The Student Room Group

Adult nursing - Staffordshire University - 2024

Good afternoon all. I would love to hear from any students on or enrolling on the course above to provide any guidance or experience you have on the course timetable and placements. I am a mature (!) student with kids, sorely struggling to get help with these type of questions. I really want to join the course but do not want to end up in such a situation where I can’t cope/juggle the course with kids and no family nearby to help.

Any help at all would be really greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Reply 1
Hi! No help unfortunately but somewhat in the same boat I’m 21 and a single mum to a 1yr old looking to apply for Children’s Nursing 🙂 I’ve booked onto open days for everywhere I’m applying in hopes that I’ll be able to speak to people about how it’ll work!
Original post by Lucy2002
Hi! No help unfortunately but somewhat in the same boat I’m 21 and a single mum to a 1yr old looking to apply for Children’s Nursing 🙂 I’ve booked onto open days for everywhere I’m applying in hopes that I’ll be able to speak to people about how it’ll work!

Are you looking at staffordshire too or local? Yes it’s quite a lot to consider as with kids it’s not as easy to do anything! Seems like you need a lot of support with childcare - but there are glimmers of hope!

I really have my hopes on it but need 99% clarity before I can take the leap!

You’re 21 was it? So have you done a levels or an access course? Sorry - I feel really old! I’m not sure what the exams/courses are nowadays before uni/after school!

Are you thinking of September 2024 too?
Reply 3
Hi,

Yes I’m 21 I’m doing my access course now!

I’m applying for 2024 Staffordshire, Keele, and Chester but I’m applying for both standard entry and for the foundation year at Keele and Chester in case I don’t quite get my grades as I really can’t go further afield. I’m somewhat in the middle of them lol

Keele could be another good one for you to look at as it’s not that far.

I am very much trying to put in place good reliable paid childcare Mon-Fri and make sure I have babysitting options at the weekend's so I only have to rely on my parents in emergencies or potentially to pick up and drop elsewhere.

This does mean though that even on placement I doubt I’ll be able to cut back my shifts as even with the childcare support and the bursary it’s a lot of money.

I think it is hard but doable, do you mind me asking how many children/what kind of ages they’ll be?
Hi,

Yes I’m 21 I’m doing my access course now!

I’m applying for 2024 Staffordshire, Keele, and Chester but I’m applying for both standard entry and for the foundation year at Keele and Chester in case I don’t quite get my grades as I really can’t go further afield. I’m somewhat in the middle of them lol

Keele could be another good one for you to look at as it’s not that far.

I am very much trying to put in place good reliable paid childcare Mon-Fri and make sure I have babysitting options at the weekend's so I only have to rely on my parents in emergencies or potentially to pick up and drop elsewhere.

This does mean though that even on placement I doubt I’ll be able to cut back my shifts as even with the childcare support and the bursary it’s a lot of money.

I think it is hard but doable, do you mind me asking how many children/what kind of ages they’ll be?

Happy new year! Yes 2 kids of 3 and 6. Think it’s why I am looking local. The childcare is a pain the bum though - the cost, as no help with it. Plus it’s round the clock. It’s a case of teamwork I think it would have to be!
Reply 5
Original post by Seeseeseeagain
Happy new year! Yes 2 kids of 3 and 6. Think it’s why I am looking local. The childcare is a pain the bum though - the cost, as no help with it. Plus it’s round the clock. It’s a case of teamwork I think it would have to be!

Happy New year! At least your 6yr old will be at school - are you on your own or can your partner help.

I think applying local with children is definitely sensible.

I'll doubke check but i think theres extra help from the bursery for childcare and theres help with childcare costs through sfe. I will try and find the link for you once I've put LO to bed xx

Happy New year! At least your 6yr old will be at school - are you on your own or can your partner help.

I'll doubke check but i think theres extra help from the bursery for childcare and theres help with childcare costs through sfe. I will try and find the link for you once I've put LO to bed xx

Thank you sweet. I have read what I think is right but may be wrong - I see the nhs bursary for all students (for my course would be 5k), the 2k childcare one and the maintenance grant for me at 5/6k. I know it is a lot of money but childcare is a lot too and I have it for the next just under two years at quite a rate. I have my husband at home - but he works from the office a couple of days a week, I have no family/friends nearby, and I can’t help but see the obstacles as I want to iron out all I can.

Oh it is due to my husbands wage (over 27/28k) that I’m not entitled to any childcare help. Sounds like a lot but mortgage and living is getting higher and higher and we are used to two wages (well, one and a half). I know low income entitlement is 80% of all childcare costs but I can’t get this. The 2k NHS childcare payment doesn’t touch the sides!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending