The Student Room Group

Dentistry low UCAT

I got 2500 and sjt band 1 for the UCAT. Where should I apply? Will i be considered anywhere? My predicted grades are AAA and I have work experience.
Reply 1
Look into Cardiff, QUB, (if you have high GCSES) then Dundee, Plymouth and maybe risk Leeds as this is the first time they are using UCAT and those with higher scores most likely won’t apply as they have a better chance at Bristol etc
Reply 2
Original post by berryverse
Look into Cardiff, QUB, (if you have high GCSES) then Dundee, Plymouth and maybe risk Leeds as this is the first time they are using UCAT and those with higher scores most likely won’t apply as they have a better chance at Bristol etc

Thank you! Im thinking of trying leeds, then dundee, cardiff and liverpool. Does plymouth have a cut off score?
Original post by jas.bateman
Thank you! Im thinking of trying leeds, then dundee, cardiff and liverpool. Does plymouth have a cut off score?

Hey dont put cardiff! They use a scoring system that is not that good. So they score the gcses as 28 points and then they use the attached doc for the ucat and SJT. Their cutoff last year was 35 or 36.
I got 2520 band 2 and I got 33 points. You get 34 I think if you get 28 points for your gcses. I will not apply either.
Maybe consider belfast as your fourth option as plymouth has a cutoff of 2650 I think.
Reply 4
Original post by Greekdentist
Hey dont put cardiff! They use a scoring system that is not that good. So they score the gcses as 28 points and then they use the attached doc for the ucat and SJT. Their cutoff last year was 35 or 36.
I got 2520 band 2 and I got 33 points. You get 34 I think if you get 28 points for your gcses. I will not apply either.
Maybe consider belfast as your fourth option as plymouth has a cutoff of 2650 I think.

For my gcses I have 999998877, do you think that would give me enough points for cardiff?
For my gcses I have 999998877, do you think that would give me enough points for cardiff?

You will get 28 points (max) for gcses and then you will get 2 points for the ucat and 4 (max) for sjt. So overall you will get 34 points. Cutoff was 35-36 last year. It might go up this year.
Reply 6
You will get 28 points (max) for gcses and then you will get 2 points for the ucat and 4 (max) for sjt. So overall you will get 34 points. Cutoff was 35-36 last year. It might go up this year.

Ah ok, I think they use a scoring system for Queens Belfast too so I’ll have to look into it. Thank you for your help!
Ah ok, I think they use a scoring system for Queens Belfast too so I’ll have to look into it. Thank you for your help!

No worries happy to help. :smile:
Yeah belfast seems a better option. I applied to cardiff before and got rejected with 33 points.
Reply 8

Plymouth’s lowest UCAT interviewed was 2650 last year according to the UKCAT people. Although they claim their cut off is around 2300. You can check out UCAT cut offs etc on the UKCAT people website!
Reply 9

Hi where did you find out the scoring system for Dentistry at Cardiff?
Original post by berryverse
Hi where did you find out the scoring system for Dentistry at Cardiff?

Someone on the medology (a website helping for dentistry applications) shared it. :smile:
I tried to ask cardiff in a foi but they didnt reply yet.
Someone on the medology (a website helping for dentistry applications) shared it. :smile:

Can you please tell me how GCSES are scored I’d like to work out my total score!
Hi, is there a link to that document?
Original post by basicbrowngirl
Hi, is there a link to that document?

I dont have a link unfortunately but i have a screenshot of the scoring doc.
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi! I've applied to QUB as my UCAT is quite low, but I was thinking of switching it for Leeds? I don't know if it's worth the risk though...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by ManUtd_21
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have you checked the Leeds thread? The general consensus is that its very risky as the course is fairly popular (due to reserch opportunities and facilities) and the scoring is unkown...
Original post by toothysmile
Have you checked the Leeds thread? The general consensus is that its very risky as the course is fairly popular (due to reserch opportunities and facilities) and the scoring is unkown...

Yes, I've just checked it now. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest