The Student Room Group

Moscow concert hall shooting: at least 40 people dead and 100 wounded

Reply 1
Wonder if it's linked to:

"Three Ukraine-based Russian paramilitary groups say they have crossed into Russia and are now fighting government troops there.

The Freedom of Russia Legion (FRL) and Siberian Battalion (SB) posted videos purportedly showing their fighters in Russia's Belgorod and Kursk regions."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68541911
(edited 1 month ago)
Isis has claimed responsibility but they would.
Whoever gets the blame for this horrific act, it is worth remembering Ukraine has nothing to gain from an event that could further escalate the war.
surprised at how little attention this is getting
Original post by sciencegcsesss

It’s getting lots of attention on Reddit

condolences to the families, this was a brutal terror attack claimed by isis which is likely to be true . however they have a history of claiming attacks that they didn't do. we will see what the russain gov has to say about this.
Original post by sciencegcsesss

It’s the main news story on every Western news website I’ve looked at. How much attention should it be getting?
Original post by Gazpacho.
It’s the main news story on every Western news website I’ve looked at. How much attention should it be getting?

They might mean on TSR
I think the reason it’s not getting much attention here is that little is known about the perpetrators yet.
There's limited things to really say about it for now tbh, it's a bit too far away.
Original post by StriderHort
There's limited things to really say about it for now tbh, it's a bit too far away.

Yeah, it’s happened. It’s miles away, we don’t know for sure who did it or wh
Now that ISIS have released footage recorded by the attackers, it seems reasonable to assume the are the perpetrators.
I have seen some pretty vile people online who somehow believe the victims deserved to die on account of them being Russian and therefore they made the supremely logical mental leap that somehow Russian civilians are responsible for the actions of their government concerning Ukraine and should be punished accordingly.

ISIS claimed responsibility, yet I have a hunch they've claimed responsibility for many attacks over the years that they didn't originally do in order to make themselves look more powerful to Western audiences. Kinda like the kid who steals your answers to the homework and writes it off as their own to make themselves look smarter. As usual the knee-jerk reaction of the Russian government was to blame Ukraine for facilitating the attack. Only time will tell if this statement has even a morsel of truth to it.

Russia vetoed the draft resolution for a US-endorsed Gaza ceasefire the same day. Wouldn't surprise me if the militants in question may have partially carried out the attacks in revenge for the Russian government's veto, and Russia's continued offensive against ISIS in Kurdish areas. Perhaps Russia may now learn, alongside a spate of localised partisan activites in the Kursk/Belgorod areas, that you can't wage wars on foreign soil and not expect the conflict to reach inside your own borders at some point.

Honestly it seems that political/social opinions are becoming more and more polarised to the extent we now have a pretty loud minority of people endorsing some form of collective punishment to Russian civilians for the actions of a leader that they didn't democratically elect. The majority of Russians are de-politicised - they didn't choose for the invasion of Ukraine to happen.
Original post by frauschlange
I have seen some pretty vile people online who somehow believe the victims deserved to die on account of them being Russian and therefore they made the supremely logical mental leap that somehow Russian civilians are responsible for the actions of their government concerning Ukraine and should be punished accordingly.
ISIS claimed responsibility, yet I have a hunch they've claimed responsibility for many attacks over the years that they didn't originally do in order to make themselves look more powerful to Western audiences. Kinda like the kid who steals your answers to the homework and writes it off as their own to make themselves look smarter. As usual the knee-jerk reaction of the Russian government was to blame Ukraine for facilitating the attack. Only time will tell if this statement has even a morsel of truth to it.
Russia vetoed the draft resolution for a US-endorsed Gaza ceasefire the same day. Wouldn't surprise me if the militants in question may have partially carried out the attacks in revenge for the Russian government's veto, and Russia's continued offensive against ISIS in Kurdish areas. Perhaps Russia may now learn, alongside a spate of localised partisan activites in the Kursk/Belgorod areas, that you can't wage wars on foreign soil and not expect the conflict to reach inside your own borders at some point.
Honestly it seems that political/social opinions are becoming more and more polarised to the extent we now have a pretty loud minority of people endorsing some form of collective punishment to Russian civilians for the actions of a leader that they didn't democratically elect. The majority of Russians are de-politicised - they didn't choose for the invasion of Ukraine to happen.

some key points.

isis have released footage which makes it clear that its basically them.

people on social media for the most part are weird if they summarise events as that. they don't need to be taken seriously. it is true they do lie about some attacks, in the point you mention.

the us ceasfire, was wishy washy and didn't call for one. it recommended one, it was a un security council vote, but was non-binding which is what a unga vote is, which are some criticisms of it. the only reason it would In regards to that ( the vote ) was because hamas and isis, both terror organisations are diametrically opposed ie enemies. otherwise i see no reason for the attack with the vote. in this context, we seen a huge radicalisation in the arab world, with regards to the houthis and many local arabs thinking its injustice ( the Israeli Palestine situation), many would prefer a terror attack by them on the USA and Israel heck they may even support it. the second half is more so true as with regards to the kurds, Russia also played a huge role in their downfall in terms of land in the 2010s, when they intervened in the syrian civil war. apart from that, i lean more towards the kurds point you make .

yeah it is, I've seen people call the terror attack a CIA one, mainly because the USA warned of one, i think according to a friend. but the situation in russia is deteriorating, i think there was an attack beforehand of a separate occasion which basically put things out of context.
Turns out the death toll is actually 137 making it the deadliest terror attack in European history. Thankfully all the perpetrators have been arrested, and as this is in Russia they were beaten the F out of by the police while in custardy
Reply 16
Original post by frauschlange

Well, tbf after what Ukraine has suffered I doubt there's much sympathy for Russian civilians in that part of the world. However, the facts are that such an attack by Ukraine would do it no favours in the war. Also Putin is massively anti-muslim like he is anti-manythings! So very likely for terrorism to come home to him from ethnic groups within wider Russia.
Original post by mike44
Well, tbf after what Ukraine has suffered I doubt there's much sympathy for Russian civilians in that part of the world. However, the facts are that such an attack by Ukraine would do it no favours in the war. Also Putin is massively anti-muslim like he is anti-manythings! So very likely for terrorism to come home to him from ethnic groups within wider Russia.

I dunno, I don't blame the average Russian for Putin/Ukraine any more than I'm willing to take blame for Westminster making wreckage and enemies all over the middle east, and I'm well aware I have a lot more freedom to trash talk my rulers than the average Russian does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending