) , some outdoors things: hiking/sailing/skiing/riding (yeah I know, London not ideal), or running, and perhaps something creative like poetry/photography.
But I’d be open to other things too…
Hi
Thank you for all that - really helpful.

Are LIS students allowed to join societies/activities at other London unis? Or is it a case-by-case basis thing to see if you’d be permitted to join?

I’d probably go for something consulting-related (LSE?) , some outdoors things: hiking/sailing/skiing/riding (yeah I know, London not ideal), or running, and perhaps something creative like poetry/photography.
But I’d be open to other things too…
Hi,

Always glad to be of help! 🙂

re: joining other uni's societies, A lot of societies at the other London unis will have an option for 'external' memberships that you can buy from the uni's student union (SU) or Guild website. This is for students from other london unis but in some cases members of the public also join. I don't think the SUs guarantee that every society will have this option, but all of the ones I've wanted to get involved with, do.

LSE has two consulting societies that I know of, if you have a free moment, feel free to have a browse on the LSE website and have a look to see what takes your fancy! There's some interesting stuff on offer. You can browse all the SU societies at the other London unis without signing up but annoyingly, you normally need to create a guest account on each uni's SU website before you can see their prices to sign up (and hence whether the society offers external memberships).

re: hiking etc., London may not exactly be Dartmoor but the good part is are a lot of other people very keen to get out the grey to someplace green! We have a hiking society of our own at LIS, but I know that Imperial, say, has a very active hiking/mountaineering society as well.

Hope that's useful! If you like, I could send over a list of all LIS societies as they currently stand. And any others questions, feel free to ask!
Hi there
Thank you, that would be great if you could post the list of current LIS societies here. If not, no worries, I’m coming to the open day next month and can ask then.

😊
Hi there
Thank you, that would be great if you could post the list of current LIS societies here. If not, no worries, I’m coming to the open day next month and can ask then.

😊

Hey!

I've had a look around and these are all the ones I could find that seem to be active:

Boxing
Men's Football
Women's Football
Climbing
Basketball

Hiking
Meditation and Buddhism
Wine, Cheese, and Philosphy
Cultures
Debating

Yoga
D&D
Film
Music (performance, production, DJing)
Art Collective

I hope some of these take your fancy! Bear in mind this list is ever changing - the most popular society at the moment (Meditation and Buddhism) has only been going for about six months.

There's also a lot of interest in setting up a ski trip and a sailing society, but they haven't got off the ground yet. People love to start new societies in 3rd term when we have more indepedent learning with our end of year projects, so hopefully there will be even more on offer by the time you come to the open day, or when you join next year if you so choose 😛

Don't feel like you have to wait until the open day if you've got any more questions! Always happy to help 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending