Turn on thread page Beta

Muslim kid arrested for bringing home made clock to school watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fango_Jett)
    There was never a fully fledged "bomb threat" to begin with. They are required by law to report it to the police if there's even the slightest hint of suspicion of anything bomb-like (not the same thing). They are not allowed to call in the school IT teacher to confirm it or use teachers for judgement calls. They went overboard with the handling, true, but I'd take school safety over hurt feelings any day.
    School safety?, where no pupil or student was evacuated or removed from school from a potential bomb threat. That's completely irresponsible, so by that logic if a shooter came in you'd want every one to stay where they are and not use common sense until the police arrive whereby dozens could already be dead. I didn't say they had to verify it was a bomb I meant that bomb or not they should be evacuated the school from any potential threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Lol are you jelly? Ain't nobody hitting up your phone clearly
    You're right. I'm a sad, lonely homeschooled 15 year old with no friends and I am too much of a scared coward to ask out the girl I like.

Did that make you feel better?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealistZ)
    School safety?, where no pupil or student was evacuated or removed from school from a potential bomb threat. That's completely irresponsible, so by that logic if a shooter came in you'd want every one to stay where they are and not use common sense until the police arrive whereby dozens could already be dead. I didn't say they had to verify it was a bomb I meant that bomb or not they should be evacuated the school from any potential threat.
    Are you unable to read? I just told you he wasn't being charged with making a bomb in the first place. There was no bomb threat. They already ascertained it wasn't a bomb, but are required by law to verify and process anything that looks suspicious at all. In SJW land, swathes of circuitry in a suitcase might not be scary, but for the rest of us in the real world it is an issue.

They were 'considering' (key word) charging him with hoax bomb offences (something that exists in Texas penal code) because of how similar it appeared to be a suitcase bomb, but let him go once they saw it wasn't a threat. This is a non issue, and happens often the US, but they never make the headlines because who wants to rally behind a white person named Chris who had a garage opener in his locker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fango_Jett)
    Are you unable to read? I just told you he wasn't being charged with making a bomb in the first place. There was no bomb threat. They already ascertained it wasn't a bomb, but are required by law to verify and process anything that looks suspicious at all. In SJW land, swathes of circuitry in a suitcase might not be scary, but for the rest of us in the real world it is an issue.

They were 'considering' (key word) charging him with hoax bomb offences (something that exists in Texas penal code) because of how similar it appeared to be a suitcase bomb, but let him go once they saw it wasn't a threat. This is a non issue, and happens often the US, but they never make the headlines because who wants to rally behind a white person named Chris who had a garage opener in his locker.
    Does the verification process include depriving him of his rights by interrogating him without a parent or guardian or pressuring get him to sign an illegal 'confession'. If there was no bomb threat why detain him and not allow him to contact hid parents. I don't think you fully understand the full scope of incompetency that went down there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenixsilver)
    You're right. I'm a sad, lonely homeschooled 15 year old with no friends and I am too much of a scared coward to ask out the girl I like.

Did that make you feel better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why would it? I don't even know you personally

I think it's just preposterous! Imagine having made something that you are proud of and wanting to show your potential in school only to have something like that to happen to you, poor kid, he must be scarred for life with the ordeal he has been through regarding this.
    #IStandWithAhmed

ReputationRep:
    Lol are you jelly? Ain't nobody hitting up your phone clearly
    I get bee to fight my battles now

ReputationRep:
    Lol
    Name:  FB_IMG_1442504266300.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  30.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saeed97)
    Lol
    Name:  FB_IMG_1442504266300.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  30.1 KB
    lol'd

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SignFromDog)
    So you've never been to America. You don't really know much about America. But you said "Only if you're white". On its face that comment cannot stand; the President of the United States is not white.

Like anything, the issue is complex and is an interplay between geography (the status of African Americans is different in Arkansas as against New York), class, merit and a number of other things.

Making a blanket "only if you're white" statement is not just wrong, it's also insulting to the idea of having an intelligent debate about the subject
    the president of the United States isnt White, wow what a progression! stop denying white privilege.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They completely overreacted and dealt with it appallingly, but I really don't side with the people who are suggesting we should sacrifice our children's safety on the altar of political correctness.

To the untrained eye, the device could resemble a bomb (judging from the photos). The teacher had a suspicion and, in furthering their duty of care, they reported it. The overreaction was unwarranted, but how anyone can criticise the teacher for their suspicion and reporting it is beyond me.

Had it actually been a bomb, probably not made by Ahmed but given to him, there would be an outpouring of anger at officials at the school for not reporting it despite being suspicious because they didn't want to receive the sort of reaction from people in this thread.

If your child was in a classroom and the teacher saw something they suspected, rightly or wrongly, was a weapon, what would you have them do?

Ahmed was treated appallingly after the suspicion was raised, but I don't think we should criticise the school for being suspicious in the first place and reporting something that they think could be a weapon (even if unlikely).

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It's sad that the world has come to this ...
    Agreed

Well right now, the world seems to be fixating on Islam. Why are we not addressing other issues?
    Security, salience, and scapegoating (in the context of distracting the population from still more malevolent forces e.g. global capitalism x austerity x inequality). 'We' are addressing other issues, mind you, albeit often not as intensively/effectively as we could do

P.S. Although some of the members of Muslim rape gangs have now been arrested/charged, the broader socioeconomic problems posed by members of that migrant community have yet to come close to being adequately addressed, btw

Too bad nobody cares about their invention
    Don’t be hating on a bunch of industrious school kids just because some guy you disagree with used them to make a point honey, doesn’t look good; we should celebrate ingenuity and excellence, across the spectrum

(Original post by Glee)
    You are an ignorant retard.
    As opposed to a well informed retard?

ReputationRep:
    This is the clock in question. Doesn't look like a clock does it? people can spin this however they like, but given all the US school shootings the idea of a radical Muslim kid bombing a school isn't out of the question.

Name:  clk.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  7.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n29)
    Who's Errm? I think you must be suffering from that odd mindset some people have that there is an organised effort against them.
    I concur wholeheartedly with you.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is depressing on many levels. The complete failure to grasp how trivial all this is surprises as well as disconcerts, until one remembers that many contributors here are scarcely older than the poor, victimised little lamb themselves...

There is a quite stunning lack of appreciation of quite how serious the terrorism threat is. We have thousands of sympathisers of the Islamic State and Al Qaeda in the UK alone, with similar numbers in other Western Societies. They are determined to strike at our freedoms and way of life, they seek to destroy it even.

Are you, little kids that most of you seem admittedly, unaware of this? Don't you realise that events such as this are the fault of the terrorists at root? Heavy handed though this was.

When I read BS like much of this thread it feels like IS is winning.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen some racial prejudince in my time but by god queen-bee beats it all. I haven't read all the posts in this thread but this has nothing to do with being Muslim you stupid person.
    It also has nothing to do with being 14 years old, are you saying that 14 year olds can't build a bomb, if he can build that he can build a bomb.

If this had been a bomb and no one took any interest in it and ti took out all his class and teacher, there would have been an outcry about poor security and not looking after our children.

No, queen-bee has jumped on this to make a racist slur, to try and get one up on other and make herself feel important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n29)
    sado, troll, muslim?

Reported!
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    good luck
    Well unfortunately i don't think it will get you the help you need, but it's a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bengie)
    I've seen some racial prejudince in my time but by god queen-bee beats it all. I haven't read all the posts in this thread but this has nothing to do with being Muslim you stupid person.
    It also has nothing to do with being 14 years old, are you saying that 14 year olds can't build a bomb, if he can build that he can build a bomb.

If this had been a bomb and no one took any interest in it and ti took out all his class and teacher, there would have been an outcry about poor security and not looking after our children.

No, queen-bee has jumped on this to make a racist slur, to try and get one up on other and make herself feel important.
    Please learn to speak prejudice beforehand. And yes this was a racist and islamophobic incident in my opinion and its caused outrage on social media. I'm not the only one with those views.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.