The Student Room Group

Where to feel at home?

So at the moment I'm living partly in my Mother's house (my home I grew up in most of my life) and partly in my own house. I don't have a partner or kids so just me when I'm there. The thing is that I feel more at home in my Mother's house that I grew up in and less so in my house. Thing is my Mother's house is much bigger and in a wealthy area while my house is smaller in a less wealthy area (it's a nice enough area but a bit of a noticeable change). Thing is when my Mother passes on (assuming I don't first) then because I have two siblings (they have kids also) then I would have to sell my Mother's house and proceeds get split between the three of us. No way at the moment I could afford to buy them out as my Mother's house is pretty expensive - there's bigger & more expensive but the way the UK property market is means it's worth a lot.

For me that kind of sucks as most of my memories are tied up in the place. Sure I could get a bigger house but it wouldn't have any memories associated with it like the house I grew up in. My present house is ok but it's not really felt like home even though Ice had it a few years now. It's not to say I couldn't get by I guess but I don't think I would ever feel as good there or perhaps anywhere else as my Mother's house (family home).

I guess on the one hand I should be grateful to have a roof over my head particularly how housing is in the UK. On the other hand though when my Mother passes in not only will I deeply miss her a lot but the house I really feel as home goes also. So feel like I'm up against the clock at the moment trying to piece together any sort of life for me but I'm not sure whatever I do if I can ever feel as good as I do as when I'm at my Mother/Family home. So kind of just throwing this out there for any thoughts on it really.
Reply 1
When you feel settled you have an environment created to come home to where you feel relaxed and happy - that will be your 'home' If you don't feel that right now it can always happen down the line, and you can always have the option to move to where ever you want to, even worldwide. You will choose where you feel your heart lives.

Seeing your family home sold is heart wrenching but like closing a chapter in a book. Mentally we have to let go.

Sadly when parents die, the links to their care and support are severed also. It is the end of an era. It is even stranger to see the physical space and home pass on to someone else, who will then pick up their interpretation of life within it.
Whilst you leave the physical living space and memories behind, carry the good memories forward with you. Use a few chosen keepsakes or items to maintain your closest memories. Hold onto those good memories as long as you can.
Original post by Anonymous
So at the moment I'm living partly in my Mother's house (my home I grew up in most of my life) and partly in my own house. I don't have a partner or kids so just me when I'm there. The thing is that I feel more at home in my Mother's house that I grew up in and less so in my house. Thing is my Mother's house is much bigger and in a wealthy area while my house is smaller in a less wealthy area (it's a nice enough area but a bit of a noticeable change). Thing is when my Mother passes on (assuming I don't first) then because I have two siblings (they have kids also) then I would have to sell my Mother's house and proceeds get split between the three of us. No way at the moment I could afford to buy them out as my Mother's house is pretty expensive - there's bigger & more expensive but the way the UK property market is means it's worth a lot.

For me that kind of sucks as most of my memories are tied up in the place. Sure I could get a bigger house but it wouldn't have any memories associated with it like the house I grew up in. My present house is ok but it's not really felt like home even though Ice had it a few years now. It's not to say I couldn't get by I guess but I don't think I would ever feel as good there or perhaps anywhere else as my Mother's house (family home).

I guess on the one hand I should be grateful to have a roof over my head particularly how housing is in the UK. On the other hand though when my Mother passes in not only will I deeply miss her a lot but the house I really feel as home goes also. So feel like I'm up against the clock at the moment trying to piece together any sort of life for me but I'm not sure whatever I do if I can ever feel as good as I do as when I'm at my Mother/Family home. So kind of just throwing this out there for any thoughts on it really.

Does you mother own the home outright (i.e. there is no outstanding mortgage to be paid?). If so, then you might want to take some financial advice and see if a Lifetime Mortgage (also known as Equity Release) is appropriate. I'm no expert, but essentially the way these work is that you borrow money against the value of the house, but they money doesn't need to be repaid until you die, at which point is repaid using the value of the house at that time (from your estate).

So, suppose your mother dies and leaves you a house worth £900,000. In theory you should sell that house and give £300,000 to each of your siblings, keeping £300,000 for yourself. However, if instead you borrowed £600,000 against the value of the property (which you'd retain ownership of until your death), you could give your siblings £300,000 each and stay living in the property. Once you die, the company from which you borrowed the money are paid back their £600,000 (plus interest) using the value of the house at that time (which should be at least £900,000).

Does that sounds like something worth finding out about? If so, find a financial advisor and have a conversation about whether it makes sense for you or not. There's probably inheritance tax and other things to consider - which is why you should take advice. But it seems worth looking into, if you are so attached to that house.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Does you mother own the home outright (i.e. there is no outstanding mortgage to be paid?). If so, then you might want to take some financial advice and see if a Lifetime Mortgage (also known as Equity Release) is appropriate. I'm no expert, but essentially the way these work is that you borrow money against the value of the house, but they money doesn't need to be repaid until you die, at which point is repaid using the value of the house at that time (from your estate).

So, suppose your mother dies and leaves you a house worth £900,000. In theory you should sell that house and give £300,000 to each of your siblings, keeping £300,000 for yourself. However, if instead you borrowed £600,000 against the value of the property (which you'd retain ownership of until your death), you could give your siblings £300,000 each and stay living in the property. Once you die, the company from which you borrowed the money are paid back their £600,000 (plus interest) using the value of the house at that time (which should be at least £900,000).

Does that sounds like something worth finding out about? If so, find a financial advisor and have a conversation about whether it makes sense for you or not. There's probably inheritance tax and other things to consider - which is why you should take advice. But it seems worth looking into, if you are so attached to that house.

Thank you very much for this :h: that sounds like definitely something to look into. I never really thought if that, I just thought the £200-300k I would have to pay each sibling (£400-600k in total) at present (probably) would be way more than I could ever raise unless I got real lucky. I kind of thought they were just for the elderly who already owned the home but possibly you are right and it could work here. Like you say worth talking to a financial advisor in any event as they will know more and about stuff like this I will likely have never considered or thought about. Nice to know their might be options whether or not it becomes possible in the end or not. Many thanks for your help and letting me know about this it's greatly appreciated believe me :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Muttly
When you feel settled you have an environment created to come home to where you feel relaxed and happy - that will be your 'home' If you don't feel that right now it can always happen down the line, and you can always have the option to move to where ever you want to, even worldwide. You will choose where you feel your heart lives.

Seeing your family home sold is heart wrenching but like closing a chapter in a book. Mentally we have to let go.

Sadly when parents die, the links to their care and support are severed also. It is the end of an era. It is even stranger to see the physical space and home pass on to someone else, who will then pick up their interpretation of life within it.
Whilst you leave the physical living space and memories behind, carry the good memories forward with you. Use a few chosen keepsakes or items to maintain your closest memories. Hold onto those good memories as long as you can.

Your right, if it came down to it it's the best that can be made of the situation if I couldn't hold onto the house. There's many items I could retain for memories and that's a good idea. Not sure how I would feel after with those memories just only know then I guess. At the moment my Mother seems on good health but she's in her 70s so never really know I guess. Doesn't help that she brings up that she may not have much longer fairly often (though not based on anything I doubt think) so I think 'that's great where does that leave me?' I'm kind of aware that things can go that way so it doesn't really help her reminding me of such. I have a couple of siblings which is something at least but only can see them every so often. Partly if I can try and make more of a life for myself if possible otherwise just work, hobbies, Netflix, and anything else to keep my mind busy I guess.

If I can manage to keep the house as above reply I probably will. It's kind of a strange one as in part I can be a bit footloose and like exploring other areas, but those areas often lack familiarity, a kind of sense of belonging in a way, some nice enough to exist in but not where I've grown with. In some ways my Mother's house or area may not be my ideal but I guess the familiarity, growing up their and memories kind of means I am probably most content being there.

To some extent part of the problem may be that my life hasn't really progressed that much in terms of getting into a relationship, etc so I'm going to give it another go on that. I can get something going along those lines I think it will be good as otherwise it's just me buggering on with stuff, which is ok but it's not so much if a life but then life ends up however it does I guess. If I do have to sell it will be hard so it's not really something I am looking forward too but if it comes then it comes I guess and I'll have to deal with it as best as like you say. Potentially my Mother might have a decade or more to go so hopefully nothing imminent as it not something I like to contemplate. Anyway thank you for your help also, it's much appreciated too :smile:
Original post by DataVenia

What a great solution. Love it wIn win for everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending