The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dude
so who else out there watches pokemon.

Its not on the limited array of channels i can get (Terrestrial, a few Digital channels, and D2Mac stuff which is all foreign), so no, not any more.
Reply 61
i can watch it every day as it is on at 4.30pm on sky mix.
Reply 62
lets bring this thread back.
Reply 63
It's a real shame. Pokemon used to be so 'in'. You couldn't go anywhere without seeing pokémon cards or memrabilia. Now? It seems pokémon has disappeared and been replaced with crap spinoffs like 'digimon' ?! I say bring back pokémon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Katie Heskins
It's a real shame. Pokemon used to be so 'in'. You couldn't go anywhere without seeing pokémon cards or memrabilia. Now? It seems pokémon has disappeared and been replaced with crap spinoffs like 'digimon' ?! I say bring back pokémon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Digimon hasn't really become a fad though.
And pokemon's enduring sales for the GBA are testiment that it is still popular.
But the cards have gone way out. My cousin just gave his collection to my little bro. There was a time that giving away stuff like Charizard was crazy...
And i still have a couple of thousand cards at home...
And, not to sound to geeky about it, or anything, i've got a first edition blastiose from the original set, pristine condition!
Reply 65
How do you get a Pikachu on a bus.

Pokémon!

Hahahashhahahaaaa.. sigh :|

Not a fan myself.
Gimp
How do you get a Pikachu on a bus.

Pokémon!

Hahahashhahahaaaa.. sigh :|

Not a fan myself.

Well, surely if its trained enough, you would just tell it too...
I seriously need to grow up!
Reply 67
Katie Heskins

Which proves who the true fans are. Most people only followed it cos it was the new fad, and when it was no longer as popular as it was, the only people left were the true fans.
Dude
Which proves who the true fans are. Most people only followed it cos it was the new fad, and when it was no longer as popular as it was, the only people left were the true fans.

Welll, even though i'm not into it any more, i can still see the good game mechanics in the GBC and GBA games, and do actually play them on occasion.
But i've got into Magic: The Gathering now, so am not playing the card game any more.
I did make up this really good game with the cards though, which was basically simulating the Gameboy version and stuff. It was really good...

:rolleyes:
Reply 69
Iluvatar
Welll, even though i'm not into it any more, i can still see the good game mechanics in the GBC and GBA games, and do actually play them on occasion.
But i've got into Magic: The Gathering now, so am not playing the card game any more.
I did make up this really good game with the cards though, which was basically simulating the Gameboy version and stuff. It was really good...

:rolleyes:

so in a way, you are a semie fan. Most fans these days are either a fan of the show, or the game (i'm both).

Can one of the mods move this to the "Books, TV and Films section plz.
Dude
so in a way, you are a semie fan. Most fans these days are either a fan of the show, or the game (i'm both).

Can one of the mods move this to the "Books, TV and Films section plz.

Well, yeah, sort of.
The show isn't on the channels i can get, so thats partly why i stopped watching it.
I think, if it was on, i might watch it still though.
I used to be seriously into pokémon strategy.

My team:-

Zapdos - Thunderwave, Thunderbolt, Double team, rest
Slowbro - Amnesia, Psychic, Rest, Surf
Snorlax - Ice Beam, Body Slam, Amnesia, Rest
Venusaur - Swords Dance, Body Slam, Razor Leaf, Mega Drain
Starmie - Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Double Team, Rest
Alakazam - Psychic, Kinesis, Thunderwave, Recover

www.eek2.com/www.pokevision.com (my old site)

www.azureheights.com (a great site)

Strategy in that game is seriously deep.
dazmanultra
I used to be seriously into pokémon strategy.

My team:-

Zapdos - Thunderwave, Thunderbolt, Double team, rest
Slowbro - Amnesia, Psychic, Rest, Surf
Snorlax - Ice Beam, Body Slam, Amnesia, Rest
Venusaur - Swords Dance, Body Slam, Razor Leaf, Mega Drain
Starmie - Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Double Team, Rest
Alakazam - Psychic, Kinesis, Thunderwave, Recover

www.eek2.com/www.pokevision.com (my old site)

www.azureheights.com (a great site)

Strategy in that game is seriously deep.

Starmie???
Hmm... rather an unusual choice.
Any rreason in particular?
Reply 73
Iluvatar
Starmie???

it's s good water,psychic pokemon
Dude
it's s good water,psychic pokemon

But there are better pokemon though, and the two types make it more vunerable in my opinion, and its stats aren't good enough to compentsate.
Iluvatar
Starmie???

Strong stats, good range of moves and TMs/HMs it can learn. Being psychic type is useful too. Some people prefer to use Psychic over Ice Beam or Blizzard for STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus - a pokemon get's a 50% attack bonus when using a move of the same element type as its own).

In R/B/Y, the psychic type was hugely overpowered. It had no weaknesses, apart from ghost and bug. However, there was only one ghost attack in the whole game - lick, which did fixed damage, and only leech life was the only bug attack that didn't do fixed damage.

Parasect was the only pokemon to learn leech life. Parasect can actually be very powerful - some moveset based around spore (the most accurate sleep move in the game) and swords dance could possibly work, or perhaps even a double-rester type moveset could be effective in some circumstances. In any case, leech life is an incredibly weak attack.

The "special" stat was also hugely overpowered, since special defense and special attack were a single stat. A pokemon using amnesia can raise its special to 999, use STAB and take out a Mewtwo in one hit. The "tobybro" which is a name for a slowbro which has learnt certain moves could annihilate a whole team once it got going. Even electric attacks would do very little damage once the special was raised so high. Slowbro also has great defense, so even physical attacks do very little damage. Using rest also removes any status ailments too. Only thing that could possibly take down a tobybro might be a very lucky electrode (screech, double team, explosion, thunderwave).
Iluvatar
But there are better pokemon though, and the two types make it more vunerable in my opinion, and its stats aren't good enough to compentsate.

You know nothing. :wink:

http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/pokedex/species/121.htm

Starmie has some of the best stats.

Starmie is indeed weak to electric types, but then why would you put a water type in against an electric type, or keep it in against one? :confused:
dazmanultra
Strong stats, good range of moves and TMs/HMs it can learn. Being psychic type is useful too. Some people prefer to use Psychic over Ice Beam or Blizzard for STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus - a pokemon get's a 50% attack bonus when using a move of the same element type as its own).

In R/B/Y, the psychic type was hugely overpowered. It had no weaknesses, apart from ghost and bug. However, there was only one ghost attack in the whole game - lick, which did fixed damage, and only leech life was the only bug attack that didn't do fixed damage.

Parasect was the only pokemon to learn leech life. Parasect can actually be very powerful - some moveset based around spore (the most accurate sleep move in the game) and swords dance could possibly work, or perhaps even a double-rester type moveset could be effective in some circumstances. In any case, leech life is an incredibly weak attack.

The "special" stat was also hugely overpowered, since special defense and special attack were a single stat. A pokemon using amnesia can raise its special to 999, use STAB and take out a Mewtwo in one hit. The "tobybro" which is a name for a slowbro which has learnt certain moves could annihilate a whole team once it got going. Even electric attacks would do very little damage once the special was raised so high. Slowbro also has great defense, so even physical attacks do very little damage. Using rest also removes any status ailments too. Only thing that could possibly take down a tobybro might be a very lucky electrode (screech, double team, explosion, thunderwave).

Well, in my experience, Starmie wasn't too good. Even after intense training, its only average, and can be beaten quite easily by alot of other 'mon.
I never got the point of people using rest either. In the time it takes to heal, my usual team could beat it easily.
And yes, psychic were overpowered, but a duel psychic/water mon leaves it open to electric.
Pikachu1
who then?

I used to collect Pokemon Cards when i was twelve when it was the crze in school, my collection rocks!!! :biggrin:

Charizard Shiny, in set one and two!

RESPECT! :cool:
Iluvatar

Surely Blastoise was a superb Pokemon.

Strong, reliable, didn't die easily, very good powers, and a water pokemon as well.

Hydro Pump was superb.

EDIT: But that was the normal pokemon, the best Pokemon was Mewtwo!!!

Mewtwo on Gameboy rocked.

I also had a friend who's dad owned a gameshop, and in the japanese gameboy version they had mew - but he was really rare.

Luckily, there was a method to transfer Mew onto the normal gameboy me and my friend had (UK Version) and my pokemon battle time was as follows:

Blastoise - Everything to max.
Charizard - Everything to max.
Zapdos - Everything to max.
Mewtwo - Everything to max.
Mew - Everything to max.

I never lost a game, ever.

Latest

Trending

Trending