The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

At my school GS is entirely voluntary and we aren't given any teaching for it at all, but simply get a single past paper for each module so that we'd know what to expect. I bought a Letts guide to supplement this and I found it moderately useful, but I could probably have still got the same grade without it. I would suggest that it is a good general test: it tests intelligence and general knowledge. The year's results were interesting, some people who got grades A or B in their other AS's got E in GS, and a couple even failed, but still quite a few people got As. The individual module marks came out weirdly as well, as I got 100% in four modules but considerably lower in the other two, when I'm sure I didn't do perfectly in the exam!

The only reason I put myself forward for it was to be able to say I got five A-levels and everyone will think I'm brainy, and so that my UCAS reference can say I got over 90% in a lot of modules without having to specify the subject :biggrin:

I would recommend anyone to have a shot at it, you don't have to certificate it if you get a bad grade.
Reply 61
GS is a waste of time...
Unregistered
GS is a waste of time...

It only takes the time it takes to sit the exam though...plus a quick flick through the past papers....
Reply 63
My school's sixth form devotes an hour a week to GS.
Reply 64
Lord Huntroyde

There are so many political retards at my school- at least general studies helps them have an opinon- the boys (sorry not being sexist its true) usually grunt in response to everything
Lord Huntroyde

I imagine GS lessons would be pretty interesting -- and they would almost certainly improve results in the GS exams.... but I meant to say that GS can be successfully done without them.

Latest

Trending

Trending