The Student Room Group

Some A Levels aren't accepted when applying for University courses.

Does anyone know why Business Studies isn't an accepted A Level for quite a few Computer Science Uni courses?
Original post by CallmeShoba
Does anyone know why Business Studies isn't an accepted A Level for quite a few Computer Science Uni courses?

I havent come across that. What universities are that. Sometimes it isnt accepted together with Economics as they are similar subjects. This can also be the case with Maths/Further Maths or Biology/Human Biology.

It is not a preferred subject for some universities but that doesnt mean it isnt accepted. A few universities prefer 2 subjects in the preferred list. Business Studies is usually accepted as a 3rd.
I've just looked at the first five Universities on the UCAS list and none of them say that they don't accept Business studies. Where did you hear this?
Reply 3
Original post by bamtutor
I've just looked at the first five Universities on the UCAS list and none of them say that they don't accept Business studies. Where did you hear this?

Imperial College Computing courses don't accept it, I've seen. Plus, other Computer Science uni/job ambassadors have recommended not taking Business Studies for some reason?
Original post by CallmeShoba
Imperial College Computing courses don't accept it, I've seen. Plus, other Computer Science uni/job ambassadors have recommended not taking Business Studies for some reason?

I have looked at a number of others and they dont state it. Imperial is 1 university. You state quite a few. Who are the other 3 or 4.
The best bet is to look at the ones you want to study at and then check their individual entry requirements.
Original post by swanseajack1
I have looked at a number of others and they dont state it. Imperial is 1 university. You state quite a few. Who are the other 3 or 4.

LSE and warwick
This is an old thread so should be reopened. This info is wrong. LSE accepts Business Studies as a non preferred subject when offered with 2 preferred subjects. I believe Warwick does as well. Here is LSE's policy

We consider traditional academic subjects to be the best preparation for studying at LSE. We expect applicants to offer at least two full A-levels or IBDP Higher Levels in these subjects (although typically, applicants will apply with three or four); please see the list below for guidance. Some subjects provide a less effective preparation for study at LSE. We refer to these as non-preferred subjects; please see the list below for guidance. These subjects should only be offered in combination with two traditional academic subjects. Finally, there are a small number of A-levels which are normally excluded from our standard offer; please see the list below. Applicants should offer three full A-levels or equivalent alongside these subjects. Common traditional academic/'generally preferred' subjects:

Ancient History

Biology

Classical Civilisation

Chemistry

Computing

Economics

Electronics

English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)

Further Mathematics*

Geography

Government and Politics

History

Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**

Law

Mathematics

Music

Philosophy

Physics

Psychology

Religious Studies

Sociology

[start]Common "non-preferred" subjects:[/start]

Any Applied A-level

Accounting****

Art and Design

Business Studies

Citizenship Studies

Communication and Culture

Creative Writing

Design and Technology

Drama/Theatre Studies***

Film Studies

Health and Social Care

Home Economics

Information and Communication Technology

Leisure Studies

Media Studies

Music Technology

Physical Education/Sports Studies

Travel and Tourism

[start]Normally excluded subjects:[/start]

Critical Thinking

General Studies

Global Perspectives and Research

Knowledge and Enquiry

Project Work

Thinking Skills

Warwick do accept it. They only dont accept it together with an overlapping subject ie typically Economics or Accountancy

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements#:~:text=Applicants%20are%20required,Business%20School%20courses.
Thanks for clarifying!
However I am not sure if it is recommended by the uni. Warwick Business School's BSc in Management, the preferred subjects do not include business studies.
Original post by anonymous_3355
Thanks for clarifying!
However I am not sure if it is recommended by the uni. Warwick Business School's BSc in Management, the preferred subjects do not include business studies.

Universities have lists of preferred subjects and require 2 subjects to be taken from these. The 3rd subject can be taken from non preferred subjects other than a few that they dont accept at all. This applies to universities like UCL, LSE and Sheffield which publish lists.
This is taken from Warwick Business School. It is the similar subjects they dont accept not Business Studies.

What we’re looking for to study BSc Management
[start]Are you ready to embrace independence on an exciting journey to realise your career potential? We welcome future change makers who are critical thinkers, solution focused and have a desire to become part of the next generation of business and management professionals. [/start]
Entry requirements

A levels: A*AA

A level Accounting and Business Studies are considered overlapping subjects

Original post by swanseajack1
Universities have lists of preferred subjects and require 2 subjects to be taken from these. The 3rd subject can be taken from non preferred subjects other than a few that they dont accept at all. This applies to universities like UCL, LSE and Sheffield which publish lists.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending