The Student Room Group

Applying for Occupational Therapy or Speech and Language Therapy

Hello all,
It's great to finally be on here, I'm looking to apply for university next year and I was wondering if you anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice.
I've been working as a Health Care Assistant for the past 4 years supporting individuals with profound and complex learning disabilities. I've worked alongside OTs and members of the local SaLT team, their work has been very interesting and as such, I've decided that I would like to pursue a career in (preferably) Speech and Language or Occupational Therapy. However, I do not have any A levels (I studied IT and History many moons ago and failed in the most spectacular fashion). I do have a level 3 NVQ in Health and Social Care as well as my years of work experience. I've heard of access courses but I'm not getting any younger. I would be willing to do one but it'd be frustrating having to wait another year.
I've done a wee bit of research and found a few universities that are less inclined to choose someone who's got A levels over someone with experience.
OT: Bristol, Glasgow, Cumbria, Northumbria, Derby, Liverpool, London Brunel
SaLT: Cardiff, East Anglia, Ulster, De Montfort, Manchester Met., Reading
For OT, my top pics are London Brunel, Liverpool and Bristol
For SaLT, my top pics are Manchester Met and Reading
If you've come this far without giving up, got any advice?
Original post by Thomasunde92
Hello all,
It's great to finally be on here, I'm looking to apply for university next year and I was wondering if you anyone would be kind enough to give me some advice.
I've been working as a Health Care Assistant for the past 4 years supporting individuals with profound and complex learning disabilities. I've worked alongside OTs and members of the local SaLT team, their work has been very interesting and as such, I've decided that I would like to pursue a career in (preferably) Speech and Language or Occupational Therapy. However, I do not have any A levels (I studied IT and History many moons ago and failed in the most spectacular fashion). I do have a level 3 NVQ in Health and Social Care as well as my years of work experience. I've heard of access courses but I'm not getting any younger. I would be willing to do one but it'd be frustrating having to wait another year.
I've done a wee bit of research and found a few universities that are less inclined to choose someone who's got A levels over someone with experience.

Forgive my ignorance but I don't really understand the way BTECs work so don't know if your level 3 will meet the entry requirements for SaLT (I was an A level student) but I can assure you that all unis will reject you if you do not meet the entry qualifications stated (even down to achieving the GCSE levels requested). I have seen people rejected because they didn't get grade B in maths GCSE as this was a listed requirement.

SaLT is very competitive so experience helps but it wont get you in on its own.

Most "mature" students I know did the access course to satisify the academic requirements.

Good luck
Hi there,

If you're looking at Brunel your best bet would be to contact the admissions team and they can advise you about the course entry requirements and qualifications.

Here is where you can contact them
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 01895 268786

Good luck! If you have any other questions about life at Brunel or the course, don't hesitate to get in contact :smile:

- Gemma
Original post by AmyPilot
Forgive my ignorance but I don't really understand the way BTECs work so don't know if your level 3 will meet the entry requirements for SaLT (I was an A level student) but I can assure you that all unis will reject you if you do not meet the entry qualifications stated (even down to achieving the GCSE levels requested). I have seen people rejected because they didn't get grade B in maths GCSE as this was a listed requirement.

SaLT is very competitive so experience helps but it wont get you in on its own.

Most "mature" students I know did the access course to satisify the academic requirements.

Good luck

This is good advice - it is worth contacting each individual University to find out exactly what their entry requirements are. Courses linked to Allied Health Professions usually place an emphasis on acquiring experience alongside qualifications before the application process. I think that your current experience working as a Health Care Assistant would definitely fulfil this criteria, but it can't do any harm gaining some additional experience if you are able to. For example, working with individuals who have suffered strokes provides direct experience which is relevant to Speech and Language Therapy.

There exists a number of parallels between both occupations, but they are also very different in many ways. Speech and Language courses will extensively cover the physiological and anatomical theory which underpins the production of sound (from a human perspective). Occupational Therapy courses also contain a good amount of scientific theory relating to the functioning of the human body, but this obviously extends beyond the scope of SaLT, tackling problems related to mobility and motor coordination (although these topics may be covered by some SaLT courses as well). Both courses include clinical placements, and both professions work within a variety of settings, including client's homes. Consider your own personal strengths, and how they could be applied to each profession.

I am also uncertain as to whether or not your NVQ qualification would be accepted by Universities, but completing an Access course would obviously give you an added advantage during the application stage (assuming you did well on the course). It is worth bearing in mind that you can access funding to pay for an Access course if you are aged 24 or above (24+ Learning Loan), but you are not entitled to any money to cover living costs whilst you complete it (someone correct me if I am wrong on that). You may find that your current qualification meets the entry criteria - again, it is worth checking with individual Universities. Don't worry too much about the age thing - lots of mature students are to be found on Allied Health Profession courses (or so I've heard!).
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you, very informative!
Original post by Thomasunde92
Hello all,

Hello there,

Cardiff Metropolitan University also offer Speech and Language Therapy course: BSc (Hons) Speech and Language Therapy Degree Course - Cardiff Metropolitan University - Study in Cardiff. It is one of the popular courses at Cardiff Met.

Your level 3 qualification looks fine, and there is no UCAS tariff points needed, but we will need to assess the qualifications first. The programme director will assess your application as a whole. We would suggest you apply via UCAS, and we can assess your application for you.

If you wish to speak to the academics before applying, you can contact [email protected] and they will be able to assist you, or just drop an email to us via [email protected] and we are happy to answer the questions you may have.😄

Cardiff Met Admissions. 😄
Reply 6
I work in Adult LD SLT and we'd LOVE someone with practical experience who "gets" the client group! They're not a group of people that everyone can work well with and communicate at the right level with - I love working in LD but I know it scared a lot of students on my course off. I know when we recruit that is the main thing we're really looking for - we can teach a good candidate the teachable stuff, but having the ability to relate to the client group is the bit that you really have to have wired into you.

I went to De Montfort - they were a fantastic uni in terms of support they gave students, and I know they really really valued practical experience over academic superstars (I was a mature student with a bit of both to be fair). It's always worth contacting the admissions tutors for the specific courses for information - to be honest, that gives you a bit of a feel for how they're likely to be supporting you as a student.

To be fair my knowledge of Pokemon, random video game trivia and random bits of geographical knowledge have been of far more use with some of my ASD clients than anything I covered in my ancient A-Levels!

Quick Reply

Latest