The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AMG2013
Cool, thanks Jess

no problem, where are you planning to apply?
Original post by xJessScott
no problem, where are you planning to apply?

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and St Andrews. You?
Original post by AMG2013
Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and St Andrews. You?

Newcastle both a100 and a101, Warwick and Leicester i think :smile:
Newcastle both a100 and a101, Warwick and Leicester i think :smile:

Im desperate to get in to Glasgow but their UKCAT requirement is huge! But I want to stay in Scotland. My friend from the year above me is starting at Warwick this year!
Original post by AMG2013
Im desperate to get in to Glasgow but their UKCAT requirement is huge! But I want to stay in Scotland. My friend from the year above me is starting at Warwick this year!

all the unis im applying too have high ukcat newcastle this year was 700 and 743 and warwicks will be in 700s no doubt. what did your friend get? they havent released their cut off for 2017 yet. i applied for 2017 entry but my ukcat wasnt high enough i got 643 average
all the unis im applying too have high ukcat newcastle this year was 700 and 743 and warwicks will be in 700s no doubt. what did your friend get? they havent released their cut off for 2017 yet. i applied for 2017 entry but my ukcat wasnt high enough i got 643 average

aw I feel your pain, the last time I sat it I got about 650 odd. my friend for 740 odd but she had a tutor etc so iv basically thrown a bunch of money at the problem in the hope I do better this time!
Can I ask both of you about your technique is for this year after doing the UKCAT last year? Are you concentrating on the parts that you did worse on last year? I only got 600 on verbal reasoning, so I'm trying to do as much practice on that as I can because I know Warwick uses that section to decide on interviews etc. I got 710 on abstract reasoning and 720 on quantative reasoning. So I'm hoping if I just concentrate on the new section and verbal, and just do a bit of the other two (situational judgement I'll just spend a day on) and hope it wasn't a fluke last year. Uhh! I'm already thinking I haven't got enough time to brush up on it all. Are you two just concentrating on your hardest sections, or just practicing all of it again equally?
Reply 7867
Original post by Joanne86
Can I ask both of you about your technique is for this year after doing the UKCAT last year? Are you concentrating on the parts that you did worse on last year? I only got 600 on verbal reasoning, so I'm trying to do as much practice on that as I can because I know Warwick uses that section to decide on interviews etc. I got 710 on abstract reasoning and 720 on quantative reasoning. So I'm hoping if I just concentrate on the new section and verbal, and just do a bit of the other two (situational judgement I'll just spend a day on) and hope it wasn't a fluke last year. Uhh! I'm already thinking I haven't got enough time to brush up on it all. Are you two just concentrating on your hardest sections, or just practicing all of it again equally?

Hi there :-) For what it's worth, I think focusing most on your weaknesses is definitely a sensible thing to do (though obviously don't completely neglect the other sections!). Many students find VR to be the hardest section, especially in terms of the time pressure.

Is there a particular aspect of VR that you struggle with? Do you have a specific technique for tackling VR questions because in our experience of helping students, a consistent and time-efficient algorithmic technique can drastically improve your score. Feel free to ask on here for specific VR advice or checkout our website UKCAT Ninja for lots of practice questions and technique tips :-)

https://ukcat.ninja/

Best,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

hi well firstly i concentrated on the new section but i quite like it and seem to do quite well. in my actual ukcat last year i got 610 VR, 610 AR and 710 QR, during practice AR was always my best so i didnt concentrate on that enough really so will do more of that, and i need to keep practising my timing for QR, pie charts came up last year and i hadnt seen one question in books or medify so i flunked on those questions but an extra 4 right answers could have went a different way but nevermind ahah, just trying to be all rounded i think. and just practice and practice. but overall i would say equally.
where are you applying and where did you apply last year?
Original post by 6med
Hi there :-) For what it's worth, I think focusing most on your weaknesses is definitely a sensible thing to do (though obviously don't completely neglect the other sections!). Many students find VR to be the hardest section, especially in terms of the time pressure.

Is there a particular aspect of VR that you struggle with? Do you have a specific technique for tackling VR questions because in our experience of helping students, a consistent and time-efficient algorithmic technique can drastically improve your score. Feel free to ask on here for specific VR advice or checkout our website UKCAT Ninja for lots of practice questions and technique tips :-)

Best,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

My VR technique is pretty bad! Last year I started off quickly skimming the passage before looking at the questions. Now I've realised that's really not the best way to approach it! Now I read the question and find a key word from the answers. Then I work through them one by one. Even then I struggle. I also keep getting confused and misreading the questions and finding something that's true instead of false etc, but that's just in my panic I think. I'm fine with the true and false ones, it's the ones that have sentences for each possible answer, it just takes me forever!
hi well firstly i concentrated on the new section but i quite like it and seem to do quite well. in my actual ukcat last year i got 610 VR, 610 AR and 710 QR, during practice AR was always my best so i didnt concentrate on that enough really so will do more of that, and i need to keep practising my timing for QR, pie charts came up last year and i hadnt seen one question in books or medify so i flunked on those questions but an extra 4 right answers could have went a different way but nevermind ahah, just trying to be all rounded i think. and just practice and practice. but overall i would say equally.
where are you applying and where did you apply last year?

I'm definitely practicing a lot! I think I'll start on the other two sections next week, I'm worried that QR might let me down this year, I'm sure it was just good luck last year because my maths isn't that great! I applied to Warwick (where I really want to go), Newcastle and because of various reasons I could only apply to queen Mary's and barts, so I did even though I didn't have a chance. This year I'm not sure. Definitely Warwick, but not Newcastle. I'll have to have to wait and see what my ukcat score is and then I'll have a look where's most likely to accept me. Where are you applying? Are you just going for ukcat unis?
I'm definitely practicing a lot! I think I'll start on the other two sections next week, I'm worried that QR might let me down this year, I'm sure it was just good luck last year because my maths isn't that great! I applied to Warwick (where I really want to go), Newcastle and because of various reasons I could only apply to queen Mary's and barts, so I did even though I didn't have a chance. This year I'm not sure. Definitely Warwick, but not Newcastle. I'll have to have to wait and see what my ukcat score is and then I'll have a look where's most likely to accept me. Where are you applying? Are you just going for ukcat unis?

i applied to the exact same places last year too. i really really want newcastle i live near by and my partner and i own a house so i dont want to move. im applying for newcastle a100 and a101, warwick and leicester i think and yes i dont think i have time to do both the UKCAT and gamsat to a high standard
Reply 7872
My VR technique is pretty bad! Last year I started off quickly skimming the passage before looking at the questions. Now I've realised that's really not the best way to approach it! Now I read the question and find a key word from the answers. Then I work through them one by one. Even then I struggle. I also keep getting confused and misreading the questions and finding something that's true instead of false etc, but that's just in my panic I think. I'm fine with the true and false ones, it's the ones that have sentences for each possible answer, it just takes me forever!

Ok well don't worry, there is always room to improve :-)

You are absolutely right, never start by reading the passage, read the question and look for keywords. Try to be selective in picking 'high yield' key words too, by that I mean words that are highly specific to the question and/or are visually distinctive (e.g. capital letters, numbers). In addition, when you are scanning the text for your keyword(s), be sure to look out for synonyms and antonyms as well as the word itself as this could lead to your answer.

I totally understand how easy it is to get confused with the longer SBA (single best answer) type questions. A tip we tell our students is to create a simple chart on the white board provided and to keep track of what a question is asking you to do. I.e. is it asking you to find a statement that is true, false or can't tell? It's a difficult technique for me to explain on here without a visual guide, it should be explained better on our website UKCAT Ninja.

In addition, you need to remember that the difficulty of questions varies a lot for VR and that the questions are randomly distributed. It would be a disaster if you wasted loads of time on really hard questions at the beginning and didn't have time to nab the easy marks at the end. Therefore we encourage people to triage every question. Size up each question you approach and if you can see that it will take you more than the ~30s that should be allotted to a VR question then guess, flag and skip it so that you artificially engineer the test, securing the easy marks first and shifting the harder ones to the end.

Hope that helps as some general VR tips! Feel free to ask if anything is unclear and check out our online question bank which has lots of questions and explanations :-)

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Hi all - I'm doing the UKCAT for the first time at the beginning of July. Doing about 2 hours a day at the moment (I work full time so I have to do it before and after work). I'm using Medify and the ISC1250Q's book.

One bit I'm particularly worried about is the QR - I can comfortably get 100% when it's untimed in all the questions I've tried, but when I add in the timing I'll be lucky to get 50% of them - throw in some really hard questions and i'll be even lower! Has anyone got any helpful tips about strategy, or is it just practice practice practice?
Original post by MTL000
Hi all - I'm doing the UKCAT for the first time at the beginning of July. Doing about 2 hours a day at the moment (I work full time so I have to do it before and after work). I'm using Medify and the ISC1250Q's book.

One bit I'm particularly worried about is the QR - I can comfortably get 100% when it's untimed in all the questions I've tried, but when I add in the timing I'll be lucky to get 50% of them - throw in some really hard questions and i'll be even lower! Has anyone got any helpful tips about strategy, or is it just practice practice practice?

just practice, its the hardest section for timing in the ukcat, i started by just trying to do it as fast as i can and time myself before proper timed because it gets stressful. things like a question with a table theres often paragraph of text at the top which often doesnt need to be read just a quick skim read to see if theres any information. i then look at the information quickly sort of the headings of the tables or axis on a graph so when you read the question i know where to look. ive used bbc bitesize in the past to make sure i can do the maths quickly like percentage change, pie charts etc so when you read the question you know how to do it in a few seconds rather than trying to work out what to do
Original post by MTL000

I agree with what JessScott, practice first until your confident before you do it timed. Make sure you know how to do simple equations, I used BBC bitesize as well for things that I haven't done for ages. I find the hardest thing with QR is the fact that they write things in a way that sounds confusing but it's actually easy. Also changing things like measurement in the answer. So you'll work it out in meters, but they ask for it in centimetres. Definitely practice and don't be afraid to mark any answer and flag it and move on if you don't think you'll manage it in a reasonable amount of time. I think the first question that I got in the actual exam I couldn't do and I felt a bit panicked because i hasn't even started properly I was running out of time towards the end, but my last couple of questions were so easy I didn't even need to calculate anything. If I spent too long at the beginning I wouldn't have got the easier marks. So don't be put off if you can't do some questions :smile:
Reply 7876
Original post by MTL000

Hey :-) Here's a copy of a post I wrotethe other day to somebody else who struggles with QR, hope it's helpful!

The time pressure in QR is brutal and many students find this section really difficult. I think probably our top tip is to triage the questions utilising a guess flag and skip method.

If you aim to spend about 30 seconds on each question, that will leave you with 6 minutes at the end to go over and review any flagged questions. Before even attempting a question, quickly assess it for how long it will take you, if it is clearly going to take more than 30 seconds you should guess flag and skip it and move on. In this way you artificially engineer the test so that you finish the section and don't leave any answers blank (which would be a tragedy as there is no negative marking in QR!), you secure the easy marks first, and you push the harder questions to the end of the section. It is really important as well that you incorporate realistic time pressure into your preparation so that you actually practice guessing flagging and skipping before the test itself.

In addition, really work on your basic mental maths (addition/subtraction, converting fractions to decimals etc) so that you rely on the on-screen calculator as little as possible; it is such a cumbersome tool!

Also, do not be afraid to be quite audacious in estimating. Remember, it is multiple choice examination, the answer is already on the page and rarely needs to be calculated precisely. This is especially true if the answer options are very 'far apart,' you can be super liberal with your estimating.

Hope that helps as some general tips, feel free to ask anything more specific and check out our online question bank UKCAT Ninja if you want some more practice questions :-)

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
just practice, its the hardest section for timing in the ukcat, i started by just trying to do it as fast as i can and time myself before proper timed because it gets stressful. things like a question with a table theres often paragraph of text at the top which often doesnt need to be read just a quick skim read to see if theres any information. i then look at the information quickly sort of the headings of the tables or axis on a graph so when you read the question i know where to look. ive used bbc bitesize in the past to make sure i can do the maths quickly like percentage change, pie charts etc so when you read the question you know how to do it in a few seconds rather than trying to work out what to do

BBC bitesize is really good - thank you! Yes, i guess with most of these things practice is key. I did one of the official UKCAT ones on their website and did pretty terribly, with 13/36 on the QR. I've pushed the exam back a month as I'm so worried about it. I work as an Engineer and spend most of my day dealing with calculations, and I can't believe how awful my basic maths is!
I agree with what JessScott, practice first until your confident before you do it timed. Make sure you know how to do simple equations, I used BBC bitesize as well for things that I haven't done for ages. I find the hardest thing with QR is the fact that they write things in a way that sounds confusing but it's actually easy. Also changing things like measurement in the answer. So you'll work it out in meters, but they ask for it in centimetres. Definitely practice and don't be afraid to mark any answer and flag it and move on if you don't think you'll manage it in a reasonable amount of time. I think the first question that I got in the actual exam I couldn't do and I felt a bit panicked because i hasn't even started properly I was running out of time towards the end, but my last couple of questions were so easy I didn't even need to calculate anything. If I spent too long at the beginning I wouldn't have got the easier marks. So don't be put off if you can't do some questions :smile:

You're exactly right - I spend far more time trying to de-code what they've actually said than I do trying to figure out the problem. Add in the time pressure and i get a bit flustered. I've rescheduled the exam to give myself a bit more time, going to spend the next couple of weeks just getting to grips with the maths and trying to get used to de-coding the questions, and will then re-start doing this timed. I currently work as an Engineer, and spend a lot of my day doing calculations, so I feel a bit embarrassed about how bad I am at it!
Hi guys!

Seen a lot of posts on this thread about practice UKCAT resources and just wanted to let you know that UKCAT has added lots more practice questions to their website here.

Plus we've just released our brand new, 100% free UKCAT Question Bank - with unlimited access and detailed performance tracking!

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending