The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It has to be something like that.
* Dain Bramaged
woah! someone jus told me that an admissions ukcat guy (who works for pearson) told them that the scores aren't the amount you get right but its how many in a row you get right. do ya think thats possible?

really?
lotusx
tbh i don't remember the people at manchester saying that the ukcat score is a critical part of the process, their main emphasis is on the PS and interview. if you're really worried, call them up. or you could look at places like leicester [which definitely don't put so much emphasis on ukcat] or birmingham. besides, your top choices are ICL and UCL, right? so you could focus on doing really really well in the bmat to get into those...
i guessed most of the q's for QR as well and was sitting with my head in my hands going OH CRAP for most of the test, but i managed to get 650.
i really wouldn't worry about it, your score is fine! like other people said, you worked for it and you shouldn't be upset about it :hugs:
I've ruled out ICL so I'm left with UCL, King's, and Manchester. I'm not too happy applying to King's with my UKCAT when they are using it significantly to select candidates for first interviews. I don't know why I'm so upset - I always said I'd be happy with anything above 600 - and I managed to do that but I'm not satisfied. I'm never satisfied. I feel I won't be satisfied on Thursday either. I guess that's me in a nutshell - hard to please.

Do medical schools use the average score or individual sub-test scores?
Reply 623
Medicine Man
THe people on here that get like 800 averages are just freakingly smart

Says the guy with 10A* at GCSE! haha :p:
i always thought that a 600 avg. would be good enough?!?!?!

but people on here are getting above that into the 700s ... can anyone explain to me how the marking system works out of each subtest? its confusing me... :frown:
scary hair how come you found the timing reasonable and did all the questions except a few?
did you practice with a time limit? and how should i prepare myself to get a score like yours-basically how did much did you prepare ? did you feel confident before the exam that you had done everything you could?
I got 572.5 average but there was a processing error in my test where half of the question box on 15-20 Abstract Reasoning questions were cut off (I think it was 15-20). They are filing a report of the incident on my UKCAT profile as I CBA to do it again as I went through hell.

I think I got 620, 630, 540, 500
MaybeMedic
scary hair how come you found the timing reasonable and did all the questions except a few?
did you practice with a time limit? and how should i prepare myself to get a score like yours-basically how did much did you prepare ? did you feel confident before the exam that you had done everything you could?

She's obviously just good at these kind of tests. Practicing over and over again slowly helps but the main reason you should do it is to get a feel for the test. I didn't practice that much and didn't do bad as well as having a computer error with my test causing me to do much worse!

EVERYONE does better than they think in the test - the practice questions are a lot harder and your score is worked out in such a way that is normally better than anticipated. Do some practice, get a feel for the questions and try your best. In the test, answer as many as you can in your own time and leave enough time to guess the rest logically if you can.
well done to jiffy, scaryhair, lotusx and mena. i just got back from work exp and i'm pleased to see that everyone has done so well.

@ mena, dude your score is good...it's over now, think of poor me who still hasn't done it yet and still worrying about it.
wasn't UCL/ICL you're two main priority uni's anyway? just try and own the BMAT (which I value higher than the UKCAT as i'm applying to 2/3 BMAT unis), and you should achieve an offer from one/both of them...easier said than done but at least it's something you can revise for unlike the UKCAT...
Medicine Man
really?

so you think thats possible? so that means sitting and gettin 20 in a row and stopping could get you a rela high score.
Reply 630
!MEna
I've ruled out ICL so I'm left with UCL, King's, and Manchester. I'm not too happy applying to King's with my UKCAT when they are using it significantly to select candidates for first interviews. I don't know why I'm so upset - I always said I'd be happy with anything above 600 - and I managed to do that but I'm not satisfied. I'm never satisfied. I feel I won't be satisfied on Thursday either. I guess that's me in a nutshell - hard to please.

why do you think you won't be happy on thursday? that might just be pre-results nerves, don't worry about it! & re your ukcat score, i think you need some time, because you'll be able to look at it in perspective. it could be much worse, you know. seriously, you'll be fine.
out of interest, why did you rule out ICL?
Reply 631
!MEna

yeah, you're above 600, and that's above average. so you're in the top 50%, in theory. so be satisfied! everyone is always going to think they could have possibly squeezed a few more marks on something like this, but at the end of the day, you did your best, and you did well. and the same with results! it's good you set yourself high targets but remember to tell yourself you've done well when you have done!!
lotusx
finally, i've done! scores were:

VR: 730
QR: 650
AR: 680
DA: 710
Overall average was 693. i'm happy with that. do people think that places like manchester & newcastle would be?
also, i found out that i didn't need earplugs because they provided huge block-out-all-noise headphones. :biggrin:

Well done, those are excellent scores, and consistent too! Congrats!
Reply 633
* Dain Bramaged
those talking about headphones/earplugs...did you bring your own?
or do they always give you a pair?

i brought my own (they weren't great at blocking background noise), but they provided some HUGE headphones there that blocked everything. It wasnt that disturbing where I took it though - no clicking of driving test theories, its all touch screen so less annoying :smile:
Reply 634
scaryhair
Well done, those are excellent scores, and consistent too! Congrats!

thanks! yours are so good, esp. your QR! well done on that!
!MEna
I'm not happy.

VR - 540
QR - 690
AR - 560
DA - 630

Total - 2420
Average - 605

Hey, that's not that bad, (in fact it's great) it's in the 600's. It might not be as high as some people's on here, but it is still an amazing score and more than enough for medicine. Remember the UKCAT is one tiny piece of your application, so even if you didn't do as well as you hoped, it's not the end of the world :hugs:
Well done, you did really well, and you should be proud :yep:
Reply 636
scaryhair
Hey, that's not that bad, (in fact it's great) it's in the 600's. It might not be as high as some people's on here, but it is still an amazing score and more than enough for medicine. Remember the UKCAT is one tiny piece of your application, so even if you didn't do as well as you hoped, it's not the end of the world :hugs:
Well done, you did really well, and you should be proud :yep:

coming from a UKCAT partial genious!, that test was soo created for people like you.
Reply 637
Original post by {&#1581
Well done to scaryhair and jiffy. Those are some excellent scores.

jenifaar
well done you! you did fantastically :smile: nice one!well done scaryhair too! that's also a fab score. im glad it went well for you :biggrin: and also, you have the exact same non cognitive analysis comment as me!

Medicine Man
well done both of you!
Brilliant scores! ANy university will want you in their universities! Brilliant scores!

Isometrix
well done to jiffy, scaryhair, lotusx and mena. i just got back from work exp and i'm pleased to see that everyone has done so well.

Thanks! I hope the UKCAT went well for you as well (and everyone else!). Its a huge relief to get them all out of the way, now all I have left is my driving theory at the same place, on the same day next week :s-smilie:
Reply 638
Well done to everyone. Amazing scores.

It's getting me more nervous now for my one which is next week wednesday :afraid:
MaybeMedic

I honestly don't know, I can only pin it down to adrenaline! I did timed preparation yes, and I think it's a good idea when preparing to perhaps cut down the given time from say 22 minutes to 15, to really put you under time pressure.
I just tried to work quickly and efficiently, and the ones I guessed were ones that looked very complicated and looked as if they'd take up too much of my time.
I didn't feel confident at all about this. But by last night, I just told myself "It's an aptitude test, you have done lots of preparation, and now you can do nothing else. Just try your best and hope to god it's good enough". I kept calm during all of the exam (which was a miracle) and just got on with it really. There's no secret ingredient :p:

Danielisew
She's obviously just good at these kind of tests. Practicing over and over again slowly helps but the main reason you should do it is to get a feel for the test. I didn't practice that much and didn't do bad as well as having a computer error with my test causing me to do much worse!

No, she isn't. She was expecting an average in the 400's or low 500's actually. She just kept her calm and did her best. That's all anybody can do really.
Please don't make presumptions about people's ability. I was absolutely terrified about this test and preparing for it, and constantly getting bad marks each time was really quite upsetting, as is the fact that you just assume I am good at something.

Latest

Trending

Trending