The Student Room Group

Why do all the kids these days omit "to"?

Scroll to see replies

People around me speak like this all the time. :nopity:
Reply 61
Original post by Markh1000
South east.

Haven't heard that in North London, though it's been a while since I've been there for more than a few months at a time...
Reply 62
I hear it all the time, defo a London thing
Or when someone says 'I'm going to party hard'! Party is not a ****ing verb!
I know so many people who do this. They say things like:

'Do you want to go form?' instead of 'Do you want to go to our form room?'

'I'm going canteen.' instead of 'I'm going to the canteen.'

It doesn't really bother me. In fact, I find it kind of interesting: it's a glimpse into how our language is changing (or perhaps how people are becoming lazier :biggrin:).
Reply 65
What I'm noticing more and more is young people going all American and swapping "go and" for simply "go".

"Go and see a doctor" becomes "go see a doctor" and so on. Annoying and grammatically incorrect :fuhrer:
Reply 66
I speak like this
I've never heard anyone miss out 'to' completely. The closest you'll get where I come from it's ''I'm going t'shop'' or whatever.

T'___ is something I use/say a lot. It's a Yorkshire thing.
Reply 68
Hear it all the time, and i think i say it a lot too. Oh well.
Original post by lukejoshjedi
like, Oh my gosh I totes just got off my gap yah this September, went skiing in the french alps, payed a visit to Val D'isere. it was like actual heaven, I actually couldn't believe how immersive it was.

Amaze

Where I'm from it's not really a 'Rah' thing, more a plastic thing... :wink:
Original post by Arekkusu
Now I'm not usually ever some sort of grammar Nazi and certainly not a linguistic prescriptivist, but have people always said things like I'm going shop or come train station tonight or I've never been Scotland?

It annoys me a bit.

It's a northern thing, which has been spreading slowly...

If Thatcher had done something useful and sterilised them all this wouldn't be happening now...
Original post by TheGrandmaster
I don't mean to upset you, but you have made several grammatical errors.

'Nazi' should have a capital N.

There's no need for a comma between 'this' and 'a part'.

You didn't use a full stop at the end of your sentence.

Your grammar game is weak, bro :frown:

Unnecessary =/= incorrect, bro
Yes yes yes! So annoying!
I've never heard anybody completely omit "to" in a sentence, that's kind of weird.

My daughter has started picking up a broad Yorkshire accent, so she says t' a lot instead of 'to' so something like :

"It's lovely going t' shop int' it mama?"

lol bless her, I keep barking at her "ISN'T it!" but I don't think I'm going to get through to her. Everybody around here is very VERY broad Yorkshire, and she's in school now, so she's going to pick up the local dialect I guess it's sort of inevitable.
Reply 74
Yeah I say that, but i wouldn't say that in a formal situation, but it's just the way loads of people talk. Jam your hype fam
Guilty. I can't help it, I've lived in Chatham all my life :sad:
Reply 76
I think people have said things like this for decades where I'm from (Plymouth)...
Reply 77
Might be dependant on where you are from but I do not here that around here :smile:
I don't say it like that but I have friends who do...I've never really thought about it, I'm pretty used to being around both!
Original post by Arekkusu
Now I'm not usually ever some sort of grammar Nazi and certainly not a linguistic prescriptivist, but have people always said things like I'm going shop or come train station tonight or I've never been Scotland?

It annoys me a bit.

Its regional, but I guess people wanna speed up the message they're trying to get across.

Or maybe they think it sounds cool?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending